[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could religion be a Great Filter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: iu[1].jpg (98KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
98KB, 1600x900px
Not the abandoment thereof, but the invention itself.
Intelligent life forms that start off and stay hard materialist would likely remain hedonist/nihilist as civilizations and forego the long-term planning and development required to attain a spacefaring status.
>>
yes, sociopaths are gamblers, they are as callous towards their future selves as they are to others

we need a measure of irrationality, be it morals or something else
>>
File: lmao2.png (503KB, 601x420px) Image search: [Google]
lmao2.png
503KB, 601x420px
>>9060245
>religion is responsible for technological advancement

>>9060259
>morals wouldn't exist without god

lmfao back to /pol with you both
>>
>>9060245
Do you not realise that materialism is not mutually exclusive with belief in a purpose to life? Religion is no less selfish than materialism, it too hinges on some sort of personal reward/punishment system; only in religion you also get the annoying belief that you have the moral high ground. Anyway, as a materialist: Obviously life exists to reproduce itself. Any life that does not exist to reproduce itself will stop existing shortly after it begins existing, as it will automatically be outcompeted by other forms of life that actually bother to reproduce. Space travel is conducive to long term survival and reproduction. Therefore space travel is desirable to me, a materialist. QED
>>
>>9060275
>Religion actually is responsible for technological advancement though.

You'd be ludicrous to think sciences progressed completely independent of religion or religious thinkers. I didn't assert any particular religion is responsible, just religion as a concept.

>>9060281
I didn't say they were exclusive, but a hard materialist also has no reason to plan any longer than its own lifespan; species survival is irrelevant considering your own exclusion millennia prior to spacefaring status.
>>
>>9060245
The great filter is that we are smart enough to change our environment, but not long term thinking enough to not destroy it.
>>
>>9060326
>I did not say they were exclusive, but they're exclusive
Did you read my post? I explained exactly why a smart materialist of any hardness who is conscious of the fact that he is a form of life would favour space travel. You completely ignored that and went straight to the (extremely tired and overused) "lol all materialists must be senseless hedonists who only think of themselves!11!!" shtick.
>>
Could sucking cocks be the great filter? Not the abandoment thereof, but the invention itself.
Intelligent life forms that start off and stay rock hard would likely remain sexually frustrated as civilizations and forego the long-term planning and development required to attain a spacefaring status.
>>
>>9060245
Worms are mindless.
Lizards hiss, bite and sleep.
Monkeys screech a few sounds, use basic tools, are a bit superstitious.
Humans have language, engineering and religion.
Religion is like any other field of thought. A species that made it to spacefaring engineer level without also developing sophisticated theology is developmentally unbalanced and not using half its potential.
>>9060281
>naturalistic fallacy
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.