[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turbulence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: 1280px-Airplane_vortex_edit.jpg (269KB, 1280x1041px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Airplane_vortex_edit.jpg
269KB, 1280x1041px
I heard that many aspects of turbulence are a mystery to our current knowledge of physics
Is this a popsci meme or does turbulence genuinely befuddle physicists today??!
>>
>>9100426
Fluid dynamics is not well enough understood, yes.
>>
It's not exactly mysterious, fluids have viscosity, density, energy... with enough computing power you could model turbulence pretty well.
The problem is there's no neat little equation describing turbulent flow so you have to use dirty numerical methods and approximations.
>>
>>9100426
>>
File: zeta-alternating.png (13KB, 425x134px) Image search: [Google]
zeta-alternating.png
13KB, 425x134px
>>9100426
It's related to the distribution of the zeros along the critical line, don't ask me how.
>>
>>9100445
not to mention the use of the ideal gas equation in fluid mechanics which is actually a theoretical gas, since no gas is ideal
>>
File: 2dd.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
>supersonic turbulent flow
>>
>>9100426
>>9100445
Actually for the most part we still don't completely know how turbulence is formed and certain key properties concerning it.
>>9100563
Since the inter-molecular force in air are quite weak they don't really come into play, now in plasma physics (specifically magneto-hydrodynamics) this does become relevant
>>
"If particle physics is the dazzling crown prince of science, fluid mechanics is the cantankerous Queen Mother: While her loyal subjects flatter her as being rich, mature, and insightful, many consider her to be demode, uninteresting, and difficult.In her youth, she was more attractive. Her inconsistencies were taken as paradoxes that bestowed on her an air of depth and mystery. The resolution of her paradoxes left her less beguiling abut more powerful, and marked her coming of age. She has since seen it all and has weighed in on topics ranging from cosmology to astronautics. Scientists are currently exploring whether she has any wisdom to offer on the controversial subject of quantum foundations." - John Bush, for Physics Today (August 2015)
>>
>>9100426
It's not really a mystery, we just can't model it. There's nothing unintuitive or surprising about the problem if that is what you are asking. The issue is that we have no good way of studying it in general. It's hard to make interesting or useful claims about a turbulent system because of how limited our methods are in modeling it. We can't really even simulate turbulence that we'll, since the equations lend themselves to a lot of energy drift when you try to solve them numerically. So it's more of just a hard problem than it is a mysterious one.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.