[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

learning and memory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

I keep forgetting things. I'm 28 and work as a software engineer, and, although I have been learning new things in recent years, I have forgotten so many things from just a few years ago... 3 years ago I did an MS in computational finance, but haven't really used that knowledge professionally since, and I've forgotten the simplest stuff that was second nature back then, like how to write a Monte Carlo simulation for a Weiner process...

It's making me wonder if I have alzheimer's or something. Does this happen to anybody else, or do I should I have my brain looked at? Or do I just not learn things the right way and there's a better way to commit them to long-term memory?
>>
>>9089070
>or do I should I have my brain looked at

There's my broken brain, lel
>>
People forget things that they don't need.

Regardless, the kind of disease (CJD) that would cause this in such early age would be completely irrelevant to fuss about since it's really fast progressing and fatal.
>>
>>9089088
Well, I might test myself... revisit some of these concepts and if they look familiar and I can pick these concepts back up with ease, I'll assume it's just a normal case of disuse.

Otherwise, I'll just retire and live what little is left of my life in peace, kek.
>>
>>9089112
Test all you want but leave diagnosis to professionals.
>>
>>9089122

Of course. I was exaggerating a bit. But wouldn't it be considered a normal case of disuse if I revisit these things and they still seem familiar and easy to re-learn?
>>
>>9089135
I'm 29. I majored pure mathematics and haven't studied some of this stuff in 10 years. I forgot a lot of stuff. Recently decided I want to pursue a PhD and been reviewing a lot of mathematics I forgot. I've found that I am picking this stuff up extremely quickly and I am much stronger with the material second go around.
>>
You have ADD aka brainlet syndrome.
I don't have a degree in psychobabble mind you.
>>
>>9089348
Do you go in some sort of order when reviewing stuff?
>>
>>9089070
chill out man just generate a +1 or a -1 with .5 probabilities and use the formula
>>
>Weiner
heh
>>
>>9089070
>randomly generate n = 10000000000000 normal(0,1) variables
>for i=1:n
>black scholes formula where you plug in each normal rv into the stochastic part of the eqn
>obtain and store estimate for price in future
>repeat loop until computer crashes
>take average/conf.int of outcomes
>profit
>>
>>9089070
>I keep forgetting things

The solution is simple. Write the thing you wish to remember down.

The more complex solution requires some study and understanding of biology and evolution.
> Humans evolved the capability to remember based solely on need (e.g. remembering where food is located, where hostile tribes are located)
> People with expert memory were no more or less likely to reproduce
> Your body develops the need for memory and recollection based on environmental needs, and these are regulated by emotions

In addition, there is a special condition of "memory" that we need to consider, the ability to recall information at the correct time. Not only do you have poor memory if you cannot recall some specific algorithm or thing. You also have memory problems if you cannot recall things when needed. A simple example would be if you were to say to yourself "I will check the mailbox every time I get home." If, when you get home and do not remember to check the mail (but instead remember to check it a while after getting inside your house).
> We can consider this memory condition to be "self-memory programming"
> Again, its evolutionary value stops at a certain point
> This type of memory also relates to conversations and the types of things we talk about during conversations, if you do not remember some event during a conversation but do remember it later, then you will not talk about it

Here are some things to consider:
> Food may affect it
> If you are in an environment that requires you to remember something, you are more likely to do so (to an extent)
> If you have incentives to remember something, you are more likely to do so
> It is possible that there is spiritual interference with memory

I am interested in this subject so if you have any more insights, thoughts, or experiences about how memory works and how we can improve our memory, then let me know. I am keenly interested in things you KNOW affect memory.
>>
>>9089410
as per >>9090659 the optimal memory condition would be one where no review is necessary.
>>
>>9089070
bump
>>
>>9089410
Yes. I start with the foundations (whatever that may be i n your subject) and quickly build up to where I wanted to be.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.