[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"2009 fusion"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 3

Was shitposting on r9k, got this captcha.
>Man why the fuck was this not a thing

research into fusion, magnetic confinement, etc, has been going on, since like the 40s.
>Is fusion just cucked,
>are we approaching the matter inelegantly
>not enough support for funding

>or try to prove that fusion isn't useful

Either way, pisses me off. With fusion we could adapt it for all sorts of useable shit.
>>
File: Red_dwarf_lifetime.png (5KB, 441x426px) Image search: [Google]
Red_dwarf_lifetime.png
5KB, 441x426px
>>9085057
When you look at the universe and how fucking hard it is to do fusion, you realize it was always just a meme.

For example, the tiniest red dwarfs need a mass of about 75 Jupiters. And even for larger ones, their rate of fusion is so low that they have a lifespan of trillions of years. Pic is lifespan vs mass of Sun (Sun is 1000 Jupiters).
>>
>>9085086
Yeah, but we do it in bombs, so it aint """"hard"""" to do fusion, it's hard to control it.

That's where
>we're approaching it inelegantly
comes in
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 460x474px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 460x474px
>>9085093
Yeah, I should qualify that by calling it self-sustaining fusion. That's the goal and it's hard. If the goal is any fusion at all, you can do it yourself with a homemade fusor. I just personally don't think fusion power will ever be anything but a meme.

Maybe another way to look at it.. given only a classical understanding of atoms, our Sun shouldn't even achieve fusion. It relies on pressures and temperatures that reduce atom separation enough to allow a very small amount of quantum tunneling to occur. That quantum tunneling is the elegant way. Solar core pressures simply can't happen on earth, so it leaves us just with brute forcing through temperature.
>>
Everyone here seems to just know half the story.

Fusion that's going on in stars is not the same as what people try to do on earth.
Hydrogen is so far the best element for fusion. Stars like our sun and bigger fuse Hydrogen to helium. That process works fine in stars, takes forever and is not very 'clean'.
Here on earth on the other hand people are trying to fuse Deuterium and Tritium (Isotopes of Hydrogen), which is very clean.
Clean meaning that the fusion reaction is simple and efficient. (Look up Proton-Proton-Reaktion for what's going on in stars (very unclean, complex) )
(Look up Deuterium-Tritium-Reaction for what's best on earth)
Fusion is the best chance for a basicly unlimited source of energy, calling it a meme or it being chucked is just plain stupid and proved that you have barely any knowledge about the topic. Look up the ITER project.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.