[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much math do you use in your job?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 1500834384416.png (200KB, 684x864px) Image search: [Google]
1500834384416.png
200KB, 684x864px
Ok, let's hear it: what's the highest level of math that you've ever had to use on your job? What's the highest level you use on a regular basis? Engineers, do you actually use calculus regularly (or even at all?) or do you have computer programs that take care of all that for you?

What's the most surprising kind of mathematics that you've found yourself using that you were sure you never use in the "real world?" What would you tell current engineers, maths majors, economists, etc to practice more of because you didn't and now really wish you had?
>>
>>9088319
>Engineers, do you actually use calculus regularly (or even at all?) or do you have computer programs that take care of all that for you?

i do use it very rarely and when i do i only do it once. then i just code it into excel or matlab or something and never do it again.
>>
File: Indeed.jpg (108KB, 800x1130px) Image search: [Google]
Indeed.jpg
108KB, 800x1130px
>>
>>9088356
Not too shabby of a model, but the specular mapping needs work.
>>
Yep, just program any math you need and then never do it again. Or google it.
>>
>>9088319
>What's the most surprising kind of mathematics that you've found yourself using that you were sure you never use in the "real world?"
I did some combinatorics for a project once.
>>
File: thumbs up kid gof.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up kid gof.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>work at kroger, manager shows me two ways to detect fraud

He used Benfords Law which says for some odd reason alot of numbers in statistics and nature where you have alot of data or measurements have the first digit 1 rather at 30% rate rather than the intuitive 10% percent among seemingly random circumstances.

Some credit cards have payments that dont follow Benford's law and they usually belong to fraudulent peolpe or the credit cards were stollen and the previous payments were faked to make the card seem alot older than it actually is. This was back in 2016 though and i thought that the whole ring of people who did that had moved on to better methods. He didnt name Benfords law but I saw some vsause vidro or some other youtube bait series and knew that that was what he was talking about the other day.
>>
>>9088462
I forgot the other way it was just some program. Im not a coding/programming computer guy at all
>>
>>9088319
my job involves sitting on my ass in a 100 degree room, pretending to put computers together, but, in reality, i'm just signposting
so, no math at all
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.