[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vision Problems?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: Trash Dogger.jpg (105KB, 386x720px) Image search: [Google]
Trash Dogger.jpg
105KB, 386x720px
Hey Sci, I have a strange issue maybe you can help me with.

Sometimes, when I am relaxed and focused I begin to see color swirls that come from the back of my vision towards the center, obfuscating what I can actually see. It only ever seems to happen when I am tired (sleepy chill) or relaxed and focused on something. These swirls range from green, red and purple sometimes blue.

Do I have some sort of neurological issue?
>>
bemp
>>
Bumperino
>>
>>9095344
Yes.
>>
>>9095344

It's a brain tumor.
>>
>>9095344
Ask a doctor.
>>
>>9097854
/thread
>>
>>9097844
>>9097854
>>9097864
>>9097842

I also suffer from visual snow. I told this to my doc and he didn't know what it was
>>
>>9095344
If it's colored and in your central vision then something is fucking with the cones in your macula. You need to see an retinal opthalmologist ASAP and ask them for an OCT and/ or ERG. Tell them what you're seeing.

My condition messes with my rod cells instead of my cones, but I have the same thing where I see weird flickering and swirls and white flashes when I'm tired.

t. anon with retinal disease
>>
>>9098507
>>9098548
I have visual snow too actually.

How long have you had symptoms?
>>
>>9098553

For...5 years now. It began when I was 17 really depressed and started taking psychiatric medication. I can't really tell which drug caused it, but I think it might have been either Ritalin, Strattera or Modafinil. I know for a fact that Modafinil worsens it temporarily when I take it.
>>
>>9098577
Does it get worse with stress, heat, or exercise? Has it suddenly gotten worse? Do you have a family history of autoimmune disease?
>>
>>9098584

I think it gets worse with stress, my tinnitus gets worse too or because I am stressed I pay more attention to it. I am not really which is true.

I can't say about heat or exercise. I know heat makes me feel like crap, but exercise does help my mood.

>Do you have a family history of autoimmune disease?

I do not know.
>>
>>9098593
God damn, you have tinnitus too? Again, have the weird flashes been pretty stable or has it gotten worse recently?

What state are you in? You might have the same thing and it's really underdiagnosed, so it's important you go to the right place.
>>
>>9098584
>Has it suddenly gotten worse?

I can't remember desu, I think it has remained stable over the years, getting worse temporarily with stress or when I take modafinil.

It sucks, because it becomes really noticeable at night.
I also suffer from Rhinitis (been with it for like 5 years now too), not sure if that helps you in someway.
>>
>>9098593
Do you wear glasses?
>>
>>9098605

>Again, have the weird flashes been pretty stable or has it gotten worse recently?

You mean the color swirls? They've been pretty stable. I can command them at will if I pay attention at something with effort for a couple minutes.

>What state are you in?

I am usually depressed, lethargic, irritable and unmotivated unless I take Modafinil to work (Which is very effective)
>>
>>9098616

Yes.
>>
>>9098613
I don't have rhinitis but I do have pretty bad food allergies. I don't suppose you've been shedding hair, have you?

I haven't met anyone with something similar so I'm sort of intrigued right now.

>>9098630
I meant state as in physical location. Mine also started around the same age when I was super depressed.

>>9098635
Holy fuck
>>
>>9098640
>I don't suppose you've been shedding hair, have you?

Yes, it seems to have lessened after increasing my exercise

>I meant state as in physical location. Mine also started around the same age when I was super depressed.

Oh, I live in Europe. Northern Spain, closing in the border with France.

>I do have pretty bad food allergies.

Certain foods make me sleepy, but I have not been able to pin point which ones exactly. Besides that, I do not seem to suffer from any serious food allergies.
>>
>>9098640
>>9098655

I also suffer from Dandruff quite a lot. Not sure if that's an issue for you.
>>
>>9098655
Damn, that's crazy. I have a little bit of dandruff but not nearly enough to worry about. I'm shedding tons of hair all over though.

I'm not really sure who to see in Europe, but I'm seeing one of the higher-ups in the American Opthalmology Association, and I'm trying to get in with this NIH researcher. You should definitely get your retinas checked out though. We should definitely keep in touch in the off-chance that you also have AZOOR/ autoimmune retinopathy. This shit is so rare and so little is known about it that it would be really neat to compare notes.
>>
>>9098655
>>9098680
Also the thing with this stuff is that it's not immediately obvious what is going on just by them looking inside your eyes with a special lens. The retinal pigment layer that's experiencing damage is actually underneath the surface of the retina so they can't assess the full scope of the problem without either an OCT, ERG, or autofluorescence imaging. They'll either tell you nothing is wrong and send you somewhere else, or try to tell you that you have retinitis pigmentosa/ cone dystrophy even though that doesn't make sense.

Be on the lookout if they say that your retinal blood vessels are thinning out. That's a sign that you might have AIR/ AZOOR.
>>
>>9098680

Sure, why not. It would be great to know if you find success. My Gmail is Saurax7gmail.com
>>
>>9098680
>>9098695

I am saving this on a note, I'll see if my doc can arrange an appointment with a professional and I'll try to explain it to him.
>>
>>9098697
>>9098704
Good luck anon.

I'll send you an email.
>>
>>9098719

You too Anon, and thanks a lot for the info.
>>
It's entirely likely that it's just a migraine caused by you 1.grinding your teeth 2.being dehydrated 3.being sleep deprived

It's a good idea to get it checked though, better safe than sorry.
>>
If this was some sort of autoimmune disease, one would expect my cortisol levels to be really up, right? Would a medication that reduces inflammation help with mood?
>>
>>9099842
AIR anon again.

So the theory of why AIR and AZOOR occur is that the body produces antibodies that target proteins in the retina. There is still some confusion over why people without the disease can also have circulating autoantibdodies but have no detectable signs of the disease.

I've noticed that it's heavily affected by my mood as well. It gets much worse when I'm stressed or feeling sad/ depressed, and I even had it almost completely go away temporarily after being sedated for a medical procedure. They gave me some opioid-based painkiller IV and for a few hours after waking up I had no flashing whatsoever and my visual field had expanded nearly back to normal. I've done some reading and apparently dopamine is heavily tied with photoreceptor development and function, so there is still part of me that wonders if this all couldn't be a neurotransmitter imbalance of some sort.

I'm on 2.5g daily of mycophenolate mofetil (cellcept), which is an immunosuppressant, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything for my vision. I have another followup in two weeks and he's probably either going to switch to a more powerful medication or change the course of treatment entirely.

You may not have the same thing, but it's still worth getting your eyes checked first and foremost.
>>
>>9100010

Thank you for all the info once again Anon. I was asking because I have noticed certain medications that decrease inflammation or work to increase dopamine and/or lower cortisol, have a significant positive effect on my mood and my horrible rhinnitis and improve my vision.

These include Ibuprofen, Dextroamphetamines and Testosterone injections.
-

It might not be related at all, but it's a thought I have in mind.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.