[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here start university way behind in math? The highest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1497021879636.jpg (331KB, 753x707px) Image search: [Google]
1497021879636.jpg
331KB, 753x707px
Anyone here start university way behind in math?
The highest math I took in high school was Algebra 1 and Geometry, then I graduated and started working. I started university in my late 20s.
Who has any experience starting at the bottom with remedial classes and starting out way behind?
>>
>>9103542
Bumping because I am in a similar situation, although I am much younger than you. Is there a proper way of going about re-learning math up until geometry?
>>
>>9103542
plenty of people...wont take that long to get caught up just by taking your classes. do lots of practice problems
>>
>>9103542
Don't feel ashamed, once you catch up literally nobody will know or give a shit
>>
>>9103542
I can't speak firsthand, but as somebody who has TA'd these kind of classes before your goal should not be to get into remedial courses.
I don't mean to insult you or anyone else but high school algebra is very, very easy. You can absolutely get most of it on your own in a few months unless you're too lazy to take it remotely seriously or in the bottom 2% of people who are just unfortunately cripplingly stupid (these categories account for most of the students I saw), and neither of those belong in a classroom.

There are plenty of free resources on youtube that are great, you can get a book off libgen if you want, there's khan academy, if you get stuck the sqt here will help you for free, etc. etc.
Starting off on equal footing rather than behind is a better idea.
>>
>have to complete a major specific math course sequence
>already have 2/5 classes done
>uni suddenly stops offering that sequence
>units don't transfer to other sequence, can't test out because I already have credit in one sequence
>have to start at pre-calc again
At least it should be an easy A now
>>
>dropped out of highschool
>joined army
>left army
>goto state college as english major
>basic math required
>take calc1 "wow math is fun"
>starting master for mechanical engineering soon.
>>
I have a BS in physics and I started in my mid 20s with intermediate algebra. It was just order of operations, rational vs irrational numbers, coordinate systems, numbers lines, etc... It doesn't matter where you start.
>>
>>9103542
I have to start with Algebra 1. I just finished my first semester and waiting summer to be over. I passed all my classes and always did my homework. You're the only one, OP. I am 23 BTW
>>
>>9103670
Here is my schele by the way

1st semster: Alg 1
2second: Alg 2 and geo
Summer school: Trig

Finally, I'll get to cal 1.
>>
>>9103672
this sums it up well

after a year, who gives a shit
>>
Is it actually quite possible to get to cal 1 in a year. However, it's just really hard and here's why.

Alg 1 and 2 in the first semester.
Geo in winter session
Trig In call

Ca1 1 in summer in 5 weeks
Cal 2 in summer in 5 weeks

This is really hard to do. Math in 5 weeks is really boring but I mean if you really want to.
>>
>>9103697
>Trig In call
Trig in the second semester
>>
>>9103646
I went in the army too. Didn't drop out of high school but didn't take anything but the bare minimum classes to graduate.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.