[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Odd question, need advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: boomq.jpg (13KB, 203x248px) Image search: [Google]
boomq.jpg
13KB, 203x248px
Recently someone I know mixed a strange concoction in a large mason jar, set it in the oven (for an unknown amount of time), resulting in a significant explosion that blew out the glass in the oven and shook the house. This person claimed they were making said concoction in order to ward off bugs (flies, mosquitos etc) in the house. I am nearly certain the reason given is false, and have fears that this person was trying to cause a larger explosion with ghastly potential consequences.

I am posting here to get the opinion of those more knowledgeable than I, and will certainly follow up with authorities should this point to the nefarious intentions that I suspect.

Also, I should mention the person who made the concoction has a background in chemistry, so they certainly had some understanding of what they were doing.

We were able to deduce what the person had mixed in the jar by observing the nearby containers of various substances. A list of these substances follow;
Lye
Sodium Hydroxide
Sulphuric Acid
Old English Oil - main ingredient C13-C14 Alkane
"Vision Pow" toilet bowel cleaner
Amaz water stain remover
Baking Soda
Vinegar
Liquid Drain Opener
Green container with label removed - substance inside was a green/blue/grey paste - possibly some type of miracle gro? - uncertain.

Any help would be appreciated. I have a strong feeling this person had criminally nefarious intentions and am ready to proceed with the authorities.

Is there any reasonable chance that someone with a chemistry background was NOT trying to concoct a bomb by mixing then heating these substances?

Also, if anyone can recommend a better place to post this please advise

Thanks for anyone's help. Will post followup if there's interest.
>>
>>9078831
sounds like he had no idea what he was doing and mixed a bunch of household chemicals in a jar hoping they would create something. and then to put them in the oven? definitely had no idea what he was doing.

what probably happened was just a pressure bomb. Mixing sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide (which is lye by the way) is an extremely exothermic reaction which probably produced some volatile vapors which exploded the glass jar

id report it for idioticness
>>
OP here, I should add that the oven was on, so he was heating this mixture. The resulting explosion was extremely loud, it blew the glass out in the oven door and shook the house.
>>
OP here, bumping for visibility

Furthermore, we had concern about the release of hydrogen chloride gas - the toilet bowl cleaner "Vision Pow" contains hcl, and mixed with all these other acids and bases, it's reasonable for someone with a chemistry background to know about the potential release of hcl gas and it's toxicity.
>>
>>9079075
You should contact the authorities.
I bet they have expert chemists who know about these household concoctions.
>>
Meth or some analog
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.