[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is all high volume made equally? [Sound Systems / Audio related]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

File: is-funktion-one-official.jpg (67KB, 952x536px) Image search: [Google]
is-funktion-one-official.jpg
67KB, 952x536px
I've noticed two types of sound systems that you can come across at a club, rave or live show environment - the second being much more pleasing to experience but at the same time less common.

1) Normie System

> Loud volume levels
> Sound can feel unbalanced i.e. very full bass / too much high end
> Variably tactile experience of sound i.e. feeling bass in body etc
> Commonly experience ear fatigue after some period of time (have to take occasional breaks from music floor etc)
> Difficult to hear and talk to people
> Can't stand near speakers for very long at all
> ^ doing so can quite easily lead to temporary tinnitus for next day or so

2) "Make Me Horny" System

> Volume seems overall like it has the same loudness capability as a Normie System
> More balanced sound - can hear a full range of frequencies and pick out individual instruments / tracks quite easily. Feels like the music can breathe more
> Consistant and enjoyable tactile experience of sound i.e. feeling bass through body; possibly even feeling air movement from speakers etc
> No ear fatigue whatsoever
> Can hear and converse with people perfectly
> ^ This is true even when I'm close to the speakers, which doesn't seem to put the same excessive pressure on my ears
> Tinnitus is not something I have to worry about

If I remember correctly, one of the rigs that falls into the latter category that I did managed to identify is the widely praised Funktion One system..

What's going on here /sci/? It interests me because it kind of breaks everyday wisdom (mostly imparted us by worried parents / aunts / deaf grannies) that louder music is going to kill our ears or give us STDs or something equally as terrible. I'm not denying that volume levels are something that should be taken seriously, but I guess I kind of want to know what the story behind the story is, if you get what i mean? A bit like how all calories aren't made equally and things of that nature.
>>
>>
One is designed to move air in a small space, the other is designed to throw sound away from it.

Volume capability is also way higher on most PA systems you see in clubs and concerts, they hook as many 1000-2000 watt amplifiers up to those bad boys as they need to for the distance they need to throw that sound.
>>
most likely different RMS of the signal. Relative loudness and frequency response curves of the system
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.