[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amateur Astronomers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

File: mayak-satellite.jpg (29KB, 634x398px) Image search: [Google]
mayak-satellite.jpg
29KB, 634x398px
Any amateur astronomers spotted the Mayak yet?
It's a Russian kickstarter project that is basically just a cubesat with a big inflatable reflector mounted on it. It was rumored to be as bright as Venus (highly unlikely) but I can't find any solid sightings of it so far even though it's been up for nearly 2 weeks. It passed over my area the other night and I didn't see anything. One Czech guy supposedly spotted it but he said it wasn't even visible to the naked eye.

My guess is it either failed to deploy it's reflector properly or the estimations of how bright it would be were massively overblown.

earthsky.org/space/mayak-bright-russian-satellite-july-august-2017
>>
>>9072754
In an earlier thread about this, some Anon posted a link to a Russian site where somebody got to talking to the designer(s) of Mayak and tried to explain to them why there calculations of how bright it would be when viewed from the ground were WAY off.

I am sorry I did not save the link, it was fascinating -- the designer(s) seemed really unable to follow what was being explained to them -- but the upshot was that the satellite, as designed, would likely only be visible at all under perfect conditions and then probably would be hard to spot other than rare flashes when a facet "spotlighted" you as the thing tumbled.

Hopefully some other Anon saved the link.
>>
>>9072821
>the satellite, as designed, would likely only be visible at all under perfect conditions and then probably would be hard to spot other than rare flashes when a facet "spotlighted" you as the thing tumbled.

I was thinking that too considering I saw absolutely nothing when I looked for it the other night. Assuming it's in a relatively stable orbit (by which I mean it's not tumbling or spinning) it would be completely invisible to a massive part of the area it's passing over. I would be interested in knowing how bright it can get under optimal conditions, but it doesn't really seem like the designers thought it through all that well. Too bad because it seems like a fun concept to get people interested in space. Maybe I can find that link in the archive.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.