[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There is a predictor, a player, and two boxes designated A and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: goat.jpg (481KB, 750x641px)
goat.jpg
481KB, 750x641px
There is a predictor, a player, and two boxes designated A and B. The player is given a choice between taking only box B, or taking both boxes A and B. The player knows the following:

- Box A is clear, and always contains a visible $1,000.
- Box B is opaque, and its content has already been set by the predictor:

If the predictor has predicted the player will take both boxes A and B, then box B contains nothing.
If the predictor has predicted that the player will take only box B, then box B contains $1,000,000.
>>
>>9063590

what do you have to lose by taking both boxes? this is a shitty problem.
>>
So always predict box B because $1000 is not shit.
>>
>>9063590
Knock out the predictor and take his stuff
>>
>>9063601
Approximately $999,000 dollars.
>>
>>9063611
>and its content has already been set by the predictor

so you just pick both boxes if you're the player.
>>
>>9063611
The two results are gain 1k or gain 1k and a potential of 1 million. You always choose the later.
>>
>>9063624
this. There is no reason to not pick both
>>
>>9063603
>>9063611

i hope /sci/'s reading comprehension skills aren't actually this bad, and that you're just trolling
>>
>>9063629
OP didn't post what happens to the player. I think I've seen this somewhere before and if you pick both and the predictor predicted just B he gets all the money and you get nothing.
>>
>>9063642
Or I mean if he predicts correctly he gets all the money. You only get money if you pick differently than the prediction.
>>
>>9063642

the player takes the boxes.

>The player is given a choice between taking only box B, or taking both boxes A and B
>>
>>9063652
>Predictor predicts A and B, Player takes A and B
Predictor and Player split $1k

>Predictor predicts A and B, player takes B
Predictor and Player both get nothing

>Predictor predicts B, Player takes B
Predictor and Player split $100k

>Predictor predicts B, Player takes A and B
Predictor gets nothing, Player gets $101,000
>>
File: 1473389737578.jpg (54KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1473389737578.jpg
54KB, 612x612px
>>9063666
>>
>>9063666
Predictor ideal is always predict B
Player ideal is always take both boxes

It's a psychology problem, not a math problem. You have to decide whether to assume the other person is playing their optimal strategy, or if they're playing the contrary because they anticipate you changing yours in anticipation that they are.
>>
>>9063681

the content of the opaque box is already set by the time the player gets to choose. it does not depend on the player's choice.
>>
>>9063590
The standard formulation specifies that the predictor has publicly played this game hundreds of times, against many different, randomly selected players, and has always been right; moreover, many players have taken only box B and gotten $1 million, while everyone else has chosen both boxes only to find box B to be empty. This has been true even for players who try to take all of this into account and adjust their strategy accordingly.

The basic idea is that the predictor is so good, they can reliably predict what people will do, even when you take that fact into account.
>>
Which choice of boxes results in me getting that goat?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.