[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jacob Lurie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: hqdefault.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
http://www.math.harvard.edu/~lurie/

First .PDF, Spectral Algebraic Geometry: 2252 pages.
>Roughly 66% done
Second .PDF, Higher Topos Theory: 949 pages.
Seriously, what is this stuff?
>>
* Third.
>>
>>9074637
The thoughts of God speaking through Lurie's hand.
>>
>>9074890
Heartily kek.
>>
>>9074637
Honestly, the more I get into pure math, the less I am surprised anymore. If you showed me some 5000 page manuscript which I can't even understand a single sentence of and you told me it was shit out by some guy over the course of a single year, I wouldn't even bat an eye. Superhuman shit like the stuff in the OP is just par for the course, it seems
>>
Are there other super autists like Lurie?
Mochizuki?
>>
>>9074637
This dude: https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Dmitry+Kaledin says this about Lurie's work:
>Not a single non-trivial statement there, not one. Everything is very hard to prove because the chosen formalism is idiotic. All the proofs are correct and marvelously intricate; all the statements are useless. Everything is predictable.
Is he right?
>>
>>9077902
>Not a single non-trivial statement there, not one. Everything is very hard to prove because the chosen formalism is idiotic. All the proofs are correct and marvelously intricate; all the statements are useless.
Source?
>>
>>9077919
>Not a single non-trivial statement there, not one. Everything is very hard to prove because the chosen formalism is idiotic. All the proofs are correct and marvelously intricate; all the statements are useless. Everything is predictable.
There's no source, anon made that quote up.
>>
>>9077919
lj.rossia.org/users/tiphareth/2081841.html?nc=337&page=4
You could just google it btw, the quote is verbatim and greppable on the page. The rest of it is in Russian though
>>
>>9077925
Dmitry is an idiot. The guy he replies to knows what's up:

Mariam Mirzahani everything. This is her punishment for Grothendikovo, because she pressed the prize from St. Jacob Lurie.
In general, if you look at who the last 2 Fields were handed to, you can fall into the deepest depression and despondency, it's just what nasty idiots in a fucking committee sit. It's the same with Abel.

This second-cultural trend can very soon turn into a great catastrophe. We need to do something about this. To revoke all second-calenders, for example. Let's start with Rodion
>>
>>9077929
Then Dmitry the moron says: "Everything is better than Lurie. Mirzahani is a genius without fools at all."
>>
>>9077931
Dmitry is clearly jealous as fuck. The rest of teh post from which this excerpt >>9077902 is taken:
"A man does not just not understand how terrible everything that he does - it seems, he does not in principle understand that mathematics is not horrible. He is never wrong. It's not a mistake that he does not do anything. The robot is stupid - with inhuman computational force, and with perseverance, like a real graphomaniac.

However, I am unfair: when he is engaged in his direct work, i.e. Topology, everything is very nice (although still predictable and inherently trivial). At least you can see that he likes it.

And the situation with the general justification of the equipped categories, etc., is completely understandable. Type, it happens that people for many years trying to do well, then despair, and do anyhow like. And here is not the case: here some people despaired (Deligne, etc., etc.), then completely different people came and did somehow. Because in principle they do not know what is good. "

What a fag. this Dmitry.
>>
>>9077933
But unlike you, he knows what he's talking about
>>
File: 1490153640725.jpg (21KB, 538x491px) Image search: [Google]
1490153640725.jpg
21KB, 538x491px
>>9077936
You think the people who gave Lurie the Breakthrough Prize are also incompetent?
>>
>>9074637
Can someone explain to me why this is important?
>>
>>9078936
It isn't.
No one will read that stuff.
>>
>>9078936
That's a bit hard to answer for a few reasons, his work is really abstract so it's difficult to explain, much of what he's doing is building up theory that's providing deep insights in algebraic geometry and algebraic topology however only time will tell how successful or useful this program is (unlike scholze's perfectoid spaces which have been immediately useful), and due to the nature of pure math many of the concrete results he has claimed have yet to be confirmed. This is not uncommon in mathematics, grothendiek for example wasn't awarded the fields medal for arguably his greatest work in algebraic geometry, that's just of pure math is. I would however not focus on just lurie's work, there's a lot of other approaches to AG that have already yielded extremely interesting results.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/0909.0069.pdf
>>
>>9078958
This. No one's ever going to read a 2000+ document full of dense proofs. Only an AI could make sense of it.
>>
Pure mathematics is funny, if you think about it for a second.
>>
>>9074890
You mean like when he jerks his own dick off? I wouldn't call that "god's thoughts" though!
>>
>>9078936
The proof itself is mathematics at work in a way. Just meaningless permutations of the same nonsense over and over. Think of it as group theory applied in practice.
>>
File: silent.png (123KB, 279x226px) Image search: [Google]
silent.png
123KB, 279x226px
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.