[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Methane-eating bacteria

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: antarctic.jpg (189KB, 1440x959px) Image search: [Google]
antarctic.jpg
189KB, 1440x959px
>This methane pool is subsequently consumed by aerobic, bacterial methane oxidation at the SLW sediment–water interface. Bacterial oxidation consumes >99% of the methane and represents a significant methane sink, and source of biomass carbon and metabolic energy to the surficial SLW sediments
http://www.newsweek.com/methane-eating-bacteria-antarctic-ice-645570
http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v10/n8/full/ngeo2992.html?foxtrotcallback=true

Can i now eat beef without worry?
>>
you shouldnt have been worrying in the first place
>>
>>9088145
Can we fart now without worry?
>>
Oh shit, here comes the grey goo.
>>
>>9088312
>grey goo.
???
>>
It doesn't really matter. With the new administration refusing to sign the Paris treaty its all lost. Southern Europe is already feeling the consequences of these action, and that's just the start.
>>
>>9088962
God dammit America.
>>
>>9088312 >>9088961
Grey goo = Goo/Slime made of nano machines it micro organisms that dissolve, kills, absorb & eat alive anything that it touch.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo
Grey goo is considered the most destructive & terrifying way to end the World.
Specially if this Gray Goo acquire Artificial intelligence, becomes conscious, & try to wipe out human race.
But today Great Goo is just Science Fiction just like other unfeasible (but theoretically possible technologies)
>>
>>9088962
Political action doesn't directly effect the climate

It will take years before trumps impact is felt on the climate
>>
>>9088312
po tae toes

you cook em you mash em you fry em
>>
>>9090072
>add intelligence
>kills everything in sight for no reason
Why does this baseless assumption seem to be accepted as common sense almost everywhere?
>>
>>9090072
Ok but what it has in common to OP
>>
>>9090220
Nothing.
>>
>>9090105
Because it's common sense.
Finite resources
To maximize your directive you need a monopoly on resources, even for something as innocuous as increasing computing power to think better.
The solution is to make sure you're the only one around consuming resources to maximize efficiency.

AI is basically going to have to be told "no, don't always maximize efficiency" so this doesn't happen.
>>
>>9088145
>This methane pool is subsequently consumed by aerobic, bacterial methane oxidation at the SLW sediment–water interface.

Personally I am looking forward to the aerobic, bacterial methane oxidation of the PC SJW fact -
fiction interface.
>>
>>9091097
You just had to force that in.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.