[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So uh, it's agreed here that string theory is bullshit right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Calabi_yau_formatted.svg.png (60KB, 215x224px) Image search: [Google]
Calabi_yau_formatted.svg.png
60KB, 215x224px
So uh, it's agreed here that string theory is bullshit right?
>>
>>9101498
string theory is just not proove
>>
>>9101498
>Any day now and there will be proof!
It's fancy math at best. Ideally there should be experiments that can be performed between ST, QT and GR. Depending on the scenario, if ST is correct, there are cases where ST can provide correct predictions that neither QT or GR can provide. In other scenarios, ST should reduce down to QT or GR.

We have yet to see experiments carried out. I'm not holding my breath.
>>
>>9101960
so why has nobody done these experiments?
>>
>>9101965

Nobody can think of such an experiment that would be realistically doable.

String theorists like to say that their extra dimensions only come into play at Planck energy scales, conveniently high above any foreseeable collider energies, although what sort of length scales this energy would need to be concentrated over isn't really given.
>>
>>9101498
>>9101965
It's purely theoretical and should be thought of as a framework that is not very prescriptive (except having to fit with the observable universe). As such, theoretical physicists can brew up their own versions of string theory with slight variations. There's not really any experiment that can be carried out that confirms string theory itself. However, people can try to predict new types of interactions that might come out of their version of string theory and, if they would hypothetically be large enough to detect, design experiments around them. It's bullshit in as much as anyone considers it to be real physics.
>>
>>9101965
Because such experiments require extremes.

For example, ST claims to be able to describe gravity on the microscopic/quantum level. I don't think we can even perform experiments with gravity at that level because it's too weak of a force.

ST also claims that it can unify all four forces (gravity, electro-magnetism, weak and strong force) into one single force. They claim that doing so requires extremely high temperatures, none of which can be produced by man.

ST claims it can describe the moments right after the big bang happened where QT and GR fail. Tell me how we go about testing that one.

ST claims it can describe what happens inside of a black hole. Again, tell me how we test that.

Stuff like this is why experiments have yet to be carried out which is why I said that ST is just fancy math.
>>
Depends on which "string theory" we are talking about, of curse.

It all seem surreal, but I do think the "extra dimensions" part of it seem plausible.

At least until the 6th dimension...
>>
>>9101960
>>9101978
>>9101986
>>9101989
To be fair though, all theories of quantum gravity have this same problem, this is due to how weak gravity is, thus any quantum phenomenon from such a theory would be very hard to detect.
>>
>>9102005
>all theories of quantum gravity have this same problem
True. I will say though, ST preaches that it is the whole answer to everything when we don't know if that is the case or not. There is a lot less talk about the other theories for quantum gravity.
>>
File: BAB12.jpg (175KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
BAB12.jpg
175KB, 1600x1200px
>>9101498
>that's what goyim actually believe
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.