[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Time travel"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: kirisu hands.gif (314KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
kirisu hands.gif
314KB, 512x384px
is it possibe to send memories back in time to change the past?

Pic not related
>>
>Time
No such thing
>>
I wonder who could be behind this post.
>>
>>9065028
so what youre saying is time is like an everflowing river that leads to any and every choice being a possibility? In english pls
>>
>>9065021
Using a graph that shows three physical directions and non-physical... x,y,z, and t (time) one can see that you can displace any point to the negative side of each line for x,y,z. But what about t (time), if time is in fact a fourth dimension then, just like the other three dimensions, one should be able to have negative time. Now, I know that you might argue that t (time) is just a "helper" to x,y,z - time zones, we can't tell where to be without saying when and vise versa. So, time might just be a fraction of x,y,z but if it isn't then it might be a fourth dimension.\

>what do you mean by "negative time"?
I don't know. I am just pointing out a pattern, more specifically, a correlation. Why wouldn't t (time) have negative values if x,y, and z do have negative values? (implying that t (time) is a fourth dimension.)

>What is time is circular and not linear?
If it's a circle then that means no time travel because things that will happen are already happening.
If linear then you can travel back in time. How? I don't know.

>Send memories to the past... change future
This would be false if time is a circle but if it is linear then the other x,y, and z values can change maybe even the outcome of that change (change the future)

>Send memories
Research "Tachyon" theoretical particle that can move faster than light. I think that if a particle can move faster than light then everything we know about time and distances in the physical cosmology field would be wrong. Okay, maybe not wrong but not accurate enough.
>move faster than light
If a tachyon can move through space faster than light then the distance and time can change to a negative value because this particle would have no physical bounds and time is not physical.

Just my two cents using my limited knowledge on the subject of Physics.

http://www.pitt.edu/~jdnorton/teaching/HPS_0410/chapters_2017_Jan_1/Special_relativity_clocks_rods/index.html
>>
>>9065453
I want to expand more...
Now, time not being physical would mean that in the future when every quantum field advances we might have a breakthrough discovery about time. The reason why I say that is because I have been learning about quantum computers and how a bit can not only be a 1 and a 0 at a time but both... at once. So, again, just a pattern or correlations that might open doors to understanding time and hopefully reach a point where we can not only think about time or be in time at a -1 value (past) or a 0 value (present) but also as a positive value; or maybe even both values at once. If time is a circle then thinking about all three values can allow us to "see" our future in out head and make decisions to change the future. If time is a line, then we can travel non-physically (because time isn't physical) into the future and send memories to the present or past.

>A little pseudo-science-y
World lines. What if we can travel in time but only by changing the entirety of our past and future. We would probably become someone else and not know that we traveled in time. Maybe that happens when we die, we a forced be become babies again so we have no memory of our "past-self".
>>
>>9065484
>A little pseudo-science-y
I just realized that what I wrote before that is just as pseudo-science-y
>>
It depends on what your granting as unreal sequences. That also can change what the function of backwards is in this case.
>>
Logically such a sequence can occur should you grant particular sequences. Whether this is possible in nature is a completely different dilemma.
>>
>>9065021
Time and space are not the same thing?
And if they are, this means that basically past and future don´t exist anymore, right?

Time as a concept like in a video game does not exist... Places where time is slower are like that because of high magnetic energy which make matter slower.

Therefore time is basically the sum of interactions between matter in a place right?

Therefore it is a human concept, not a physical one, to us past exist because it is written in our brains or in any form of data...

To physics it is something that don´t exist anymore, and only can be proven because of the data left.

I would like to someone expand on this topic please.
>>
File: 1495122613269.png (47KB, 251x200px) Image search: [Google]
1495122613269.png
47KB, 251x200px
>>9065021
No.
Each time a memory is stored, the entropy of the entire universe must increase. (actually all actions increase universal entropy, but whatever) So if you were to send a memory backwards in time you would increase the entropy of whenever you sent it to. This requires you to use FTL particles to transmit energy into the past in order to move shit around. That energy would cause some sort of action, and that action would be recorded. Entropy would increase, and everything would be all good.
However, the math regarding such FTL particles also states that they'd never, ever be able to slow down to less than FTL velocities. Because the particles can't slow down to less than FTL, they can't interact with particles in the past. So things aren't actually good. They're actually pretty shit.

<ARMCHAIR PARTICLE PHYSICS WARNING>
If you could actually create an FTL particle it would zip off into the infinite past without giving that energy back to any particular point in the past. Thus, you would have effectively removed energy from the universe. And you can't do that. So you can't make FTL particles. But even IF you could, they wouldn't interact with the past. And this is completely sidestepping the issue of actually accelerating anything to FTL, which you also can't do.

So basically, no.
>>
Don't worry about it, trust me it's not as fun as it sounds. It's way better in an actual ship.
>>
In order to answer the question, you need to define space (ex. Euclidean v non-Euclidean) and you will need to define what sequences you allow. Once you combine both of those concepts you can start debating the physics of it.

Our Einsteinian concept of space uses non-Euclidean spatial concepts along with sequences that essentially cannot "go backwards". That being said, the "accepted" scientific view point is such particles could not go back in time.

To only add, one has to be specific on their concept of mind (ex. Material/monist v dualism). Depending on which answer one chooses, one may also have to adjust their belief to how space and sequence (time) occurs.

One may also note that our current combination of space and time may have evolved or transformed due to particular events. This remains speculative but there is evidence and arguments for it.

Finally, because of all if the different combinations of space and time combined with the fact such combinations may be dynamic, no one really knows for sure if, "...you can send memories back in time."
>>
Yes. There are three theoretical ways to time travel to the past.

1) Faster than light travel/tachyons. Probably impossible.
2) Get a wormhole, put one of the ends of the wormhole near a blackhole/in a spaceship at relativistic speeds, and then walk through it. It implies everything related to wormholes.
3) Get two entangled particles, put one of them near a blackhole/in a spaceship at relativistic speeds, and then measure them. Probably the only possible way.
>>
Things you need to know to understand space-time.
Geometry: axioms, euclidean v non euclidean space.
Logical sequence: simultaneity, time order, unreal sequences.
These concepts are what articles and movies leave out. These concepts are the essentials to your question.
>>
File: 1461083872025.jpg (64KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1461083872025.jpg
64KB, 400x400px
>>9065616
>>9065713
>time doesn't exist
Is there a greater meme? Everybody knows that Einstein was wrong and the only reason why people don't question his discoveries is his disciples are still alive and in charge of science departments. Quantum Mechanics is irreconcilable with General Relativity and for good reason: GR is wrong. Of course time exists. If time is just a dimension of space that has always existed, if time in the way that Newton described it does not exist, as some people make it to be, then things that are only possible in a Newtonian environment wouldn't exist. For example, evolution. The evolution of life forms only exists when you assume the existence of time as we intuitively understand it. It's a logical sequence of facts that happens in function of time. Of course there is time and it's possible to time travel.
>>
All I know is the space between opinion and facts is great here. Outside of name dropping and sci-fi scenes, there isn't really any valid and sound arguments for any particular theory of time.
>>
File: 20039372_p0.jpg (128KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
20039372_p0.jpg
128KB, 500x500px
>>9065021
>pic not related
>>
>>9065021
This is the most retarded circlejerk I have ever seen on /sci/ and that's saying something, not a single one of you knows what you're talking about, go larp somewhere else please
>>
>>9065021
Yes. What you call "deja vu" is simple memories of your future self being sent back in the worldline.

t. /x/

>>9065779
What you are describing is motion, not actual time. Physically, "time" affects nothing
>>
Black hole space talk was def not accurate. But some of the actual concepts like sequence and non-Euclidean space wouldve pointed some one in a text book direction.
>>
>>9065779
>>>/x/
>>
>>9065021
>Pic not related
Sure.......
>>
>>9065021
>is it possibe to send memories back in time to change the past?
probably not but you can send memories forward in time to change the future
>>
>>9066827
This fuckin guy
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.