[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Degrees of Freedom (Statistics)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1473885724063.jpg (145KB, 1920x1541px) Image search: [Google]
1473885724063.jpg
145KB, 1920x1541px
Will someone explain to me what exactly degrees of freedom means in stats?
>>
Accounting for variance in variables and some shit
>>
>>9062516
yes
>>
>>9062516
this isnt exactly an enlightening response, this much is generally gathered already
>>
File: 1500981058335.jpg (250KB, 1300x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1500981058335.jpg
250KB, 1300x1000px
>>9062438

Straight from Wikipedia and actually surprisingly helpful:

>In general, the degrees of freedom of an estimate of a parameter are equal to the number of independent scores that go into the estimate minus the number of parameters used as intermediate steps in the estimation of the parameter itself

>(e.g. the sample variance has N − 1 degrees of freedom, since it is computed from N random scores minus the only 1 parameter estimated as intermediate step, which is the sample mean).

Did you even try before making your shitpost, anon?
>>
>>9062960
Th-thanks.
>>
>>9062438
It's kinda like how many different ways a particular data point can change. So think of it like moving on a two dimensional grid. You measure the absolute movement in any direction but there is a contribution from both the x and y direction for any movement made, even if it is just zero. So when you gather data in the x direction for this absolute movement you have to account for the fact that your subject could have moved in the y direction as well throwing off the correlation between the x data set and the absolute movement data set. In science the goal is to reduce the number of affecting variables or fix them into known ranges and values so only the parameter of interest changes, ie. putting walls on either side of the subject before taking absolute movement data so it can't move in the y direction.

At least that's how I think about it.
>>
>>9062960
worse definition ever, you can find the variance without calculating the mean by using the moment-generating function.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.