[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Popular Science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 5

File: 1492480859376.png (650KB, 940x960px) Image search: [Google]
1492480859376.png
650KB, 940x960px
Someone please explain to me what is wrong with popsci meme.

What exactly is wrong with it? Is it bad that it creates a false sense of intellectual superiority in the common normie? Is it spreading wrong information? Did it make of science something laughable?

I find it stupid, but is there really a justification for it feeling.. i dunno, odd?
>>
File: 1502431460519.jpg (55KB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
1502431460519.jpg
55KB, 426x426px
It is used as a tool to use by the brainlets to give an apparent scientific explanation for their nonsense
It makes science both popular but also elitist; meaning that it is used as a way to feel superior. When scientist must be humble and inclusive
Making it popular to a mass that falls for memes all the time will mean that science funds and such will be used to fund meme science and projects instead of feasible and useful projects and investigations
Scienceā„¢ answers to the modern man's obsession with efficiency and dehumanization; wanting to make everything convenient and overly complicated will be very damaging for the human mind
Progress for the sake of progress
Promotes slacktivism and the mindset that originates it
Because brainlets must know their place
Because brainlets who think that they like science will use it to feel superior to people who do not care about science
>>
File: 1500946016935.png (173KB, 710x485px) Image search: [Google]
1500946016935.png
173KB, 710x485px
>>9103648
Elitists and retards are usually the same people.
>>
File: 1497279123587.jpg (39KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
1497279123587.jpg
39KB, 443x332px
"When your former secretary honoured me by asking me to read a paper to your society, my first thought was that I would certainly do it and my second thought was that if I was to have the opportunity to speak to you I should speak about something which I am keen on communicating to you and that I should not misuse this opportunity to give you a lecture about, say, logic. I call this a misuse, for to explain a scientific matter to you it would need a course of lectures and not an hour's paper. Another alternative would have been to give you what's called a popular scientific lecture, that is a lecture intended to make you believe that you understand a thing which actually you don't understand, and to gratify what I believe to be one of the lowest desires of modern people, namely the superficial curiosity about the latest discoveries of science." - Wittgenstein, A lecture on ethics
>>
>>9103648

The only thing that I hate about it is the fact that it never encourages people to read up on the stuff presented. It sells some scientific concepts to normies without showing the background and limitations, which is okay, aslong as you hint on the fact that by knowing what they just presented you, you merely scratched the surface and actually do not know shit besides some trivia which you can write on the cover of a book which actually provides deeper content.
>>
File: 1266722696908.png (106KB, 351x285px) Image search: [Google]
1266722696908.png
106KB, 351x285px
>>9103648
>Procreation
>Tesla
>>
>>9103648
>Being such a brainlet that you don't understand that Pop Science is an important part of society and is good for real science.

>implying Sub-species is a scientific concept and not a load of nonsense pop science BS so people can categorize the equivalent of dog breeds
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.