[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NASA has a job opening for someone to defend Earth from aliens

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 55467.jpg (298KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
55467.jpg
298KB, 1200x900px
- NASA is hiring a planetary protection officer with a salary of up to $187,000.

- Planetary protection officers are hired to make sure humans don't contaminate planets, moons, and other objects in space.

-They're also supposed to help prevent any alien microbes that might exist from spreading to Earth.
>>
Woah 'business insider' posts shared on LinkedIn looks just like 4chan these days.
>>
>>9077868
I found that most non-fiction books read like today's uncited blogs. Kind of a bummer really.
>>
bullshit
>>
>>9077792
I lived with planetary protection interns while I was at JPL last summer. They're the ones that keep us from ethically fucking up the places we explore. Most of them were biology students.

Sounds like a cool job, but you would probably need to be the best of the best to get it. There are probably fewer planetary protection positions in the US than there are astronauts.
>>
>>9077792
This is no more absurd than any other grant chasing proposal.
>>
It's against microbes, not ayylmaos, so it's fucking nothing.
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474414000/
>>
File: unbelievable.gif (2MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
unbelievable.gif
2MB, 540x304px
>>9077792
>dumbfuck who doesn't know or care what a planetary protection officer does
>MUH ALIENS AYY
I left /sci/ because of brainlets like you.
>>
how are alien microbes not aliens?
>>
>>9078209
It wasn't the spains who murdered everyone in America, it were the microbes.
>>
>>9078114
>you would probably need to be the best of the best to get it.

At what? Since we literally have no idea what we are defending against, we have no idea how to go about it.

Everybody on /sci/ needs to submit a resume.
>>
File: harpo ponders.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
harpo ponders.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>9078638
>I left /sci/

Then how...
>>
File: RickyGervaisShow03.jpg (27KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
RickyGervaisShow03.jpg
27KB, 600x400px
I got the perfect solution: just don't go. We don't need it. That space stuff and wotnot. Where's my $187,000.
>>
>>9077792
The media is hyping the shit out of this for literally no reason. Popsci media is going off today about how NASA is hiring someone to "protect earth from aliens", "save earth", "guard us from aliens".

It's literally drafting protocols for preventing cross contamination of microorganisms between planets. You want to prevent microbes from being transmitted from Earth to another body on a spacecraft, both to preserve the integrity of the other planet/asteroid/whatever and prevent false positives when finding life. Imagine how lame it would be if NASA made big announcements about finding microbial life on Mars, only for it to turn out to be an Earth organism that hitched a ride. And of course in the event of finding microbes on another celestial body, you don't want to accidentally bring them back to Earth and wreak havoc.

The planetary protection officer is the guy who drafts SOPs and other protocols for spacecraft sterilization, as well as cataloguing microorganisms that can survive sterilization procedures in a genetic database. There are a ton of extremophiles/spores that can survive the typical procedure of H2O2 deposition, high heat and UV.

I almost ended up working as a planetary protection officer for JPL but ended up taking a better offer elsewhere.
>>
spicy shitpost friend
a shame you don't deserve a (You) for it
>>
>>9080750
They protect Earth's biosphere and prevent it from contaminating the environments we explore in space. It is not ayyyliens, it is about keeping other planets clean as well as our own. As such, the position is well-suited to people with backgrounds in biology (like I said earlier).

Most people submit CVs after they finish undergrad. If you still have a resume you're the one that should leave sweetie ;^).
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.