[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magnetic Fields

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: Bar Magnet Thing.png (77KB, 523x346px) Image search: [Google]
Bar Magnet Thing.png
77KB, 523x346px
I was wondering how would one explain the math/physics behind a theoretical monopole (I know that maxwell's equations amongst others says otherwise) Would someone who is quite informative on the physics behind why this setup of bar magnets would not create a monopole? Diagrams of the field lines would help, also an explanation on showing how to add/cancel the field lines would be appreciated. Also a slight explanation on the law's and some documents/links that may assist in my understanding.
>>
File: Magnets.gif (4KB, 642x413px) Image search: [Google]
Magnets.gif
4KB, 642x413px
>>9092880
A magnetic monopole would have magnetic field lines that only point towards (or away from) the monopole.

Your diagram fails to take into account 3D space.

Now I know you are thinking about doing the same idea only with a sphere of magnets. I'm curious about it too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force

F=qE+ vq x B
qE is just the force on the charge q in an electric field E.

vq x B is the force on a moving charge q in the presence of the magnetic field B (note: x is the cross product). This part is analogous to my 3rd link. If v is zero, there is no contribution here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferromagnetism#Explanation

Shit gets complicated. I think this is where the spherical arrangement might be broken. Internal cancellations and such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnet#Physics

Moving charges create magnetic fields.
Basically, linearly moving charges create a spiraling magnetic field around the line of motion.

It's really hard to visualize adding field lines.
You really need vector calculus, vector valued functions, curl, gradient, divergence.

The gradient of a potential gets you the field.
This works for gravitational potential as well as electric potential.
>>
Yeah I was thinking about the 3D just was difficult to illustrate without complicating things as much and the 2D should give a good idea to begin with, I know there has to be some mathematical approach to show that it doesn't work using Maxwell's equations (Magnetic Flux) but even then I can't seem to find an explanation as to why it happens. Understanding the mathematics behind it would be ideal but at the moment I am just trying to gain an understanding in explaining why this doesn't work without just saying "it just does".
>>
File: magnets.png (25KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
magnets.png
25KB, 1152x648px
>>9093032
The mathematical explanation is quite literally "it doesn't". Link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss%27s_law_for_magnetism#Integral_form
Let S be a sphere around the center of your construction, and it says that the flux is 0.

I think what "actually happens" is something like the attached picture. When you put magnets together the field strength is a superposition of individual magnets' fields, so it sums to zero.
Obviously the external field is more spread out than internal, so it would only slightly reduce in the middle in the picture. However, if you have infinitely many magnets in a row like pictured, it would sum to zero, and a sphere is more or less an equivalent situation.
>>
Just like if you connect to bar magnets with each other, one side becomes north and the other becomes south pole (they act like a huge magnet). If you connect bar magnets in the shape of your diagram, they form a disc magnet with the north pole in the centre and the south pole on the outer wall.
If you have any disc-shaped magnets with your refrigerator or something, grab a bad magnet and test it out, one pole attracts the middle while the other attracts the outer wall.
Therefor a monopole magnet will not be created.
>>
>>9093187
Flatearthers think the Earth is shaped like this type of magnet, with the North pole in the centre and Antarctica as the outer wall.
>>
>>9092880
In theory magnetic monopoles aren't really different to electric charges.
If you had a charged circle/sphere it doesn't create a charge in the center, there is just no net force there or anywhere inside. Magnets are the same.
>>9093183
Like this anon says Gauss' law is the answer.
>>
Good thread, but just for thought Dirac had some crazy idea that they might happen, but it hasn't been observed yet.

I don't remember what the deal was but it had something to do with stability, not just geometry
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.