[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Biochemistry brainstorming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

File: RTGoKokTL[1].png (341KB, 917x715px) Image search: [Google]
RTGoKokTL[1].png
341KB, 917x715px
Hey /sci/, I am working on a project and would like to discuss and brainstorm a bit about certain issues and what approach is best.

This is not a "muh homework" or anything like that, just a discussion about biochemistry.

So, say that one wishes to extract an RNA-binding protein out of organ tissue, with the scope of sequencing the bound RNAs, how would one do that?

Let's say that is is for research, not clinical, purposes. So genetic manipulation is allowed.

If it were a cell culture one could create a tagged-protein via recombination and then simply use an affinity column. However is this also possible in organisms like say Drosophila or Chaenorhabditis or a similarly small model organism without using too advanced methods like CRISPR/Cas9?

Using in-vitro binding (produce the tagged protein separately, then just add it to a tissue lysate) is not a good idea since it does not allow to study the physiological conditions.

Any ideas?
>>
>If it were a cell culture one could create a tagged-protein via recombination and then simply use an affinity column. However is this also possible in organisms like say Drosophila or Chaenorhabditis or a similarly small model organism without using too advanced methods like CRISPR/Cas9?
I did something similar to that for my senior thesis in undergrad. (Note that this was 7 or 8 years ago by now, so my memory of that project had faded a bit.) I think you're on the right path, but I doubt you'd be using an affinity column to extract protein in this system. If you're over-expressing in a eukaryotic system, say HEK cells, you'd probably do an IP. From there, you could do a footprinting assay with RNAse to identify the RNA sequence bound to your protein.

The scale that you'd be expressing protein in eukaryotic cells on would probably preclude any sort of classic purification scheme, as would be done from recombinant protein over-expressed in liters of E. Coli or insect cells.

>Using in-vitro binding (produce the tagged protein separately, then just add it to a tissue lysate) is not a good idea since it does not allow to study the physiological conditions.
I agree with this. If you take recombinantly over-expressed protein and incubate with tissue lysate, you'll run the risk of non-specific interactions with RNA or DNA or other proteins, plus the hazard of introducing any number of proteases to purified protein.
Thread posts: 2
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.