[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PHYSICS GRADUATE SCHOOL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: LotR-4.jpg (511KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LotR-4.jpg
511KB, 1920x1080px
As a soon to be holder of a BS in Physics, what does grad school look like for a physics major?

I'd like to get a PhD, but I'll be honest I'm not entirely sure what I'd be getting myself into. So I have a few questions.

I have some schools in mind. One is Michigan Tech in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. You might think this is a strange choice but set those aside for now. They offer a PhD program, and require a 3.0 or greater GPA from your BS Degree, GRE score of 135 or better, and some letters of recommendation.

As someone who hasn't taken the GRE yet, how good is a 135?

Okay next question. Say I was offered acceptance into their PhD program for Fall 2018. What happens now? I'm under the assumption I get some sort of stipend and free tuition? What is the average amount for this stipend? Is there a way to see how much it averages per university? Is housing provided at all? Or must I find my own apartment/living place near campus?

Once I'm accepted, what does my "semester" look like? Do I take a few graduate level courses and do research? Or do I jump right into figuring what I want my PhD thesis to be on?

Considering I would still be enrolled in school, are student loans still not expected to be paid yet? (Government loans, not private)

So many questions guys. Any help here would be great.
>>
>>9080845
>135 GRE
in what, quant or verbal? either way that's on the super low end of grades, it goes from 130 to 170. With my pretty shit 158/160 V/Q i was able to get into a fine amount of programs though, for biochem
>>
>>9080863
>GRE: Recommended 156 Quantitative and 3.0 or higher Analytical Writing (Michigan Tech students are exempt)

My bad, I was wrong with 135. 156 seems like a pretty high score.

The other school I was considering was UC San Diego as I visited their campus once and was amazed. It also appeared that they didn't require the GRE when I looked on their website.
>>
>>9080872
> It also appeared that they didn't require the GRE when I looked on their website.
lol i would take that as a huge red flag, but more than likely they require it, it's a standard of graduate programs

156 isnt that hard, like i said i got 160 and i've only done up to calc 3, and am not a math major, and didnt prep at all, or do math in 2 years up to the test.
>>
>>9080884
>lol i would take that as a huge red flag
From what I've heard from some of my Physics staff at my school, a lot of schools are starting to not require the GRE.

>>9080884
>156 isnt that hard, like i said i got 160 and i've only done up to calc 3, and am not a math major, and didnt prep at all, or do math in 2 years up to the test.
Maybe I just don't know how the test works, but if the max is 170, a 156 is a 91%. That's pretty hard!
>>
>>9080896
it's from 130-170, not 0-170. 156 is like 75% percentile or so. It's not bad by any means, but it's not insane. Keep in mind tons of non math oriented people take the GRE for non STEM masters programs.
>From what I've heard from some of my Physics staff at my school, a lot of schools are starting to not require the GRE.
damn that's crazy. But yea, some on this list dont require it.
https://www.gradschoolshopper.com/gradschool/browseby.jsp?q=3&cid=8

if you're serious about graduate school i would not only take it (even if not required) but also take the physics subject test (especially if it's not required, it looks really good on an application)
>>
>>9080902
>if you're serious about graduate school i would not only take it (even if not required) but also take the physics subject test (especially if it's not required, it looks really good on an application)
Yes, I was planning on taking it. Also,

>also take the physics subject test (especially if it's not required, it looks really good on an application)
I thought we were discussing the Physics GRE? You mean I need to take a general GRE and a Physics GRE?
>>
>>9080913
yea i was talking about the general GRE and the physics subject test, in that order. Subject tests are rarely required but give you a really good edge against equal candidates, even if you didnt do that well on the test
>>
>>9080920
So what is all on a general GRE test? Ah I suppose I could google this myself. I have so many questions in OP yet unanswered.

Grad school is so difficult.
>>
>>9080921
Applying really is a bitch. I would suggest you take a GRE practice test if you're worried, i planned on taking it twice with the first time being practice but it was so approachable i just went with my scores from the first time. The writing section, know how to form an argument and defend it, and know how to type relatively fast since it's on a computer.
get your letters of rec in order ASAP, youll probably have to hound your writers. And start on your letter of intent, it's actually pretty hard to write, probably the most difficult thing ive had to write since it's essentially a humble brag
>>
>>9080932
>it's on a computer
Wonderful. I type exceptionally fast.

>Letters of recommendation
True. It's hard to even think about doing this right now since grad school is a year away. But I suppose most application processing closes mid spring (Michigan Tech wants everything by February they said). Damn...

>>9080932
>And start on your letter of intent, it's actually pretty hard to write, probably the most difficult thing ive had to write since it's essentially a humble brag
Fuck. I had to write one of these for a scholarship once and it was the most agonizing thing I've ever typed. I'm a very humble person so writing about myself is extremely hard.

Ah well, I'll manage. Thank you for your responses!
>>
>>9080940
no problem. start thinking about it now for sure. PhD programs in biochem ended applications as early as December 1st and as late as February 1st, masters programs were way later, like until april or even may for fall admission. The typing exceptionally fast will really help, i got a 98% on writing and i know it's because i wrote 2 5 paragraph essays as responses, something i doubt most people could do in 30 minutes (time limit for each one). If you're under 60, it will hurt, if you're between 60-120 you're good, 120-150 wpm will be really helpful. write professionally as well, not like i am without capitalizing anything, but yea that's obvious.

>Fuck. I had to write one of these for a scholarship once and it was the most agonizing thing I've ever typed. I'm a very humble person so writing about myself is extremely hard.
yep, same here, so start now, i suggest, mine took me about a month to write and edit completely, but i also had to address a gaping hole in my transcript.

oh yea if you have any weird grades, transcript holes, or incidents address them fully and maturely in your letter, do not try to brush by it
>>
>>9080845
Don't physicsfags take a tech writing course? You write like an Arts major
>>
>>9081108
Not a bad idea.
>>
>>9081108
this isnt a very good example to judge on considering the subject matter isnt really technical. the way i write is very arty but i change styles when writing research stuff. then i become too linear apparently
>>
>>9080845
>>9080845
>>9080845
Bumping for some of the questions that haven't been answered yet.

>>9080845
>Okay next question. Say I was offered acceptance into their PhD program for Fall 2018. What happens now? I'm under the assumption I get some sort of stipend and free tuition? What is the average amount for this stipend? Is there a way to see how much it averages per university? Is housing provided at all? Or must I find my own apartment/living place near campus?
>Once I'm accepted, what does my "semester" look like? Do I take a few graduate level courses and do research? Or do I jump right into figuring what I want my PhD thesis to be on?
>Considering I would still be enrolled in school, are student loans still not expected to be paid yet? (Government loans, not private)
>>
>>9080845
The regular GRE is pretty easy desu. The quantitative section should be a piece of cake for a Physics BS. And the verbal section is literally just memorizing vocabulary.

Your program will probably want you to take the subject GRE for Physics too though.

>>9082664
>Okay next question. Say I was offered acceptance into their PhD program for Fall 2018. What happens now? I'm under the assumption I get some sort of stipend and free tuition? What is the average amount for this stipend? Is there a way to see how much it averages per university? Is housing provided at all? Or must I find my own apartment/living place near campus?

They usually offer around 20k year, depending on where you go. Most likely, you'll have to deal with living arrangements on your own. Though some places will offer to connect you with other grad students looking for roommates.

>Once I'm accepted, what does my "semester" look like? Do I take a few graduate level courses and do research? Or do I jump right into figuring what I want my PhD thesis to be on?

PhD courses are supposed to supplement your chosen area of research. If you can demonstrate that you're already knowledgeable in your area, you might be able to skip taking courses altogether. Otherwise, they usually make you take 1-2 years worth of classes before you start your actual dissertation. Honestly, I'd recommend taking at least one year of courses first so you can get to know the faculty better and choose a good doctoral advisor.

>Considering I would still be enrolled in school, are student loans still not expected to be paid yet? (Government loans, not private)

I'd think undergrad loans would still come due at their normal time. But I really have no idea, I paid off my undergrad loans before starting grad school.
>>
>>9082737
>PhD courses are supposed to supplement your chosen area of research. If you can demonstrate that you're already knowledgeable in your area, you might be able to skip taking courses altogether. Otherwise, they usually make you take 1-2 years worth of classes before you start your actual dissertation. Honestly, I'd recommend taking at least one year of courses first so you can get to know the faculty better and choose a good doctoral advisor.
I'd want to do as many classes as possible. I love learning in a classroom environment, and I still have no idea what area of physics interests me.
>>
Beware Grad classes are incredibly hard compared undergrad. Before going to grad school you should ask yourself if you would be happy doing anything else besides grad school. Grad school sucks and is damn hard unless you are some sort of wizard or you went to clown university so its not for those who don't desperately want it.

You will take classes for a year or two, hopefully pass quals and then do research/take a class here or there.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.