[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are video games and virtual reality going to be the downfall

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (132KB, 1600x873px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
132KB, 1600x873px
Are video games and virtual reality going to be the downfall of our society? I suspect all young men are going to become defensive of the technology and immerse themselves in it in a way that we haven't seen before

Imagine if you can just put on the VR headset and immerse yourself in the virtual world in a way that is far more believable than a 2D computer monitor. It will be way more addictive. Imagine if they get skin attachments that make you feel blows coming from behind. Imagine if they get brain implants

We WILL enter "the matrix" which is in other words just a virtual reality world, soon, and it is going to be the biggest philosophical issue to have ever plagued our society, and NOBODY seems to be talking about it. They think "lol they're just a dumb stoner who watched that matrix movie and that's what they talking about" yes that IS what I am fucking talking about, it doesn't matter if it was just a movie.

They think it's all a joke and they think it's not a big deal. I think it's a big deal, I'm profoundly scared for the future, especially when you take into account the general disenfranchisement of men in particular from the traditional life of getting married then raising a family

People are already glued to their television sets sitting on the couch all day. Imagine what will happen when we get cheap immersive VR. They will become glued to their VR because it's so superior to television

I think this is an issue, a REALLY big one.
>>
>>9089935

Slippery slope fallacy.
>>
>>9089935

VR is far far far from being at the stage were it could even come close to replacing reality.
>>
I heard my m8 talking about taking off his vr headset which he put on after dinner and then it's dark outside and the lights in his house aren't turned on, pretty depressing desu.
But on a fundamental level I don't think it's much different from regular games or TV. In the end you're just sitting in a chair consuming media.
>>
File: IMG_0158.png (134KB, 819x872px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0158.png
134KB, 819x872px
It'll be the matrix although there's no reason for having the whole mundane life set in the 90s, hell if people so choose the can forever be overdosing on dopamine. What happens in the simulation doesnt matter, your brain is harmless and easy to take care of.
>>
>>9089950
It's not a slippery slope fallacy because this isn't some abstract topic we're talking about. It's really more about the adoption curve of new technologies, which is getting faster and faster as time moves on
>>
Is masturbation and masturbatory aids going to be the downfall of society? Imagine if you could just get pleasurable sexual satisfaction all the time. Why would you ever go out and find a mate?
>>
>>9089965

To have consensual sex in the missionary position for the sole purpose of procreation, of course.
>>
>>9089935
Considering no one I know plays video games let alone has VR gear or wants it, most likely not.
>>
>>9089935
Who would get addicted to feeling blows, or any pain in VR?

>>9089951
False.
>>
File: IMG_0165.jpg (63KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0165.jpg
63KB, 1024x1024px
>>9090399
>who would get addicted to feeling blows
I would :^)
>>
>>9090399
Have you ever used any modern HMD? It's cool to start but just like anything it becomes old after a few months and you start to notice glaring issues with the technology, like lack of sufficient resolution and no form of haptic feedback. I own both the vive and oculus and even I have to say there is a lot more to do before it ever becomes a problem
>>
File: vr.jpg (194KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
vr.jpg
194KB, 1920x1200px
>>9089935

<--- VR and universal basic income
>>
honestly entering the matrix is the only reason why I haven't killed myself already
>>
>>9089935
As long as I can be with Kurisu, I don't care about the downfall of society.
>>
>>9091733
this.

Immersive at first but its like you build a tolerance to it.

Reminds me of playing video games or watching a movie after abstaining for a long time. It's super immersive and easy to get sucked into whatever world you are watching, but eventually, after constant repeated exposure your ability to feel immersed is deadened.
Like the guy who plays video games for the first time and is jerking the controller in the direction he wants to go, almost like the brain doesnt realize at first that the game world isn't the real world, but eventually that goes away, if you play enough.
>>
>>9089935
>not having schizoid personality disorder and doing this without vr
>>
File: Glorious Waifu Age!.gif (2MB, 766x800px) Image search: [Google]
Glorious Waifu Age!.gif
2MB, 766x800px
>>9091740 >>9090477 >>9089935
The Glorious VR Waifu Age!
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.