[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Valvular Heart Disease & Amphetamines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: heart-attack.jpg (20KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
heart-attack.jpg
20KB, 200x300px
Hey are there any space cowboys out with some knowledge in cardiology? I have been made aware recently by some concerned friends that taking amphetamines can lead to valvular heart disease, but the papers are behind a paywall and I can't read them so there's no way to know if this is a definitive causal link.

For reference I am a 5'8'' 110 lb 23 y/o student, never been overweight or obese, and had a bit of a stunted growth as a child. I've been on adderall since I was 11 years old and it seems to work for ameliorating the symptoms of ADD. The difference in ability to focus with and without my meds is like night and day so I would like to know how bad the risk of developing valvular heart disease is if I continue at my dose which is 3x20mg a workday.

I also take klonopin for anxiety since I was about 22 but that's probably an irrelevent worry, I can't imagine a sedative being as dangerous for the heart compared to a stimulant. These meds have been part of my daily routine for years and I was honestly shocked at the concern some of my friends expressed, they seem convinced that they inevitably lead to heart disease and my doctors have never warned me about this risk before.

I have never been obese, so I have not been previously worried about heart disease but last week i had my blood pressure checked I had a reading of 128/84 which is pre-hypertension. The last time it was checked was in 2012 when it was 123/82, should I be worried about this increase over 5 years?

Maybe i am overreacting but i have always heard heart disease was a sinister condition with few symptoms and often underestimated seriousness, and that its the kind of thing where you dont know that it has become much worse and one day you'll come home, go to bed or strain yourself picking up a heavy box or shitting and then suffer a massive heart attack and that''ll be the end, over in the blink of an eye and killed by something with invisible progression that's how people seem to describe it...
>>
>>9101049
G O
S E É
A
M E D I C
>>
>>9101049
>but the papers are behind a paywall
S C I - H U B
C
I
-
H
U
B
>>
>>9101049
>I am concerned about heart disease

Eat a whole-food plant-based diet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyNy2mSnNRo
>>
>>9101293
this
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.