[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CS with Mathematics course

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 516AWZ1BQ4L.jpg (47KB, 384x500px) Image search: [Google]
516AWZ1BQ4L.jpg
47KB, 384x500px
Going to be taking a gap year before uni, so considered spending it getting a head start on my course (alongside my job, of course).

What maths topics are most relevent to CS (particularly the theory), and what resources should I start with?

>inb4 just go to uni this year
Wanted a chance to be in industry for a year and get some of that sweet experience.

>inb4 just chill and have fun
Learning new maths is fun.
>>
>>9092052
>What maths topics are most relevant to CS
Discrete Math (Combinatorics, Graph theory, etc) , Linear algebra & a bit of Abstract Algebra.
Numerical Analysis (Who said that advanced CS don't need Calculus)
Scientific Computation (how to use Wolfram Mathematica properly.)
Numerical methods for solving the Differential equations of Mathematical Physics
Etc.
>>
>>9092052
Lambda calculus
Abstract Algebra
Homotopy type theory
Topology

>>9092089
>numerical analysis
>how to use Wolfram Mathematica properly
>Numerical methods for solving the Differential equations of Mathematical Physics
None of these have anything to do with theoretical CS, brainlet.
>>
Does anyone else think that math and cs take entirely different skills to use? I have a friend who's better than me at math, but is a complete retard when it comes to programming. Meanwhile, I'm fairly decent in math but much better working with code.
>>
Lebesgue Integration

All you need OP
>>
>>9094393

Yes it is very misleading

> Computer scientists are mathematicians
> Hackers are computer artists
> Software engineers are programmer/engineers
>>
>>9094393
I know that, but mainly thinking of the parts of a cs degree that isn't just programming, since it isn't exclusive to that and I can just do programming on my own quite easily.
>>
>>9092052
If you have a year off definitely do that Knuth book, a highschool kid can do it with some motivation and it will absolutely prepare you for the piles of proofs you'll have to do mainly in algorithm analysis classes.

Really that book is all you need as it provides foundations in number theory, probability, generating functions ect as a platform to learn whatever they teach you in a typical CS undergrad. Here is MIT's standard 6.042 'Math for CS students' course https://courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/spring17/mcs.pdf most everything in there will make sense after you finish Concrete Math. There's also full lectures for those notes on MIT Open Courseware obv
>>
>>9093894
What this guy listed. But topology comes before HTT obviously. Also while reading lambda calc you should obviously check out simpler type theories.

>>9094393
>CS = programming
>>
It depends on what subfield of CS you're going to study. If you pick some weird "software" route, then you don't need math at all.

I'm personally specialized in machine learning, and have mainly needed calculus, linear algebra, logic and probability theory. Taking introductory courses in your math department is usually enough, since the more advanced stuff is explained in the machine learning books and courses.
>>
>>9097164
how much calculus is necessary?

I would assume some multivariable calc? What about analysis?
>>
>>9098550
>What about analysis?
Stay away from that garbage. It's going to crash and burn pretty soon.
>>
>>9098591
Why? Is this another one of your chemical intuitions?
>>
>>9098639
Peano arithmetic is inconsistent, which means ZF is inconsistent. Which is bad news for analysis.
>>
File: Banach Space.png (238KB, 748x416px) Image search: [Google]
Banach Space.png
238KB, 748x416px
>>9094403
There is only one important mathematical field.
>>
Unless you really want to I wouldn't bother
You will find the will to go to lectures diminish
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.