[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I love the idea that there are things that man was not meant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: tumblr_ngljzblsVb1qc2go3o1_500.png (187KB, 482x363px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ngljzblsVb1qc2go3o1_500.png
187KB, 482x363px
I love the idea that there are things that man was not meant to know, and unwise dabbling in forbidden knowledge could drive a person insane, or knowledge that is so alien or complicated it basically causes the brain to crash.

Do you think it's possible?

Has it ever occurred?

Pic related: 'My eyes at the time of the apparitions' by August Natterer. An insane outsider artist.
>>
>>9079850
what the fuck are you doing on /sci/?
how is this in any way, shape or form related to SCIENCE?
>>
>>9079863
It's a psychological question. Psychology is a science nitwit.
>>
File: Data fish.jpg (83KB, 525x350px) Image search: [Google]
Data fish.jpg
83KB, 525x350px
>>9079872
>Psychology is a science
>>
File: image.png (6KB, 472x312px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
6KB, 472x312px
>>9079850
No evidence for this to exist; Occam's razor cuts this off.
Something pretty interesting is that there are stimuli that can cause dysfunction for up to several months with only minutes of exposure, such as the McCollough effect (with a reported 3.5 months of retention after 15 minutes of induction).
If you look at the centre of one of the coloured gratings in picture related for a couple of seconds, then at the centre of the other, alternating for at least 3 minutes you can induce it. It'll cause you to see the opposite colour in gratings of the same orientation.
>>
>>9079850
Check out Georg Cantor

I think that trying to solve a really difficult problem and exhausting all "orthodox" methods leaves only the "unorthodox" methods.

The set of all "unorthodox" methods contains all of the crazy, insane and fantastic approaches.

It might just be the stubbornness of the ill-equipped.
>>
>>9079881
Occam's razor is a heuristic, not a rigorous method of proof.

http://cns.bu.edu/~yazdan/pdf/westheimer2001fourier.pdf
>>
How can you love an idea? An idea is either true or false and should invoke no emotional attachments to it.
>>
>>9079915
STATEMENTS are either true or false or paradoxes.

I see you still believe in the law of excluded middle...
>>
>>9079850
>knowledge that could drive a person insane, or knowledge that is so alien or complicated it basically causes the brain to crash.

For my experience I went almost went crazy a few times when studying:
1) Conlangs (Constructed Languages) when I tried to create my own language & alphabet based on Chinese, Lord of Rings Tengwar, Sanskrit, Korean, Japanese, Cyrillic, Hebrew, Roman & Voynich. Wasted years of my Life until realizing that nobody gonna use such Complex system.
>Picture is an example of Lord of Rings Tengwar.
2) Advanced Set Theory (any book harder than Halmos Naive Set Theory) & Advanced Mathematic Logic
Rigorously derived from the axioms. The Mathematician Cantor went crazy when he created this math & killed himself.
3) Modern Art. When I tried to appreciate & make sense of it.
4) Caballah, Occultism, & Magick. There is a reason why /x/ is full of Schizophrenics.
5) Trying to understand Mochizuki Inter Universal Teichmüller Theory without enough Math background.
>>
>>9079984
>almost went crazy
>almost

anon, i...
>>
>>9079984
for 2) and 5)
see>>9079898

Also, if you know you're going crazy, you must not be insane.
>>
>>9079992
Ok. I admit that I went crazy. >>9079984
I went full crazy. I'm more normal now. But I'll never be fully Normie anymore.
Now I'm as MAD /sci/entist.
>El Psy Congruo. Wahahahaha.
>>
>>9079850
its not a verry rigorous idea.
there is a mechanism in humans that cause us to think there is something greater and stronger than us. It happens especially at night when you are tired and dont have a clear vision of your surrounding.
Its basically that we are mortal and need to be carefull to not die.
so assuming there is something out threre that might be able to kill you is evolutionairy beneficial.
but this mechanism gives birth to a lot of fallacys.
>assuming there is some thing higher up on some unknown hirarchy that concerns itself about what humans do and think.
let it go nigger.
if you are unable to prove something you either dont have enough tools yet. or the claim is false, or you cant prove it with your current system in a gödel kind of way. meaning you need new tools al together.
>>
File: Graveyard_meditation.gif (599KB, 1150x832px) Image search: [Google]
Graveyard_meditation.gif
599KB, 1150x832px
>>9079850
>>9079984
>>9080017
Namah Mahakali (Goddes of Death and Destruction)

You will never be the same.
>>
>>9079999
It's Kongroo
>>
>>9079850
For stupid people? Sure. Voodoo economics is a really fucking stupid idea is a thought that's too much for a lot of Americans to grasp.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.