[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Simple problems thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1420421248512.png (37KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
1420421248512.png
37KB, 500x364px
I remember a probability question posted here, I think the solution used Bayes' theorem to solve it,

It was basically this: Suppose you have 2 bags, one of them contains 10 red chips and one of them contains 50 red chips and 50 blue chips. You take one bag and pour out 10 chips, they all happen to be red.

What is the probability that you picked the bag with blue chips in it?
What is the probability that the next coin you take out is a blue coin (assuming you still don't know which bag you have)?
>>
>>9108196
one of them contains 100 red chips*
>>
>>9108196
At one time I probably would've been able to solve this.

Is it the probability of getting ten red chips out of the bag with blue chips times the probability of choosing the bag with blue chips (50%)?

so like 0.02967%?? for the first question
>>
>>9108229

yeah, first one is easy, just use the F.C.P. and multiply your events. Basically you have 11 events. The first is the .5 chance you even pick the right bag, and then you'll have the probability of pulling out a red chip each successive turn. Easy.

For the second one just multiply (.5) x (50/90), since there's still a 50% chance you have the right bag and then just multiply the P(blue) if you do have the right bag
>>
>>9108238
right, thanks

that goat thing with the three doors destroyed all my confidence concerning these types of questions lol
>>
>>9108238
After drawing 10 reds in a row the chance you have the blues bag is significantly less than 50%. You have to update that discrete uniform assumption like this

P(bag with blue | draw 10 reds) = P(bag with blue and draw 10 reds) / P(draw 10 reds) = P(draw 10 reds | bag with blue) * P(bag with blue (this is the .5 probability)) / P(draw 10 reds)

Whichever one is easier to solve. It makes more intuitive sense to update the probability too. P(not bag with blue | 10r ) = 1 - the one above obviously.
>>
>>9108344
And that's called bayesian updating, if you were doing any serious application you would take all information into account to adjust your "prior" distributions. First you choose 50 50 between the two bags but as you draw more and more reds you're thinking the chance you picked the bag with no blues is higher.
The general form is
New distribution given some information = Probability of information given old distribution times old distribution divided by the information given old distribution integrated/summed over all possibilities of old (a normalizing constant)

Formally "new" is called posterior and "old" is prior
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.