[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I too dumb for research?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

>want to find out if there is a connection between average annual temperature and housing prices
>Open excel
>import a list of all the cities in my metro area
>Cant find a list of average temperature for anything but major cities
>Cant find a website with complete data for individual cities
>finally find a site, but I have to manually type in each cities name and copy paste the data to excel
>over 150 cities
>23 cities in
>find out the site only has data on 70% of these cities
>Cant will myself to spend another hour doing this
>Damn this would be so much easier if I knew how to code
>look up R tutorial and study for 1 hour
>realize it will take me months to even be able to code my original simple task
>give up

How do I get out of this trap?
It takes too long to learn to program, but it is completely unsustainable to manually enter all my data like this.

But I really want to know if there is a correlation.
>>
you should try using python instead, it's a lot more intuitive for things like data/information processing
>>
File: IMG_2150.png (5KB, 280x272px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2150.png
5KB, 280x272px
>>9072095
Keep trying anonfriend. You're learning the best way possible: necessity. Most people try to learn for the sake of learning, which is really great, but they either get bored of it part way through because of a lack of applications or they have trouble implementing what they've learned due to a lack of practical knowledge.

Get off 4chan and keep trying. You will never feel better than after completing something you've put some real work in to.
>>
It takes 5 mins to write comparison script in python
>>
>>9072145
Stop taunting me.

I dont know anything about python.

I know its easier that doing it by hand. I just cant bring myself to study 40 hours to resolve such a simple question.
>>
>>9072150
it doesn't take 40 hours to learn python! it basically reads just like english. it's meant for this sort of thing
>>
>>9072095
First thing. There are great sites for finding weather/temperature information that output CSV files so you don't have to write a dumb program to scrape it off the internet. Check EPA, NOAA, NASA.
Second.. use something better than excel that operates external to the dataset.. Matlab/Igor/OriginLab are good.
>>
>>9072212
Thanks. I am econ student, so I am very familar with where I can get that kind of data, but I was completely clueless for equivalent sites in meteorology.
>>
>>9072150
but once you spend that 40 hours youll be able to solve many questions
>>
>>9072095
im 50% throught a python book now. Ty for the inspiration anons.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.