[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Textbook study

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: Weird_sci_reading_list.jpg (2MB, 1360x3837px) Image search: [Google]
Weird_sci_reading_list.jpg
2MB, 1360x3837px
How do you all study from textbooks?
Just reading them?
Read and make notes?
Read, make notes and do all the questions/problems?

And when you eventually move past the basic undergrad level of textbooks to the more advanced texts that don't have many or any problems, what do you all do then?

Surely there's an objectively best way to learn, understand and memorize content.
Need to know because I go to a relatively shit university.
>>
>>9072847
>read textbook
>write questions that pop into your head as you are reading it
>if question is answered somewhere later in the textbook write the answer under your question
>if it's not answered by the time you finish a chapter look online
>do all the problems
>reason out why the write answer is right and why the wrong answer is wrong
IF you really want to learn something than that's all you really need to do.
>>
>>9072847
I just slowly consume them. Take notes if something seems both important and likely that i'll forget it.

I make sure to try and do the examples on my own. This can be really challenging, but I've found it to be pretty rewarding to compare and contrast your thought process going into a problem vs. the odds and ends the book teaches you.

Additionally, if the book contains sample problems, such as at the end of the chapter, I make sure to do a couple of problems, and then try to do the hardest problems.

Additionally, if there are axioms or other such statements that are being proven, I might muck around on a whiteboard and see if I can just get interesting results.

If you were extremely motivated, you would take notes on everything, and input them into a spaced repetition software.

I haven't done any super complicated topics though, so I'm not sure how well this would hold up when doing particularly complex topics, but this all has worked exceedingly well for me.
>>
solve all the problems until they're all correct
>>
>>9072960
Are these questions just for your own understanding in that moment? Or do you look back over them every few months?

>>9072991
Same question I guess, do you keep reviewing your notes?
>>
>>9073044
To be honest, I really don't take a lot of notes, I'm very...image-orientated with math, and my memory for that so far is good, so I remember most math concepts that I learn, particularly when I play around with them.

The small notes that I do take, I review if I haven't worked on the subject for a while, if the notes are just equations/axioms/theorems/etc that I haven't been arsed to memorize, or if I can't remember a concept but know that I noted it down somewhere.
>>
>>9072847
I never study from just textbooks.

>pre-read day before, no note taking
>take notes during lecture
>make flashcards straight after
>use flashcards on public transport, spaced repetition for effectiveness

>attempt homework questions day before tutorial
>Use tutorial time covering weakpoints

The flashcards are something I'm trialing this semester because I have a unit which is very case-study heavy, and I expect the exam to require me to regurgitate facts.
>>
>>9072847

you gotta BE THE MARBLE
>>
File: gtm_1.png (153KB, 941x841px) Image search: [Google]
gtm_1.png
153KB, 941x841px
>>
File: gtm_2.png (87KB, 927x545px) Image search: [Google]
gtm_2.png
87KB, 927x545px
>>9074318
>>
File: gtm_3.png (46KB, 772x392px) Image search: [Google]
gtm_3.png
46KB, 772x392px
>>9074326
>>
File: gtm_4.png (92KB, 927x550px) Image search: [Google]
gtm_4.png
92KB, 927x550px
>>9074329
>>
>>9074318
>>9074326
>>9074329
>>9074332
What is it? Where i can download them? Of course if it is available.
>>
>>9074651
piratebay
>>
>>9074651
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/7656704/All_Springer_Graduate_Texts_in_Mathematics_since_2005_-_MYRIAD

https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/7245702/Graduate_Texts_in_Mathematics__Undergraduate_Texts_in_Mathematic
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.