[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Compact Fluorescent Bulb Breakage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: bl_dh25slblbb.jpg (250KB, 875x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bl_dh25slblbb.jpg
250KB, 875x1200px
Broke one of these earlier today .. the thing was on when it broek and I was groggy having only been awake a few minutes.

I quickly unplugged it and put the lamp outside then set about picking up wht glass on the carpet with some dishwashing rubber gloves on and put them in a trash barrel in the kitchen.

I read the EPA guidlines for sfae clean up of these things and did two things you're advised against.

I turned on the central AC thinking the break was very close to the intake duct filter and could draw particulate from the locus and I vacuumed.. to be certain I got all the glass.

I did warp a T shirt around my face and nose while doing all this as I was aware there is Mercury in these bulbs.

Just wanted to ask how dangerous this really is.

In reading on-line I find the mercury filling obsessives talking about DMSA chelation; https://www.dmsachelation.com/

for as much as a year.. I took some NAC I had with selenium and a few Brazil nuts as I have heard Se inhibits Hg neurotoxicity.

On a scale of 1-Aaaahhh how freaked out should I be at this point?

Oh I also didn't open the sliding door I have in my condo for about five hours at it was fairly humid.
>>
>>9079649
F
>>
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2538682/

Se doesn't block Hg... you can't take anything to mitigate possible damage... best you can do is hope your inhalation of the heated vapor for the few seconds before unplugging the bulb was very low and the bulb had been used for a long enough time to have transformed the mercury somewhat making it less toxic... if the bulb wasn't brand new in other words the HG may be less harmful.. also being a newer than 3008 manufacture will have a smaller mercury content..
>>
There's less mercury in one of those bulbs than in the average portion of fish you eat.

The concerns are the bulk build up in the environment, breaking a bulb even every day literally poses no risk to your health.
>>
>>9079649
I don't think you have much to worry about. You probably had more mercury last time you had tuna.

>>9079757
>transformed the mercury somewhat

What does the mercury get turned into? I thought mercury compounds are more dangerous than metallic Hg?
>>
>>9079761
Are you a tuna? Cause you jumped right on that bait.
>>
>>9079764
I have to hand that one to you. That was pretty good.
>>
>>9079649
This is the most hypochondriatic post I've ever read.

You're fucking fine.
>>
Wat
>>
>>9079649
there's not much mercury in it anon
>>
>>9079761
>What does the mercury get turned into?
Other interesting factoids from their paper:

β€” The mercury in a bulb undergoes chemical changes over time as it’s used, rendering it less toxic. Explains Li, the mercury oxidizes, turning it into a solid that will not volatilize. Therefore, an unused bulb poses a significantly bigger pollution risk than is one near the end of its life.
β€” Bulbs produced by the major manufacturers since 2008 meet or far exceed the mercury-reduction goal set by the National Electric Manufacturers Association of 5 milligrams per CFL for lamps 25 watts or lower. In fact, most bulbs had less than 2.5 milligrams.
β€” For the most popular, 13-watt CFLs, mercury concentrations varied dramatically between brands, from 0.17 to 3.6 milligrams.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/science-public/some-comfort-about-broken-cfls
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.