[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anti-Matter vs Solar Energy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: idrogeno-anti[1].gif (57KB, 520x333px) Image search: [Google]
idrogeno-anti[1].gif
57KB, 520x333px
Simple but annoying question from a person with no science or math background.

What would have more power?
>The entire solar power of all earth? (not just how many solar panels we have or how strong our panels are, but all the heat and radiation that hits earth from our sun)
>A Kilogram of Anti-Matter?

I have a strong feeling the Anti-Matter. But if mistaken would love to know how much anti-matter it would take to beat all that solar energy.
>>
Wikipedia puts average daily solar irradiance at 21.6MJ per square meter. Multiplying by the surface area of the Earth and dividing by two (since only half the planet is facing the sun at a time), we get 5.48x10^21 Joules.

A kilogram of antimatter would annihilate with a kilogram of matter, releasing energy according to e=mc^2. For the total 2 kilograms of mass, we get 1.78x10^20 Joules.

So by these estimates, it would take roughly 30 kg of antimatter to equal the energy the Earth receives from the Sun in a day.
>>
>>9098965
The solar energy intercepted by the Earth at any given time is around 173,000TW (a calculation using the solar constant, radius of the earth and that of the sun)..

Energy produced by 1kg of antimatter reacting with matter is around 600MJ (easy calculation of e=mc^2)

So in an extremely tiny fraction of a second, the solar energy wins. You should be able to work out the numbers to break even (divide the power of solar energy by the nergy of the kilogram of antimatter to get how many times more you need for an equality during one second)
>>
>>9098988
>Energy produced by 1kg of antimatter reacting with matter is around 600MJ (easy calculation of e=mc^2)

1 kg of matter + 1 kg of antimatter = 1.8*e17 J

E=mc^2
E=2 kg*9e16 J/kg
E=1.8e17 J
>>
>>9099081
derp, I forgot the kg is the base unit for mass >.>

So it would take more like 30,000 kg of antimatter.

That's a lot indeed.
>>
>>9099096
>So it would take more like 30,000 kg of antimatter.

30K kg of matter and 30K kg of antimatter would produce the same amount of energy as 8 hours and 40 minutes of sunlight falling over the entire planet.
>>
>>9098965
>no science or math background
acquire background fgt pls
>>
Is it true that antimatter goes "back in time"?
I call BS, but I'm ignorant.
>>
>>9099287
no
>>
>>9098965
Power means usable energy. Since we can't really use antimatter energy in a really useful way because it's just gamma radiation, no matter how much antimatter you get, sunlight aways wins.
>>
>>9099287
Antimatter is mathematically equivalent to time reversed matter, but the physical importance of this is debatable.

It's modeled as such when using Feynman diagrams in QED. Feynman seemed to think there was a significance to this, but again, this is debatable.
>>
>>9098988
>dividing by two (since only half the planet is facing the sun at a time),
That triggered me.
>>
>>9099759
Thanks
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.