[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 36

File: retard.jpg (20KB, 460x347px) Image search: [Google]
retard.jpg
20KB, 460x347px
Ask away.
>>
When magnetic potential energy is changed into kinetic energy, what actually changes within the magnet to satisfy conservation of energy?
>>
>>9062411
can the number one be a function in your basisset ?
>>
When human stands submerged in a water, why water doesn't enter his anus and goes up all the digestive system?
>>
Do cells absorb fluids that touch the skin and use sed fluids to copulate?
>>
>>9062442
The water pressure when swimming regularly isn't enough to beat the anal tone.

It's the same reason water doesn't fill up your mouth if you close it when submerged.
>>
>>9062431
There is no such thing as a magnetic potential energy. The field is not conservative in any ways. It also doesn't produce work.
>>
>>9062532
Maybe I should test it myself, but is it possible to loose it and let water in? What would happen?
>>
This is a personal question but why am I diagnosed with Schizophrenia if I don't hear voices?
>>
>>9062559
You can loosen anal tone, it's what you do when you take a shit.

You'd have to take a shit underwater and then you might get some water in, yes.

Film the experiment.
>>
>>9062575
>You'd have to take a shit underwater and then you might get some water in, yes.
kek
>>
>>9062572
Not all hallucinations are auditory, but they are the most common hallucinations in schizophrenia which is why they are commonly associated..
>>
>>9062469
I'm not a biologist, but cells absorb water through a semi permeable membrane to regulate metabolic reactions.
>>
>>9062549
If you have a magnet levitating over another magnet, it's clearly producing a force equal and opposite to that of gravity. Where does that energy come from?

I don't want to hear your semantics, because first of all you're wrong and second of all you're skirting the obvious question.
>>
>>9062584
But no one trusts me at all. How can they call me a schizo behind my back if I'm reasonable? Hasn't this shit been debunked a long time ago. If I'm schizophrenic, then how can they say I'm fluent and say I'm evading the question? I hate this psychobabble.
I just wanted my education to be done with but I don't think it matters because I have so many labels and can't relate to anyone. So am I in the wrong here? It's hard to tell people my problems when they think I'm a fucking stereotype who only thinks with logic and no emotional reasoning. It's hard to ask, but why do people think I'm schizophrenic?
>>
File: 20170725_204715.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170725_204715.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>9062411
How am I supposed to answer these
>>
>>9062670
in english
>>
>>9062670
By flipping the image 90 degrees
>>
>>9062609
Schizophrenia is a psychiatric diagnosis that often involve paranoid delusions and recurring hallucinations for a period longer than one year. A psychiatrist needs to diagnose it.

Therr are some personality disorders that have similar names (schizoid and schizofreniform) that involve odd personality traits and refusal to form emotional bonds with others.

Laymen use schizo as a synonym for "weird". Unless you feel you have some actual psychiatric issue, forget about those faggots.
>>
>>9062594
Not really, it's a pretty common misconception what you are talking about. The magnetic field is not a conservative field and doesn't hage a potential energy. The energy you are talking about two magnets interacting, the interaction is through the lorentz force law that acts on the currents inside thr materials. The energy you are looking for is only depenendant on the electric field produced by the moving charges. And yea, an electric field can produce work.Look Griffiths thrid edition ejample 5.3 for a better example. No, the magnetic field can't produce work and you are wrong
>>
>>9062678
My phone does it automatically. Sorry
>>
>>9062670
You use the definition of the limit, i.e. what it means for the right hand side of the equation to be the limit on the left hand side. So for the first, you have 10x goes to 40 as x goes to 4, meaning that for any positive epsilon there exists some delta, such that |10x - 40| < epsilon whenever |x - 4| < delta.
Since in your example epsilon is fixed at .01, you just treat that shit as a system of inequalities in x and delta.
40 - 10x < .01
39.99 < 10x
3.999 < x < 4
=> delta = .001
>>
I'm reading a basic math book.

In physics we start our derivations by modelling the system physically, or we write basic laws of physics and axioms we can then manipulate. Or a combination of the two.

In this math book I'm already stuck on the first proper proof. It's so abstract I can't see why he's chosen to do what he did. Is it a whole different way of thinking I need to develop? Should you have mathematical intuition when reading a proof where it's obviously the right thing to do at each step?

Or do you just accept that math proofs are from people poking around trying every combination of steps until something happens and just try and follow the conclusions but accept that the steps are a stab in the dark?

It's such a simple proof I don't see why I shouldn't be able to visualise it (that any 2 real numbers have another rational number between)
>>
If mankind was to unilaterally agree that if ever timetravel was discovered an apple would be sent back to Times Square in New York exactly at 10pm on the 26th of July 2017 , would that prove or disprove time travel for good?
>>
>>9062826
it is very different, and you will need to practice until you begin to understand it.
it comes easier if you see it in a lecture. i suggest finding something on youtube, or just keep reading proofs in the book and keep attempting to do them.
it's not necessary to "try everything," you'll learn that there are better ways to approach problems

as for your problem, try to represent the two real numbers as a particular rational fractions plus some real number in the numerator, then adjust the denominator until the you can fit an obvious rational number -such as 1- between the two numerators
>>
>>9062679
I thought schizophreniform was "short term" Schizophrenia, you mean schizotypal personality disorder?

The only people who "know" that I have """schizophrenia""" are my psychiatrists, therapists, and doctors. I know I shouldn't disregard because they went to school for this shit but they never told me the truth as why they think I have it. It honestly scares me that i can think a certain way and it could be "wrong". I told the people I was a sociopath but they didn't even believe me. It felt strange that I don't even know about myself other than having autism and psychosis, literally.
I've honestly had hallucinations before but they were all visual, some MAY have been auditory but I'm not for sure. I never had command hallucinations but I quite literally don't know if I exist. This may all sound like edgy nihilist bullshit but I have always thought this way and don't know why. I only talk to my therapist once every 2 weeks and it's always small talk and stuff like "have you been contemplating suicide recently"? I have never had a conversation with someone that actually revealed how I think other than labels. Call this a blog but I need a safe space to get my thoughts out because I don't feel welcome anywhere outside da chanz.

Please give me input, tell me to fuck off if you'd like.
>>
>>9062727
No it doesn't, it's because 4chan doesn't save metadata from phoneposters, you just have to hold your phone horizontally.
>>
>>9062826

A math proof that is presented in the book, depending on the book, usually favors elegance and succintness over exposition. Don't read a proof as a way to learn to reason about the problem the way you would reason about the physics problem.

All a proof is is the logical progression of assumptions to conclusion. Without sufficient understanding of the problem, you will have difficulties.

Proofs are NOT a stab in the dark. They are often one of the only, if not the only way to know a claim is true. They are the complete, and wrapped up version of rigorous mathematical logic and they should not be confused with the exposition of reasoning that you are used to in physics.

Being able to read and understand proofs is what is meant by mathematical maturity, and unfortunately the only way to develop the maturity is to work in hard math problems. I would try a simple proofs book, so that you can learn some logic and structure of proof, then come back to your pic (assuming that is what you are reading)
>>
What exactly am I supposed to be finding in differential equations. I don't know any application besides flow rates.
>>
>>9062993

Undergrad Differential equations are like 100+ year old maths

Don't worry about it
>>
>>9062962

I'm not sure what you're asking. Can you frame this into a question?
>>
>>9062549
There is not a single correct sentence in this post. If a field is not conservative, then by definition it produces work in a closed loop. Magnetic field exists and is conservative.

>>9062594
Work is defined as force times distance. As long as your magnet is just sitting there levitating and not moving, there is no work being done. When it moves, then someone is moving it and this someone is introducing energy into the system.
>>
>>9063024
Magnetic field can't produce work because it's always perpendicular to the velocity of the particle in motion you brainlet. Not being conservative was to illustrate that there is no such thing as magnetic potential enegry.
>>
>>9063032
Not the magnetic field, but the loretnz force law. My bad
>>
>>9062993
Equations of motion, optimization, basically all of physics. It is one of the most interesting parts of applied mathematics. When I studied it first I didn't get it either, it is something you learn to like as you find fieldservice to apply it. I'd start with Classical Mechanics and the Euler-lagrange equation.
>>
>>9063010
It's hard to ask a question. It may be something wrong with me.
I would ask you "why have I never been able to think normally". But you wouldn't be able to answer it. No one has, not even my family. I am so lost in this world but poetry is just a release. I am not good at expressing my thoughts verbally or written.
I don't mean to think and type to you this way but I don't know anyway differently because I have always done this since I was 3-4 years old. I was considered a genius but never could relate or trust anyone. It's sad.
My question is:
Why do I think this way (without another fucking label like schizophrenia or autism) and what could I do to help it stop?
>>
>>9062873
>>9062984

That is what I'm reading.

Ok thanks, I'll try find a video or two, if it doesn't become apparent I'll go even lower level and go simple proofs before tackling concepts.
>>
>>9063032
>Magnetic field can't produce work because it's always perpendicular to the velocity of the particle in motion you brainlet
Sure, if there is no external forces acting it will produce no work, just like every other conservative field out there. Now take the particle and force it to move not perpendicular to the field: work!
>>
>>9063032
>no such thing as magnetic potential enegry.
Wrong again. Potential is simply the difference in the value of the field in two different positions. As long as the field isn't the same in all of space, it will have a potential. Seriously, stop posting.
>>
>>9063052
You don't know what you are talking about. No, in no circumstances can the magnetic field produce work. There's no configuration where this is the case.
>>
>>9063061
God Dammit are you trolling me?
>>
File: Untitled.png (23KB, 748x751px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
23KB, 748x751px
Why does this work?
>>
>>9063065
Magnetic field's work is only zero on charge particles moving freely along the field lines. If you have a particle restricted to move on a path, it will produce a work on that particle. What the fuck is the problem?
>>
>>9063088
No, whatever is constricting the particle is the thing producing the work. For example, in an electric circuit that's being pulled by a force caused by a magnetic field, it's the tendency of the current to maintain its trayerctory using the energy given by the battery what actually causes the work, not the magnetic field. Just fucking google the proof.
>>
>>9063044

Your brain may be wired very differently from neurotypical people. This is why you think so differently and it's probably why you got a diagnosis of schizophrenia, assuming you are the person that mentioned that.

Schizophrenia doesn't require auditory hallucinations, it can have other symptoms, and one of them is the rambling pattern of speech and thought.

You won't ever be normal, but if you see a psychiatrist, you should trust him. You probably feel as if the world is trying to rig everything against you, or that people are in on some secret against you, trying to make you feel like this, but it's not true. You need medication.
>>
>>9063049

In my experience, if you are not familiar with proof structure and strategy, why even basic proofs work will not be apparent. I would definitely take some time to learn some mathematical logic and proof. "Book of proof" is short, online, and free. Work through that then approach an analysis book. By the time you finish both, you will have WAY more mathematical maturity, beyond much of your physics peers
>>
>>9063262
I have medication, I don't take it because it's literal poison that gives me dystonia and other problems.
>You probably feel as if the world is trying to rig everything against you, or that people are in on some secret against you, trying to make you feel like this, but it's not true.
But it seems true though, but I can't make an observation whether it is true or not because I'm told not to trust myself. You could actually be an Artificial Intelligence program designed to make inadequate assumptions about my life to confuse me and make me afraid. It likely could be true, but you have to insult me every fucking chance I try to prove you wrong.
But is it even an issue when I could just ignore everything an live in absolute filth for the rest of the life, knowing people don't actually care if I'm successful and want to use me for their greed? You think I want to be apart of a community that outright shuns people just for thinking differently, and at the same time shuns people for thinking similarly? Why don't you people make up your fucking mind already?
I'm not really scared, but I'm afraid of being scared. It's some surreal shit. I don't even want to kill myself because I don't want to burn in hell, but I don't want to go to heaven because no one will recognize me.
I can't prove if you are actually conscious or not, I don't know how you feel and never will because I don't know how I feel and neither do you. Humiliate me if you will. I always feel like people are either laughing at me or are ashamed of me. It's torture.
>>
>>9063262
What if I'm constantly thinking people are out to get me and I always disregard it and it always ends up being true? So many times I've been saying to someone or they say to me yeah I bet they're gonna do whatever and they do. Or even worse you have a feeling this nigga thinks you're fuckin dumb because you're trying to pretend like you're not suspicious even though what he's doing is as obvious as could be. And then you talk to someone else and they're like nah dude chill but then you're suspicious of them. And then that turns out to be true. And you're just standing there with your thumb up your ass cuz you just got played by some dumbfuck. And they even give you that look, that devilish grin with them cheatin eyes like yeah, I got you ya fuckin retard. I think this might be a dumb question because I live in a small town full of druggie losers. But the people who make the most sense look insane. They'll tell you you're an idiot for trusting anyone but to you they seem paranoid. And then any time you look a little suspicious everyone is super suspicious and they 'know' you did whatever and there's nothing you can do. I hate being so paranoid but fuck even in school it seemed like I could just look at a teacher and be like yeah this bitch is gonna go out of her way to fuck with me for no reason. Like I just look like a liberal and I'm in a really conservative town. I'm fairly conservative myself but it's like they'd come at me with an argument against liberals and I'm just like uh okay. I feel like Stan in the South Park episode about Aspen. Constantly being Stan Darshed. I'm somewhat convinced I'm completely surrounded by psychopaths.

And I can always guess who's gonna be a good friend and who is just twofaced. I think I'm just in a bad environment but I worry if the same shit happens everywhere.
>>
File: wiut.png (4KB, 352x59px) Image search: [Google]
wiut.png
4KB, 352x59px
How would I go about changing the dt to a dx so I can apply the fund theorem of calc here?
>>
>>9063371
>How would I go about changing the dt to a dx so I can apply the fund theorem of calc here?
you don't

see
http://mathmistakes.info/facts/CalculusFacts/learn/doi/doil.html
>>
For trig identities how do I prove that (secx+cscx)/(tanx+cotx) is equal to sinx+cosx?
>>
>>9062411
1+1=?
>>
Are explosions physical changes or chemical reactions?
>>
>>9063371
What is the derivative of a constant?
>>
>>9063802

Chemical reaction that releases enormous amounts of energy
>>
>>9063826

>>
What would a metal projectile the size of a pencil moving at Mach 7 (2382m/s) sound like as it passes by 5 feet in front t of you?
>>
>>9063826
That's not a constant
>>
>>9063878
>Mach 7
Sound wave would have the same energy density as if it was going mach 1/7. Faint whoosh maybe.
>>
>>9063371
(t + root(1)) dt
Then
t^2/2
>>
>>9063894
So breaking the sound barrier doesn't create any noise?
>>
>>9063939
Yes but this thing didn't accelerate up through mach 1 in the question it's just going at mach 7 already.
And at mach 7 the sound waves from it aren't overlapping like they would be at mach 1 so it's actually pretty quiet.
>>
>>9060298
bumparoo
>>
>>9062411
Im a high IQ social autist.
I was never great at essays no matter how hard I try, so I'm at a second rate uni.
I'd like to transfer out to a better uni by the end of the year but the science department here is very bad. Units are run in a very unproffessional manner and its very obvious that none of the staff want to be here teaching.

What kinds of units can I take that dont involve artys crap that I can get distinctions in without having to "feel" and "think the right way".
>>
>>9064151
to add to this im looking for units that wouldnt be taught by science department, but this isnt entierly a requirement if they cant get their stuff wrong no matter how lazily they attempt it.

So far Ive taken anatomy and bio units and done well but I really don't enjoy them in the slightest.
>>
>>9063084
see
>>9064180
>>
>>9063758
Each of those four functions can be expressed in terms of sin(x) and/or cos(x). Substitute, simplify, and you'll end up with (sin(x)+cos(x))/(sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)). And the denominator is equal to 1.
>>
>>9064334
For the same reason people believe in gravity, which is also """"only"""" a theory.

"Theory" means a very well documented (with a lot of evidence in favor and very little evidence against it) and commonly accepted explanation for a phenomenon. It is the strongest thing you can get in a natural science.

You are confusing "hypothesis" and "theory". A "hypothesis" is a possible explanation for a phenomenon not yet well researched with little evidence supporting it. Evolution is not a hypothesis, it is a theory.
>>
>>9064210
I'm calculating the maximum length of any sequence below a number
>>
>>9063315
I have had similar paranoia issues in the past. Trust me, noone is out to get you.
Everybody worries to some extend what other people think about them, but you have to realise that other people are simply too busy with their own problems too be able to form a collective plot against you.

I started to tell myself that these thoughts are simply stupid, then i started to work out and and engange in hobbies (archery and judo) this has increased my confidence to a point where even if i start getting these thoughts, i shrug it off like "I dont care what this dude thinks about me"

Hope this helps. Best wishes.
>>
Are there any paradoxes that do not reduce to Russel's Paradox?
>>
>>9064941
Yes
>>
>>9062713
Just because a magnetic field is non-conservative, doesn't mean that the Lorentz force does not produce work. A rail gun could not function if this were the case.
>>
>>9064945
Such as?
>>
>>9062411
Surely there's some sort of miraculous polymer they could make roads out of that can stretch so you don't have to repave the roads every damn year in Minnesota, and the only reason they don't use it is to make construction jobs? Right? If not, why is asphalt the best we can do in *current year*?
>>
>>9064970
I am going to assume that if there is such a material, it is because it costs more in the foreseeable future repave a road with such a polymer instead of just repairing the road with asphalt.
>>
Can anyone post the math textbook list which starts at brainlet tier and ends with bourbaki?
>>
File: Screenshot (1).png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (1).png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Hello everyone, could someone explain this to me?
http://imgur.com/a/wvX1k
I dont understand why "because there is no value of z that satisfies the equation x + y = z for all values of x
and y."
>>
>>9062411

Can someone please explain to me what steps are generally taken to entangle two particles ?
>>
File: French_33b7a9_717030.gif (96KB, 600x341px) Image search: [Google]
French_33b7a9_717030.gif
96KB, 600x341px
>>9065344
Pic related
>>
>>9065357
That explains everything thanks.
>>
>>9062559
you would get water in your bum, crazy i know
>>
>>9062411

What is a better school:

> University of minnesota
> Renesseleaeaer polytechnic

University of minnesota has higher rankings but I have a feeling those are a bunch of shit
>>
Why does this board have so many threads starting with Pepes? I feel like it shouldn't happen here
>>
>>9065418

> if someone is on 4chan they must be stupid
>>
File: 1485099486496.png (43KB, 444x287px) Image search: [Google]
1485099486496.png
43KB, 444x287px
Let's say someone got into an acid accident, could I use salt water instead of water to stop it? Like if he had a splash of acid in his face and I put him into a bath tube full with water to neutralize it, would adding salt to the water help?
>>
>>9062411
Magnets, how do they work?
>>
>>9065505
>Londonistan problems
>>
>>9065505
No not really. Better to put something like baking soda. Or better yet go to a doctor who can treat the acid burns effectively beyond stopping immediate chemical reactions.
>>
>>9065510
I wonder how many people who ridiculed this knew how magnets work
>>
>>9065533
is salt water a buffer?
>>
>>9064953
The magnetic field component doesn't. The work is done by the electric field that mantains the current.
>>
>>9065544
I mean depends on the salts and the concentrations of each kind. For example tossing in NaCl makes equimolar amounts of NaOH and HCl so no change. Toss in a bunch of chlorine and suddenly there's a bunch of extra HCl that's liberating ions from regular water and vice versa. Buffers are better at resisting changes in pH and usually require either an acid and its conjugate base or a base and a conjugate acid.
>>
File: maze10x10.gif (908B, 21x21px) Image search: [Google]
maze10x10.gif
908B, 21x21px
Why do you spend so much time on this website instead of doing the things you will want to have had done when you are too old to do them?
>>
>>9062411
Is GEDmatch.com safe?
Will I be cloned?
>>
>>9063371
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_theorem_of_calculus#First_part

f(t):=the integrand

d/dx of that whole thing thing = f(2x) (2x)' = 2 sqrt(4x^2+1)

Evaluated at sqrt(2):
sqrt(4*2+1)=sqrt(9)=3
>>
>>9065800
forgot to multiply by 2.
the answer is 6
>>
>>9065555
>NaOH and HCl
>an acid and its conjugate base or a base and a conjugate acid
isn't NaOH and HCl a base and it's acid? they dissolve dont they?
>>
>>9065340
Thats what the universal quantifers make precise. The statement says "there exists a z, such that for all x and y, z equals x+y". Consider z=3, clearly not all values of x+y equal it.
>>
File: brainlet.jpg (15KB, 500x215px) Image search: [Google]
brainlet.jpg
15KB, 500x215px
Posting this here where it belongs. Can someone explain how you resolve this?
>>
File: YARE YARE DAZE.jpg (61KB, 260x273px) Image search: [Google]
YARE YARE DAZE.jpg
61KB, 260x273px
>>9066762
distributivity only works multiplication over addition. Not multiplication over multiplication, like you have on pic related. ´

Here's a tip: instead of memorizing the rules, you should try to understand the reasoning behind those rules.
>>
>>9066762
That's not how distributing multiplication works
Consider 2*12=24
2(3*4)=6*4=24 or
2(3*4)=3*8=24 but NOT
2(3*4)=6*8=48 (which is 2*24 because there is an extra 2 in there now)
>>
>>9066798
Ahhh ofc! Tyvm.

I feel like I should return my degree now....
>>
P( A and B) = P(A) x P(B)

Why do we multiply? How does multiplication here make sense mathematically?
>>
Have you ever heard someone say "I have a four year degree"?
I heard someone say that the other day, but it sounds really odd to me, because most people would just say "i have a bachelor degree" or "i have a degree in ...", but not some vague statement like "I have a four year degree".
>>
>>9066868
That's true if and only if the events A, B are dependent. It can be derived from the formula for conditional probability P(A given B) = P(A and B) / P(B). If A and B are independent events, you wouldn't expect the occurrence of A to depend on the occurrence of B. So P(A given B) = P(A). Now you can see that P(A and B) = P(A)P(B).

You can consider the example where you flip a fair coin 2 times. Let A = heads on first flip; B = tails on second flip. A and B are obviously independent events and P(A) = P(B) = 0.5, so P(A given B) = P(A) = 0.5 which implies P(A and B) = 0.25. This is the same value you'd get for P(A and B) if you listed the cases one-by-one: {HH, HT, TH, TT} so P(HT) = 0.25.
>>
>>9067064

Thanks a lot!
>>
>>9067064
>>9067159
>That's true if and only if the events A, B are dependent
Oops. Meant independent
>>
>>9067064
> That's true if and only if the events A, B are dependent.
Independent.
>>
>>9065033
pls
>>
Why does /sci/ think math & physics > chemistry?
>>
>>9067402
chemistry is a proper subset of physics
>>
>>9062411
I am currently getting off of a powerful opioid analgesic (buprenorphine), and to cope I have been using 12-24 mg Loperamide daily. Well, four and a half day after my last dose of buprenorphine I still feel the need for the loperamide because it reduces withdrawal symptoms. On a scale of 1-10, how dangerous is it for me to gradually use Loperamide to taper down over the next week?
>>
>>9066946
This doesn't sound weird to me, fwiw. I hear "four year degree" instead of "bachelor's" regularly.
>>
>>9065565
Cloning is litterally impossible buddy don't worry
>>
File: maxresdefault (8).jpg (41KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (8).jpg
41KB, 1280x720px
How come i always get the wrong answer when i use the disk/washers method (volumes of revolution) across the y axis? Whenever i use the shell method i get the right answer
>>
>>9062559
You'd fill up with water from the anus upwards and it would come out of your mouth like a little fountain
>>
>>9067464
not very dangerous at all, you can take lope in doses 10 times the usual dose if it is to come off of heroin/bupe/whatever.

i'm currently in a methadone program and know the whole opiate dependance deal.

go nuts (within reason) on the lope, use it as much as you feel the need to, it's literally fine up to about 20-30mg.

what does of sub were you taking and for how long? sub withdrawl can last for a month.
>>
>>9067464
also i wouldn't call bupe exactly powerful, moreso potent/ high binding affinity, as it is only a partial agonist
>>
>>9068311
oh and finally, lope has been noted to cause heart issues in VERY high doses (100mg+), so i'd slowly reduce from about 30mg each day by 4mg or so while reducung your bupe dosage rapidly , aka cut it in half every day or every other day, then switch to taking 0.5mg or less every other day.

good luck mate
>>
>>9065407
I don't know shit about the second place so I can't speak about it academically, but I'd pick Minnesota.

>Large research school
>Huge alumni network
>Big 10 schools are generally pretty fun socially (div 1 football, parties, greek life etc)
>I, anon, have personally heard of it
>>
Is there a scientific reason why orange looks extremely yellow (and pretty red) and purple looks kinda blue, but green doesn't really seem yellow or blue at all?
>>
File: nice cube.png (41KB, 124x147px) Image search: [Google]
nice cube.png
41KB, 124x147px
what the HECK kinda cube is pic related, i want one to play with and feel the holes with my finger
>>
>>9067712
Survivorship bias.
>>
File: VisibleLightSpectrum2.jpg (42KB, 1003x272px) Image search: [Google]
VisibleLightSpectrum2.jpg
42KB, 1003x272px
>>9068609
are you sure you just can't tell which shade green leans towards without a reference point?
>>
>>9065407
Im at RPI for grad school. Don't come here for undergrad, it's extremely research based. And it's expensive as fuck, i would never go here if i had to pay for tuition. Definitely consider it for grad school though, Troy is chill
>>
>>9065807
he's not wrong, but i feel explaining it in a bad way. When you dissolve NaCl in water, it dissolves. In the water, assuming it is neutral, there are equal amounts of hydronium ions as there are hydroxide ions. Some of the dissolved Na and Cl may interact with these hydronium and hydroxide ions, creating equal amounts of NaOh and HCl. So overall, the pH stays the same.
Also buffer solutions only work with weak acids or bases and their conjugates, which is why he told you use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) , it would create a slight buffer solution when dissolved.
But if someone is throwing acid on you to hurt you, a buffer wont really help, you need to neutralize that shit.
>>
File: 1500585771932.jpg (30KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
1500585771932.jpg
30KB, 500x371px
I can't wrapnmy head around logarithms. Can someone explain to me what they are and what they are used for? None of thr stuff inhave looked up is "clicking" in my head.
>>
>>9065505
No. Use bicarbonate soda if it's an acid or lemon juice/vinegar if it's a base. The acid base reaction will produce a salt.

Running water will always be preferable to a bath so consider hosing your friend off rather than submerging him.
>>
>>9065557
Because I'm a useless piece of shit.
>>
File: questions.jpg (48KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
questions.jpg
48KB, 1280x720px
1 or 9?
I'd say 9 but I'm not sure. I don't post on this board btw don't worry.
>>
>>9065557
in all honesty, because it exposes me to other fields im clueless in so i can stay current with what's happening at least. But also it's just curiosity, i like hearing about other fields in STEM, they are all useful in their own way. Except psychology of course.
>>
>>9068817
It is ambiguous and depends on the order of operation you learned.

At least where I live it is common to go from left to right with equal precedence for multiplication and division. That result would be 9.

There is also PEMDAS (multiplication before division), the result then would then be 1.

You see, no true answer exists, that is why almost all people who use math write fractions and use parenthesis to avoid ambiguities.
>>
>>9068903
Yeah, I also originally thought answer is 1 but then Google and /b/ changed my mind.
Thanks for clearification, man.
>>
File: benyamin.png (466KB, 412x593px) Image search: [Google]
benyamin.png
466KB, 412x593px
>>9062411
Trip A costs $100 but requires 10 hours of travel
Trip B costs $250 but requires 4 hours of travel

What is the correct way to evaluate the better scenario / are the 6 extra hours worth $150?
>>
>>9069022
How much do you value your time?
>>
I prepared a solution by diluting 5 mg of calf-thymus in 5 mL of solvent
I had been using this dna for some experiments, where I used a 1:10 dilution
I checked the absorbance at 260 and it's very close to 1, but I can't understand why as it supposedly should be 2 seeing as a I had 100 micrograms in a 1 mL volume
Where did I fuck up?
>>
File: Untitled.png (26KB, 671x171px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
26KB, 671x171px
How to prove the lemma in picture?
>>
>>9069022
How much do you earn at your job per hour? That's a decent way to ballpark the value of your time.
>>
>>9069369
Suppose not. Then y has a multiplicative inverse mod p.

-1 is not a square mod p if p is 3 mod 4.

If p divides x^2 + y^2 then [math] x^2 = -y^2 \pmod{4}[/math]. So [math] (x y^{-1})^2 = -1 [/math] mod 4.

contradiction
>>
>>9068817
the answer is 7
>>
Will practicing more complex maths ( think calc 3 and above) will have carry on skills on other aspects of my life? I'm thinking reasoning, structure, general problem solving, quantitative abilities in other fields such as finance or economics?
Also I'm nearing 30 if that may have an impact.
>>
>>9062411
Is DMT ligant of sigma type receptors?
>>
How come hair grows back after a brain biopsy but doesn't grow back after I hit my head somewhere? Isn't it "destroying" the hair cells in both cases?
>>
>>9069537
>Is DMT ligant of sigma type receptors?
literally google it.
>>
>>9069519
Well, calc 3 will definitely increase your 3D intuition by a fuckton so sure, do calc 3.

But higher level mathematics? I doubt it. The thing about math is that math never changes. To do differential equations you just need to know all the rules and in that regard there is no difference between solving differential equations and solving normal equations. You apply the same reasoning to the rules you have. You just learn diff eqs if you want to do them, if not then doing any math will satisfy your reasoning-training desires.

The only difference between elementary and non-elementary math is that in non-elementary math you have more rules to memorize. It is still the same reasoning. If you just want to get general knowledge from math just do elementary number theory, combinatorics or geometry as those are the certified everyman mathematics.
>>
>>9062411
How can something that cause apoptosis of tumor cells be illegal?
>>
I'm 35. What's the youngest my gf could be without it being weird?
>>
I am trying to dedicate 2 hours per subject a day.
It's soooooooooo difficult.
Following the pomodoro technique, I can only manage to do 5 hours work if I am lucky.

Then I hear of other people who spend more time on their work.
HOW do they do this?
Are they just trained from the beginning to grind so much a day?
I am no fan of drugs and I won't use them either.
>>
>>9069626
Just remember: Crystal meth is more effective than pomodoro and ritalin combined.
>>
>>9069626
What are the different subjects? What's limiting you to 5 hours, a job or something? I'm not a fan of Pomodoro because the shortness of the work sessions means I spend half the session warming up. Still, you have at least 10 hours in a day (once you take away sleep, washing, eating and other mundane tasks) so there's no way you should be getting only 5 hours of work done (unless you have a job and this is in your spare time).
>>
>>9069621
Take the natural log of your age and anything older than that is okay.
>>
I know this is kind of dumb but
what degree should I get if I want to program?
>>
>>9068712
1-2-3 Block
>>
>>9069642
The thing is, that I am trying to wakeup at 6am, take a run, get home and workout.
I emphasize the waking up at 6am, because it's hard to get back on track.
That said, my subjects are Mathematics(Linear algebra, calculus), molecular biology(genetics), organic chemistry.
I am also trying to code 2 hours a day.
I just feel lethargic in my head and my eyes become more and more heavy.
Maybe I do not have a better trained willpower than others, since it is finite.
I live at home with my parents.
For now I am also trying to apply to any nearby jobs I can find, because I want a steady income, not just a lot in a short time but miss assignments because of it.
>>
>>9069621
half your age (round down) +7. so 24
>>
>>9062411
Why does the science community apeak of radioactive materials in terms of half life? Why don't they simply use the term lifespan, or viable lifespan?
Been wondering this for years...
>>
>>9069745
>>9069745
It's good that you're exercising. How is your diet? How much sleep are you getting?
I'd recommend getting at least 8 hours of sleep (if you're not already), staying hydrated (I drink at least 2 litres of water a day, which might be overkill for my country's climate) and eating at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables. I also take multivitamins, vitamin D and fish oil.
When you say you won't do drugs, do you include caffeine? I know people who are constantly drinking coffee, but I just take a couple of caffeine tablets in the morning to get me up, and maybe a couple later on in the day if I'm really struggling to stay awake.
I remember beating myself up a lot because I felt I should be able to work 12 hours a day without any of this stuff, but it really boosted my morale to get my diet in check and establish a healthy sleeping pattern.
I don't know how long you've been going at it, but it took me a couple of weeks to get up to 10 hours a day, and then a couple of months before I could describe it as a habit. Before it was a habit, it took real effort to stick to the plan. Some days I would slack off, but I put it behind me and did my best with the time I had left.
You just have to do your best and I think eventually you'll get there.
>>
Why does an object have to reach a speed of 7 miles per second to escape Earth's gravitational pull? What if it has lesser than 7 miles per second?
>>
>>9069801
i had this question recently.
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-we-describe-elements-with-a-half-life-and-not-a-full-life
>>
File: 450-29445176-tear-duct.jpg (56KB, 450x331px) Image search: [Google]
450-29445176-tear-duct.jpg
56KB, 450x331px
Every time I hum, if I improvise the tune after a minute or so I begin weeping. I don't even have to be conscious about humming, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with emotions. No other symptoms of crying happen, only tears. The quality of the improvised tune doesn't seem to matter either, it's simply the improvisation itself that triggers it. If I switch to a familiar tune, the weeping ends instantly.

So what the fuck is happening here?
>>
Retard here:
Why do some people say our universe could have originated inside a black hole?
>>
>>9069966
Because in the age of popsci, unregulated online discussion and vixra, every retard and their mom can have a theory about the origin of the universe.
>>
>>9062411
Can we generate electricity from the kinetic energy of orbiting bodies like the moon?
>>
So expectation is the average weighted by likelihood.

Does this mean that the "normal" average is weighted by the number of elements? What is the actual meaning of "weighting" by.

When normalizing, it seems you can say that you weight by the sum of all the elements?

It never really occurred to me that expectation can be considered averaging (if it can), as I totally ignored the fact that you can distribute the "dividing by number of elements" across the elements, rather than summing first, thus ending up with the same sort of expression as during expectation (sum(x*p(x) for x in S))

I am not really sure what I am asking of if this is something you were just supposed to "get" that I never got, and it is being some sort of minor epiphany to me, or if I am completely grasping for straws that do not exist
>>
File: 1449008037360.jpg (33KB, 485x435px) Image search: [Google]
1449008037360.jpg
33KB, 485x435px
How do I calculate the stopping distance of a vehicle if I know its distance to target, its current forward speed and how quickly it can decelerate?

Brainlet working on a space ship game and my ships keep overshooting the target.
>>
>>9070043
d(t)=a(t^2)+vt
Solve.
>>
>>9070049
I don't want the time, I want the distance.
>>
>>9070054
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion#Kinematic_quantities

assuming constant acceleration
>>
>>9070054
Then plug in the time, dumbass.
If you want distance to 0 velocity, then set
0=v+at assuming negative accel and plug the time you get in.
If you couldn't extrapolate that from the previous equation you're shit out of luck.
>>
>>9069874
Makes sense. Thank you for the answer.
>>
>>9068311
Really? I have heard of people in my area dying/having heart attacks, allegedly because of this. I called bupe powerful because most non-addicted people I know can't even take .5mg without violently puking for at least three hours. Thanks for your answer.
>>
I've calculated the range of North Korea's missile launch from today to be about 6843 km, but this is for a flat surface. The news stations are reporting it to have a range of about 16000 km. Does the curvature of the earth have that much of an effect on it to make the range more than double or are they scare mongering?
>>
File: 1501252789548.jpg (13KB, 220x281px) Image search: [Google]
1501252789548.jpg
13KB, 220x281px
what is this thing?
>>
>>9070197
a hydra
>>
>>9070135
No clue on the maths, butt def scare mongering, there is no wway that even iuf it has theoretical rangge to hit 90% of the US, it simply wont have the reliability to get anywheres but west coast, aand assuming they aimed for NYC, chances are it would just take out some sand in nevada.
>>
>>9070202
>the Cnidarian hydra, where when the animal is severed in two (by actively cutting it with, for example, a surgical knife) the remaining severed sections form two fully functional and independent hydra.
That sounds amazing, would it be possible to genetically engineer humans to gain this trait?
>>
>>9070211
no. only the most basic animals on the evolutionary scale can do this.
>>
>>9070220
I guess that's related to the complexity of the organs inside the human body, isn't it?
>>
>>9070227
I don't know if i could pinpoint exactly why it's not possible, but basically because we have so many differentiated cells that by removing half of them, you would have to replace them, and the larger and larger and organism becomes, the harder and riskier from a survival standpoint this becomes. Have you taken any biology classes ever?
>>
File: 1461312235579.jpg (40KB, 390x478px) Image search: [Google]
1461312235579.jpg
40KB, 390x478px
>>9070235
>Have you taken any biology classes ever?
Only chemistry and PE in high school.
Still, we've got pairs of some organs, like lungs, although life would be harder removing half of them, it's possible to stay alive if care is paid to the body right? what if the human body were engineered to have a pair of all organs other than those that already have pairs? would it be possible then to use the genetic property from the hydra to make it so that the human body would be able to regenerate in the same manner?
>>
>>9070238
Ok i only ask because some of these questions would be easily answered if you had taken a basic biology class in highschool. Yes it's possible if care is paid to the body to survive without certain organs or limbs, but for a chopped finger to spontaneously revert back to a pluripotent stem cell stage is not possible. They can induce certain cell types to become those pluripotent stem cells by giving them a cocktail of transcription factors seen in embryonic development, but that's like insane wizardry.
it's not a genetic property of the hydra either, there is no "gene" that allows this. It's simply because it's a very evolutionary rudimentary animal, closer to single celled organisms than mammals, and has very few tissue types and extremely basic tissue organization (these were the animals that began having differentiated tissues, after all (well maybe not tissues, but cells))
>>
>>9070244
>They can induce certain cell types to become those pluripotent stem cells by giving them a cocktail of transcription factors seen in embryonic development, but that's like insane wizardry.
so with unlimited funds and no ethics in the way, it would be hard but doable?

>It's simply because it's a very evolutionary rudimentary animal, closer to single celled organisms than mammals
then I imagine the hydra is out of the scheme now.
>>
if i had an antenna the length of 500nm could i radiate visible light
>>
If the traveling salesman problem is already known to be P ≠ NP, doesn't this mean that the question is solved since there is a counter example of the statement?
>>
>>9070290
>then I imagine the hydra is out of the scheme now.
like no longer exist? no they do, they have their own niche, but those that faced selective pressure to evolve have already done so.
>so with unlimited funds and no ethics in the way, it would be hard but doable?
probably not with our level of knowledge/technology now, but i wouldnt deem it as "impossible". but really what you're talking about is just cloning yourself using an already differentiated cell which has been induced back into the single cell stage (zygote), which we cannot do right now. we can induce pluripotent stem cells, but not a cell to become a zygote
>>
>>9070317
just sent you 1 million dollars ;)
>>
>>9070326
>like no longer exist?
kek no I just mean that they're useless to this kind of research, if I got it right, since they're too different organisms.

>we can induce pluripotent stem cells, but not a cell to become a zygote
I heard a lot about stem cells in the past, but never about zygotes, I'll go read up some wiki.
>>
If the sun falls out of orbit and crashes into the earth, could going into a nuclear bunker really keep you alive until it is over?
>>
>>9062435

yeah 1 provides you with all constant functions.

span{1} = c for all constants 'c' in your field
>>
>>9070392
vectors aren't functions
>>
>>9070372
Which do you think has a negligible internal energy between the Sun and Earth?
>>
>>9070372
It has to be a bunker capable of withstanding nuclear fusion, not just nuclear fission (the latter has much lower yields).
If it has high levels of lead in the paint, it's good (lead resists nuclear radiation).
>>
File: pdf.png (150KB, 1076x783px) Image search: [Google]
pdf.png
150KB, 1076x783px
>>9070402
Is this just a very gentle/hand-wavy way of introducing probability density functions, not really mentioning the actual usage of them where you use inequalities and integrate?

Does the =x as it stands not really mean much to readers assuming this is all that was said about continuous stochastic variables?
>>
I forgot to erase the post ID I clicked to open the reply box >>9070459
>>
do men have more sisters than women?
>>
Can there be a non-trivial group homomorphism [math]\phi: \mathbb{Z} \rightarrow G[/math] where [math]G[/math] is some finite non-trivial group.
Since [math]\mathbb{Z}[/math] is generated by [math]1_{\mathbb{Z}}[/math] then [math]G[/math] is generated by [math]\phi(1)[/math]
Can [math]\phi(1)[/math] have finite order(so [math]G[/math] is finite)?
>>
>>9070739
>Can there be a non-trivial group homomorphism ϕ:Z→G where G is some finite non-trivial group.
consider G= Z/2Z and phi(1)=1

>Can Ï•(1) have finite order(so G is finite)?
it has have finite order since you assumed G was finite
>>
>>9062411
why arent magnets magic where do they get their pulling power from
>>
will college teachers care if a I bring a printed pirated textbook
>>
>>9070768
no
>>
>>9070135
I think I have it figured out now. They might be using the latitude length instead of the great circle length, for some stupid reason.
>>
Is it plausible for a type one diabetic, who still has a small amount of insulin production, to respond to going without once-per-day shots by not only having high blood sugar but occasionally tanking too? I'm trying to figure out why I visited the nice EMTs two damn days in a row.

I've got my regular meds now and I hope that's behind me. If it's possible to just become a fragile diabetic I'm going to be pissed.
>>
>>9062572
I am your inner thoughts. You must appease me.

Today, you must borrow a butcher coat and walk around the pharmacy offering patrons advice on curing diseases though consumption of water.
>>
>>9062572
Did they say what type you were? There's two variations of schizophrenia, only one is associated with hallucinations. The other is more like... shaking and turbulence.
>>
>>9071067
Sorry I misspoke, not actual shaking but it's metaphorical if your thoughts and self control is expressed as a joystick.
>>
>>9070317
Travelling salesman is a NP-hard problem.

IF you could find a polynomial-time algorithm for it, it would prove that P=NP.
>>
How does a retard learn math?
>>
File: 1500546021275.jpg (310KB, 900x1706px) Image search: [Google]
1500546021275.jpg
310KB, 900x1706px
Hello guys, I recently went to stay at a hotel with 3 friends, it was on a Sunday.
The room costs $60. We each put down $20 on the counter, but there was a $5 Sunday discount, so the guy at the desk put 5 $1 bills on the counter, we each took 1 and gave the remaining 2 as a tip to the guy.
When we got to the room we did the math.
We each paid $19 dollars + the $2 tip.
19 x 3 = 57 + 2 = 59.
Where is the last remaining dollar?
>>
>>9071123
In your ass.
Each of you paid 18 1/3 dollars for the room and 2/3 for the tip.
>>
File: (n+1)^3.png (44KB, 838x450px) Image search: [Google]
(n+1)^3.png
44KB, 838x450px
can anyone explain this distribution rule and how it's factored? where do these coefficients of 3 come from? I know this is suppose to be simple but i'm having a hard time figuring out what's going on here.
>>
>>9071098
Use this book >>9062826 , I'm learning it from it
>>
>>9071123
> I recently went to stay at a hotel with 3 friends, it was on a Sunday.
The room costs $60. We each put down $20 on the counter.
The way you word the question makes it seem that 4 people went and you paid $80
>>
>>9071190
Binomial expansion.
Coefficient 3s are from there being 3 ways to get a^2 b terms in the expansion.
(a+b)^3 = (a1+b)(a2+b)(a3+b)
a1a2b+a1a3b+a2a3b + other terms
=3a^2b+... when a1=a2=a3

how do I [math]?
>>
brainlet math question here:
is it possible for it to be discovered that there is some inconsistency/contradiction in math which will mean that some of the axioms contradict each other?
what will mathematicians do?
can they maybe not use the axiom that leads to the contradiction?
is this scenario even possible?
>>
>>9071190
literally multiply it out and see for yourself
>>
were big tits selected for any practical reason other than to induce boners? did prehistoric humans have big tits or is it different now because of differences in diet, water supply, birth control pills and such?
>>
File: hakase_sakamoto_kek.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
hakase_sakamoto_kek.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>>9070372
>If the sun falls out of orbit and crashes into the earth
HOLY SHIT MY SIDES HAVE BEEN OBLITERATED!
>>
>>9070639
Yes.
>>
>>9070639
no
>>
File: 20170729_175144.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170729_175144.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
What was the process from the 2nd last line to the last line? The t^2 turned into t^3 and the radical also changed
>>
File: Capture.png (2KB, 252x61px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2KB, 252x61px
>>9071704
pic rel when t >= 0
>>
I am very paranoid. What can I do to be sure that no ones steals my ideas and work? I mean, beside not talking with people.
>>
>>9071825
get a patent?
>>
>>9071836
No.
>>
>>9071838
why not...?
>>
>>9071844
Because he's a paranoid schizophrenic. The people who are out to steal his ideas are the ones working at the patents office.
>>
>>9071402
thanks guy
>>
>>9071825
Only faggots and engineers patent their work.

All you have to do is publish your work. It won't and shouldn't stop others from using it, but you'll be the primary source
>>
https://math.stackexchange.com/a/66731

is this greentext not the same as (4) in the linked answer?
>acos(dot(normalize(cross(C, A)), normalize(cross(B, A))))

is (4) the same as (3)?
>>
>>9072022
nvm
>>
>>9072022
wait i'm still struggling with this

isn't this equivalent to (4) in the stackexchange answer

>acos(dot(normalize(cross(C, A)), normalize(cross(B, A))))

is the stackexchange answer correct?
>>
for fuck's sake the one simple explanation i could find and it's wrong
>>
Is math related to science?
>>
>>9072060
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWYdkQbuStw
>>
(3) is incorrect too, this is absurd
>>
why is he normalizing a dot product minus a dot product, how did this joker get 231k rep and 9 upvotes on this garbage answer
>>
mathematica can't seem to simplify it at all, what a joke
>>
what is spectrum?like spec(z)
>>
apparently something that sounds as straightforward as finding the area of a polygon mapped on to a sphere is fucking rocket science

https://trs.jpl.nasa.gov/bitstream/handle/2014/40409/JPL%20Pub%2007-3%20%20w%20Errata.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y
>>
File: math1a.png (21KB, 1340x94px) Image search: [Google]
math1a.png
21KB, 1340x94px
What level of calculus is this considered in the us?
>>
File: algebra.png (41KB, 794x281px) Image search: [Google]
algebra.png
41KB, 794x281px
Do these proofs make sense? The second one leaves me feeling I wrote something retarded but I don't see anything wrong
>>
>>9073225
Calc 1, plus a very tiny amount of linear algebra
>>
Can the mentos and coke deal still work if the mentos are melted down?
>>
the plane object bounded by the x axis and the curve y=4-x^2 and density p(x)=x^2

Find (a) the mass (b) the moments about the x and y axes (c) the centre of mass of the given object.

How do i answer this?
>>
>>9062442
>When human stands submerged in a water, why water doesn't enter his anus and goes up all the digestive system?
And what about girls genitals in this case it may be another way for water to get in?
>>
In some way math is abstracted physics
>>
>>9073726
if the universe is made of discrete unique bits, yeah.
>>
>>9073512
How did you get g^p = g? Seems like an invalid step.
>>
>>9073702
(a) Find where the curve intersects the x axis and integrate p(x) from the first intersection to the latter. (b) (c) Apply the formula brainlet.
>>
>>9073793
That's what I did for (a) but I'm not getting the right answer. The answer is supposed to be 128/15
>>
>>9073793
Disregard >>9073810
I worked it out. Thanks for help
>>
>>9073781
>Seems like an invalid step
ofc, it's exactly (q-1) plus the supposed N so ofc it means nothing that it's equal to g^(q-1). Thanks, can't believe I was staring at that shit for so long and didn't notice and now that's so obvious that it's BS.
>>
In the double slit experiment, where when a photon is observed it behaves as a particle, how exactly is the photon monitored?
>>
>>9070023
>dedicate entire planet's resources to turning moon into giant generator
>it works perfectly, massive amount of free energy for everybody, moon now powers all human civilization
>power usage saps kinetic energy from moon, slowing it down
>moon gradually starts to fall from orbit, since it's going slower but feels the same gravitational attraction
>scientists announce that it will soon crash into earth and destroy the world as we know it in a cataclysm that will make the chicxulub impact look like a light rain
>anon goes on /sci/ and asks "Can we generate electricity from the kinetic energy of the moon hitting the earth?"
way to fucking go anon
>>
>>9071190
[eqn]
(n + 1)^3 \\
(n + 1)(n + 1)^2 \\
(n + 1)(n^2 + 2n + 1) \\
n(n^2 + 2n + 1) + 1(n^2 + 2n + 1) \\
n^3 + 2n^2 + n + n^2 +2n + 1 \\
n^3 + 3n^2 + 3n + 1
[/eqn]
Replace [math]n[/math] and [math]1[/math] with [math]a[/math] and [math]b[/math] to see where the general distribution rule they're using comes from. The binomial theorem is just what you get when you generalize that to exponent [math]m > 3[/math].

If you don't understand the third line, use distribution and [math](n + 1)^2 = (n + 1)(n + 1)[/math] to see the version for squaring. If that still doesn't make sense you need to go back and review distribution and/or exponents HARD.
>>
>>9071421
This already happened
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%27s_incompleteness_theorems
>>
>>9073948
Ah yes, the infamous G%C3%B6del - love that guy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel's_incompleteness_theorems (inb4 "autism")
>>
Could you generate energy if you placed a space station further enough away that it wouldn't fall into a black hole but had tendrils or "arms" coming off it that could spin and turn a generator at the end?

Would you have to have the arms be lost to the black hole? or could they be placed into a position where they weren't pulled in but were pulled around to generate electricity?

What about a generating polymer that be the arms so they would constantly be created as the end of the tendrils was lost?
>>
File: Pepe_Confused.png (22KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe_Confused.png
22KB, 612x491px
How does electricity power our devices? Like computers for example. no bully pls
>>
File: 21ajzo3.jpg (122KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
21ajzo3.jpg
122KB, 500x500px
Are there any proposed solutions of the fine tuned universe problem that doesnt involve god, multiverse, or computer program?
>>
File: 12701121348.jpg (20KB, 436x446px) Image search: [Google]
12701121348.jpg
20KB, 436x446px
>>9073985
The idea sounds interesting, having a black hole power a simple generator by forever pulling on a rope attached to it.

But for how simple the idea sounds like it would be too complicated to set up, not sure what kind of exotic rope would not break from the force of a black hole.

Another power source would be much easier and safer to use.
>>
>>9073994
Try and imagine electricity as vibrations, small but powerful.
Power plant generators make these vibrations using magnets and send them out by powerlines.

Connected devices absorb these vibrations from the net.
>>
>>9073985
Either your rope would break of it would end up falling faster and faster pulled by the rope downward, but effects on time could make it different since time is frozen near event horizon
>>
>>9074001
anthropic principle
>>
>>9074011
whats your opinion anon, do we live in a multiverse
>>
>>9074009
So what exactly do these vibrations do that allow my computer parts to work?
>>
>>9074025
The electricity "vibrates the components hot" if that doesn't sound too weird.
The smallest components basically just needs to be heated up to be able to turn on and off really fast and run the program.
>>
>>9074033
Is it just heat tho? If I put my computer near a fire, will the heat make it start to work?
>>
>>9062549
I'm not a /sci/ guy, but this is clearly wrong.
If I hold a magnet, near piece of metal, the metal moves. the magnet has created force, which overcame friction.
> don't answer questions you don't know the answer too.
>>
>>9065529
Underrated kek
>>
>>9074001
>fine tuned universe
imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact, it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be all right, because this World was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.
>>
>>9071825
>>9071836
> Get a patent.
Let a jew steal your idea and profit from your work?
> Don't be silly Anon, you can always take them to court.
Jews make up less than 2% of the US population, and hold almost half supreme court seats, moreso in politics, media, and lower tier judges.

I wouldn't get a patent, if its REALLY world changing.

Just look at facebook, the guy flat out stole it from the nerd at college who actually made it.
>>
>>9074101
cringe
>>
>>9071421
>is it possible for it to be discovered that there is some inconsistency/contradiction in math which will mean that some of the axioms contradict each other?
yes, it's possible
>>
>>9073948
But that's not the question which was asked.

Predicate calculus is provably sound (anything which can be proven is true); a consequence of that is that you can't prove a contradiction (i.e. you can't prove both a sentence and its negation).

Gödel's theorem "proves" (informally) that predicate calculus is incomplete ("complete" means that anything which is true can be proven). It does this by constructing a paradox: a sentence G whose interpretation is essentially "there does not exist a proof of G".

This means that predicate calculus must be either unsound or incomplete. G can either be true or it can have a proof, but not both. As predicate calculus is known to be sound, it must be incomplete.
>>
>>9074038
AAAAA FUCK OFF PSEUD NIGGER FAGGIT.
>>
A spring exerts a force of 4x lbs when compressed a distance x. How much work is needed to compress the spring 5 ft from its natural length. How do I answer this?
>>
>>9074025
Forget vibrations and consider it a flow of liquid in tubes, even if this flow change on a sine wave, the only difference at this point between AC and DC is that there's no polarity in DC. This flow don't leak and accumulate nowhere.
Voltage is like pressure and intensity like flow rate. Voltage is kept constant and intensity change with consumption.
Voltage can be lowered and exchanged with intensity by transformers, or by switching supply the electronic and frequency boosted transformer in this little fan cooled box in your desktop computer. Some voltage are used for zero and one on the motherboard others for something like hard drive engines
>>
>>9074190
It lacks something to answer either the free length of the spring, the length with no force or the coefficient of stiffness of this spring. After it's a linear equation and an integral of the varying force relatively to the position. it's also certainly far easier to think in metric SI units, you don't make errors with unit's coefficients
>>
>>9074113
Godel theorem is indirectly about axioms sets. A mathematical theory based on too few axioms may be incomplete, with undecidable cases neither true or false, but a one with too much is easily unsound. Apparently there is an axiom of choice which is potentially problematic
>>
>>9074249
Or maybe you are supposed to leave it as an equation for x brainlet.
>>
>>9074249
Dude, you know the spring constant with that. Ar u retard?
>>
>>9062411
When will US stop being a colony of Russia?
>>
>>9074291
They didn't give x's unit, maybe whe have to suppose it's feets in this case it's just the integral of x so 1/2x^2 which gives 50 with x=5 but it's strange to have to guess units
>>
True or false: It is impossible to have below a 2.0 grade point average if one never gets grades below a C.
>>
If I were to attach a very strong laser pointer to something that spins very fast would it create a massive visible disk?
>>
>>9074360
If you had all Cs, that's a 2.0
>>
>>9074397
...Yes. My question - if there was a person that had a 2.0 overall GPA, and in the current semester ended up with a 2.0, the overall GPA would not be affected correct?
>>
>>9074404
it's a scaled average... so no
>>
File: 1451137894618.jpg (315KB, 800x824px) Image search: [Google]
1451137894618.jpg
315KB, 800x824px
Why do people actually believe there are scientifically hundreds of genders?
>>
>>9074449
if people A - want to believe something and B - have people to tell them that it's true, they're capable of believing just about anything
it helps if it's something simple though, if it takes a long story to explain, like scientology for example, no one will take to it
it also helps if it gives people a sense of belonging, something to tie their identity to
>>
>female biology keeps bringing human height AT EVERY TINY FUCKING OPPORTUNITY (At least once per 3 minutes through a one and a half hour lecture) and injecting political opinions and giving anecdotes from her younger dating life
Should I drop the unit? Its the first day. It seems like its going to be a shit show but almost all of my units for my degree have this unit as a prereq
>>
>>9074888
Female biology lecturer keeps bringing up human height**
>>
And now shes claiming that theres a good chance that donald trump will "declare nuclear war"
REEEEEEE
HILLARY LITERALLY WANTED WAR WITH IRAN YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Is there more examples of the following:

"The helix transform was vital to rosalind franklin's x-ray crystallography which was vital to finding the 3d structure of DNA"
>>
I just want to verify I understand something:
This is based on what I read in a book on Artificial Intelligence

>Non deterministic means that a set of steps are set but the outcome depends on the feedback from the input from an environment

>Schotastic means that an event is random, meaning that even if it can be statistically analyzed, there is no way to determine exactly when said even will happen
>>
>>9074888
fuck that insane jewish brainwashing shit

if it's your first day of school in total i'd say drop out altogether but if you're already 1+ years into it maybe talk with other students and file a complaint or film it and post it online
>>
>>9074898
Whatever, Boris.
This is why nobody likes Russians.
They come in here and ruin 4chan for everybody.
>>
>>9074892
anti manlet bigotry?
>>
Say that I have a branch, represented as a single segment, sticking out from a wall.
How do I calculate the bend of that branch?
Since the branch is a single segment, I only need to calculate the angle between the branch and the wall.

The thing I find difficult is that the force required to bend further increases as the branch bends, but the leverage decreases as it bends, and I don't know how to figure out where it balances out.
>>
>>9075442
Alright, I realised that I can solve it with algebra.

Resistance force = tilt*strength
Bending force = cos(tilt)*weight*length/2

tilt*strength = cos(tilt)*weight*length/2
tilt/cos(tilt) = weight*length/2 /strength

Unfortunately, I suck at algebra, so I don't know how to simplify it further.
Weight, length, and strength are knowns, so the right hand side can be reduced to a single number. I have no idea how to deal with tilt/cos(tilt) though.
>>
>>9062411
How do I finance my postgraduate studies if I'm dirt poor? My country's government doesn't provide loan for that.
>>
How can I live a meaningful life?
>>
What do I have to do to develop an intuitive understanding of circuit analysis? I've taken one course on it. (KVL/KCL, nodal analysis, mesh currents, Thevenin-Norton, etc...)

It just seems very robotic. I have no understanding of how they were derived and hardly any insight into what's happening physically, much less on the microscopic scale.

I guess I want to know where do I start? As in, recommend me readibg material.

Or will future undergrad courses eventually cover this?
>>
If you run a current through a can of soda, what happens?
>>
>>9069810
Think in terms of potential energy. To escape the earth's gravity, the potential energy of gravity has to equal the potential kinetic energy.

Try to figure out the forces present, and then integrate them from 0 to an arbitrary height h and you should be able to derive the escape velocity.
>>
STUPID QUESTION ALERT

Earnings this year = -66
Earnings 5 years ago = +102

How do I calculate the average earning growth (aka loss) per year? A quick calc shows that they would be growth rate would be roughly -107% per year, no?

>>
>>9071704
He removed t^2 and then squared it
>>
>>9062431
Alignment of the charged particles.
That's why magnets lose their charge over time.

Note how you charge an object by reorienting its charge, either with current, or by rubbing a magnet on it or something. This aligns the charged particles in a polar fashion.

Every time the magnet interacts with an outside force, or exerts its own, some particles reorient to some degree.

Consider your muscles.
They're made of thousands or millions of fibers, right? Each one contracts on a microscopic scale to produce the macro forces needed to lift your entire arm, or a backpack, or a dumbbell.
Same with magnets. Every charged element must deflect a little bit to contribute to the greater force. Eventually this will unalign the magnet's particles and weaken its polarization.

I've also been told that muon exchange is in play and somehow is responsible for this motion, but I've not gone that deep into physics yet.
>>
File: windowsxp.jpg (226KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
windowsxp.jpg
226KB, 1920x1080px
Which computer sciences classes are good for a cs major?

Currently taking differential equations/computing theory, will eventually take real analysis in a quarter, but I'm talking in terms of:

Compilers, Computer Vision, Computer Graphics, Cryptography, Operating Systems, etc.
>>
I'm starting my first semester at Cal in a few weeks. Considering taking Honors math 54, but I've heard it is incredibly proof-heavy, while I have absolutely no experience writing my own proofs. Would it be feasible to learn proofs well enough to succeed in the class, or should I stick to basic math 54?
>>
>>9063076
not an argument

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magpot.html
>>
>>9077392
I haven't taken all classes you listed but from my own experience and hearsay I think that Compilers, Computer Graphics and Operating systems are solid choices. Computer vision and Cryptography are more specialized and might not be very useful to you in the future.

Depending on how Computer Graphics is organized at your university it might be *too* focused on 3D graphics (=linear algebra or APIs) and less on Computational Geometry or Data-structures. Iff the computer graphics course includes elements of Computational Geometry or Data-structures you should take it :)
>>
I evaluated [math]\int_\Gamma \cot(z)dz[/math] this way [eqn]\int_\Gamma \cot(z)dz = \int_\Gamma \frac{\cos(z)}{\sin(z)}dz = 2\pi i (N_0(\Gamma) - N_\infty (\Gamma)) = 2\pi i[/eqn] where [math]\Gamma[/math] is the standard CCW parametrization of the unit circle, [math]N_0(\Gamma)[/math] is the number of zeroes of [math]\sin(z)[/math] inside [math]\Gamma[/math] and [math]N_\infty(\Gamma)[/math] is the number of poles of [math]\sin(z)[/math] inside [math]\Gamma[/math]. The solutions manual states that the integral is equal to unity, but as I showed above I got [math]2\pi i[/math]. Did I do something silly or is the solutions manual wrong?
>>
>>9074367
It would be visible only with smoke, dust or something to disperse light in atmosphere, laser beams being invisible otherwise. Its just persistence of vision which would make the beam appear as a surface. If your laser is not perpendicular to the axis it would be some sort of cone, a plane if perpendicular
>>
>>9074449
There are tho main genetic gender, xy and for humans and mamals and some combinations in between. Birds have a similar genetic gender. But reptiles and fishes for example doesn't have that, some reptiles sex depends on hatching conditions and some fishes can change sex. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequential_hermaphroditism?wprov=sfla1
In this case gender comes from hormones and it may be the case for humans too, some mixed hormone levels gives intersex people, developing in between male and female.
That's for biology with already plenty of special cases.
There's also transgender peoples and others where it may be psychological while the person is biologically cis and consider herself as another gender or in between
It may not be truly 200 but more than 3
>>
>>9075795
Far from a stupid question, not really the place to ask. People have tried to answer it from all the time with different results. It's a big part of philosophy. It's not that there are no answers, it's that there are far too much answers, many being valid many not
>>
Check/help with a proof please.
I want to show that for odd prime integers [math]p\ne q[/math] group [math](\mathbb{Z}/pq\mathbb{Z})^*[/math] isn't cyclic
My solution:
Since [math]q, p[/math] are coprime [math](\mathbb{Z}/pq\mathbb{Z}) \cong (\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}) \times (\mathbb{Z}/q\mathbb{Z})[/math]
Then [math](\mathbb{Z}/pq\mathbb{Z})^* \cong (\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z})^* \times (\mathbb{Z}/q\mathbb{Z})^*[/math]
[math]C_{p-1} \cong (\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z})^*[/math] and [math]C_{q-1} \cong (\mathbb{Z}/q\mathbb{Z})^*[/math] as cyclic groups of same order
Thus, [math](\mathbb{Z}/pq\mathbb{Z})^* \cong (C_{p-1}) \times (C_{q-1})[/math]
Since both [math]p-1[/math] and [math]q-1[/math] are even [math](C_{p-1}) \times (C_{q-1})[/math] isn't cyclic.
Hence, [math](\mathbb{Z}/pq\mathbb{Z})^*[/math] isn't cyclic.
The proof relies heavily on fact that [math](\mathbb{Z}/pq\mathbb{Z}) \cong (\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}) \times (\mathbb{Z}/q\mathbb{Z}) \implies (\mathbb{Z}/pq\mathbb{Z})^* \cong (\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z})^* \times (\mathbb{Z}/q\mathbb{Z})^*[/math]
But I don't really know how to show it.
So, prove this to me/ link a proof and check if the rest of proof is correct.
Thanks
>>
>>9073869

a photomultiplier
>>
>>9062411
what would be a good topic for a basic genetics presentation (entry level genetics) that should be 5-7 minutes, powerpoint, minimal text? Any help appreciated
>>
How does vector normalization work?
I thought it resulted in a vector whose components added up to 1, but (3, 1, 2) normalized = 1.603 in magnitude.
Does it not produce a unit vector or am I thinking of unit vectors wrong?
>>
Hey guys.
>Be at community college.
>Want to be engineer someday.
>Sign up for class on "Computer Programming Logic and Design."
>Have no prior programming experience.
>School says they recommend taking this class before or alongside a class on Python.
>I can't take both this semester, so I just sign up for the Programming Logic & Design course.
> The book looks O.K.
Did I fuck up?
I ask you guys because the advisers at school are dumb psychology/english majors who don't know anything.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.