[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jedi vs bullets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1497306206493.jpg (29KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1497306206493.jpg
29KB, 400x400px
Everyone I talk to tells me that Jedi's auto lose to bullets. They move too fast and won't be deflected like lasers and they'd have molten lead sprayed on their faces.

However I suggest that perhaps the lightsaber is far too hot and dense for lead bullets to pass through without becoming a gas. After all they cut through trees and steel effortlessly, and remain stable during duels.

What do you guys think?
>>
Yeah, I always thought jedi would not work with bullets
>>
Jedi are frequently shown in the movies cutting through metal and they never have a single problem with "molten metal" or superheated metal gas burning them.

Also, Jedi can move at impossibly fast speeds. This isn't like your cousin Chuck who does LARP trying to block a bullet with his katana. This is a magic wizard who can run at the speed of sound and has his motions partially controlled by "the force", which can see the future. These are people who literally can block something they can't see and don't know is coming with absolutely no external cues except the force (see: Luke, a completely untrained farm boy blocking lasers with the blast helmet on)

So for the question "can magical, impossible people do this magical, impossible thing?" the answer is, "yes, jedi can block bullets with their lightsaber without injury"

personally, I would suggest a flamethrower for fighting jedi. Or a nuke
>>
you'd think the storm troopers would all have an extra 9mm in their holster in case of jedi, but how do the laser guns even work? It seems to me that it must be some kind of plasma
also is the shape of a lightsaber round or is it flat like a normal sword? cause you could block bullets with the flat side of a sword so long as it doesn't break
>>
>>9082026
Lightsabers are cylinders with a rounded end, like a hotdog.

Blasters seem to be preferred because they have more armor penetration than bullets (everyone in the movies dies in one hit from blasters, even if they're in armor), have seemingly infinite ammo, and don't appear to have any drop over long ranges. They also don't have moving parts so they're probably very easy to maintain.

If they wanted to give special equipment to stormtroopers for the incredibly unlikely event they encounter jedi, they would be better off giving them explosives like grenades instead of redundant and inferior metal projectile weapons
>>
I always love these topics, because at the end of the day you're talking about a narrative element that does only what the creators need them to.

To answer your question, a blaster bolt has a muzzle velocity of 130 to 135 mph (source: http://nerdist.com/adam-savage-calculates-the-speed-of-a-star-wars-blaster-bolt/), which works out to 190.667 ft/s to 198 ft/s.

For comparison, let's go with an everyday gun you might come across, like a Glock loaded with 9mm NATO rounds, which, depending on the cartridge, fires at a muzzle velocity between 1150 ft/s to 1335 ft/s.

At the most generous, a blaster bolt flies about 5.8 times slower than a small caliber handgun, meaning a Jedi would have to move 5.8 times faster to block a bullet than we've seen on screen.

However, for argument's sake, let's say between predictive ability and superhuman reflexes, a Jedi could do this, that a Jedi could block lead from a contemporary firearm. There are two problems I see with this:

1. The less obvious problem is kinetic energy. Blaster bolts don't appear to have much, since they don't send guys flying or just punch through someone, but a bullet has a lot. Taking the above cartridge, at the low end of the scale, delivers 355 ft·lbf of force, more than the estimated high end force of a human punch. If a lightsaber took this on the blade, that energy isn't just going to disappear with the bullet. Even if they manage to deflect a bullet, it will still deliver a wallop due to equal-and-opposite reaction force. Alternatively, that energy still carries with the bullet's mass, even if that mass gets flash fried into molten lead vapor. One possibility is that the lightsaber is knocked away, if not out of the users hand, something that's quite dangerous for a weapon with such cutting ability. The other is that the Jedi avoids the risk of being perforated by turning it into the risk of getting burned by superheated lead plasma. Worst case: both thing happen.
>>
>>9082166
(cont.)

2. The more obvious problem: rate of fire. even if a Jedi can manage to safely block a single bullet, they'd hardly have the reflexes to block multiple bullets that can reach them practically simultaneously or in very rapid succession. Double tapping, burst fire, and full auto fire are a Jedi's greatest threat in this context. In fact, overwhelming fire is one of the better methods to overwhelm a Jedi's reflexes, if HK-47 is to be trusted.

But the good news is that they don't have to block. A Jedi with excellent reflexes can jump behind or run to cover, something that's much more reliable and a tried and true defense against firepower. The downside is that a Jedi can be suppressed and confined to cover, while the enemy has buddies to flank or to bring better weapons to the fore.

tl;dr: It isn't tested. We don't know what would happen. Just use ordnance.
>>
>>9082180
Magical reflexes aside.

I'm thinking that a lightsaber can turn bullets into vapour.

The movies and games slow blaster fire down a lot. There's s few references in the lore that state that the lasers are going closer to the speed of light than a bullets speed. So if Jedi's can block those at full auto and multiple attackers. They can likely handle a single shooter with an assault rifle.

But CAN the lightsaber handle the bullets?
>>
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Slugthrower

"Slugthrowers were surprisingly useful against lightsabers, as when a slug made contact with a blade, it simply melted instead of being deflected like a blaster bolt."

Honestly, this was something they just never thought about that hard. and lasers are cool, so why include normal guns in the movies?
>>
File: 1496992123663.jpg (12KB, 179x200px) Image search: [Google]
1496992123663.jpg
12KB, 179x200px
>>9082010
>bring shotgun to fight jedi
>win because they can't hit all of the pellets at once
>>
>>9082035
>Blasters seem to be preferred because they have more armor penetration than bullets (everyone in the movies dies in one hit from blasters, even if they're in armor)
Then why do stormtroopers wear armor?
>>
>>9083181
They're envirosuits, lets them continue fighting even if the hull blows out on their ship, or if the target goes in to less than habitable areas
>>
>>9083132
I don't think the writers realized that plasma is hot enough to turn lead into gas.

I'm thinking that the heat and density of the lightsaber is enough to neutralize a bullet.
>>
>>9083169
*force jumps behind you*
*unsheathes lightsaber*
pshh, nothin personnel,,,,,,kid,,,,

Also they could just force push it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.