[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

4 Color Theorem / Topology Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 5

File: 4-color.png (86KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
4-color.png
86KB, 666x666px
Okay, so I've been messing around with some math-related drawings, and I was wondering if you all could help.

Basically my goal is to draw an image with four different shapes, so that each shape is in contact with the other three. In other words, this is the most simplified version of the Four Color Theorem, which says that you only need to use four different colors, if you want to color in a map so that the same color is never touching.

Here are a few simple drawings I've come up with. What I'm curious about is:
>Can anyone come up with designs that look cooler, but still solve this problem. And:
>I'm also wondering if it's possible to create a solution to this problem that only uses identical shapes for all four regions.
>>
File: 4 color - 3.png (36KB, 1380x664px) Image search: [Google]
4 color - 3.png
36KB, 1380x664px
>I'm also wondering if it's possible to create a solution to this problem that only uses identical shapes for all four regions.

If you are allowed to change the size of the shapes, it's relatively easy, but it's probably impossible to do it with shapes that are the exact same size.
>>
File: 4color.png (4KB, 352x335px) Image search: [Google]
4color.png
4KB, 352x335px
>>9076823
>>
>>9076875
Damn! That's solid, very good., wish I'd thought of it
>>
File: 4-color-5.png (12KB, 544x674px) Image search: [Google]
4-color-5.png
12KB, 544x674px
>>9076869
>>I'm also wondering if it's possible to create a solution to this problem that only uses identical shapes for all four regions.
>it's probably impossible to do it with shapes that are the exact same size.

If reflections are allowed, it's possible. Basically make an "L" shape that measures 4x6
>>
File: image.png (48KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
48KB, 640x1136px
>>9077015
>>9076869
I doubt that anyone cares, but there is, in fact, a solution to this problem that uses only rotations, with no reflections.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.