[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why people fall for pseudoscience and how /sci/ can fight back?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: sun-signs.jpg (180KB, 1000x703px) Image search: [Google]
sun-signs.jpg
180KB, 1000x703px
>>
>>9056790
A genocide of brainlets.
>>
>>9056790
no different to Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (not even using the proper test anyway) that's been all over 4chan lately.
>>
> tfw too deep and meaningful for /sci

pruned!
>>
>>9056790
no different to IQ tests (not even using the proper test anyway) that's been all over 4chan lately.
>>
>>9056793
I think pseudoscience is marginally better than mysticism.
>>
File: mod.jpg (17KB, 190x286px) Image search: [Google]
mod.jpg
17KB, 190x286px
>>
>>9056793
>no different to Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
MBTI is descriptive. Horoscopes are predictive. They're completely different.
>>
>>9056793
>no different
Lol. You are retarded. I'm sceptic when it comes to Myers-Briggs but you are retarded if you think there is no difference.
>>
File: Barnum effect.jpg (74KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
Barnum effect.jpg
74KB, 500x364px
>>9056872

What is Barnum effect, baby don't hurt me
>>
>>9056953
>Barnum effect
What does that have to do with the MBTI?
Again, Myers-Briggs types are DESCRIPTIVE, all they do is pick four traits, and break the space they make into 16 groups.
>>
>>9056963

>What does that have to do with the MBTI?

Every type comes with a overly-positive and vague description of the combination of functions. Based on this theory, i shoud be an INTJ, INTP, ENTP, ISTP, INFP and ISTP. And not because i say so. I scored these and guess what: all the description of these types fits in one way or another with my personality!

How's that not barnum effect?

Also: pollyannaism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollyanna_principle
>>
>>9056790
Probably because they were born Cancer under a waning moon
>>
File: 000Cognitivebiases6lpY8rS.png (327KB, 1200x2247px) Image search: [Google]
000Cognitivebiases6lpY8rS.png
327KB, 1200x2247px
Education and power
>>
https://youtu.be/Q5pggDCnt5M
/sci/ btfo
>>
>>9058075
Why does nobody understand the history of knowledge that the Earth is round? Present-day trolling aside, that knowledge seems to have been accepted remarkably easily.
>>
>>9056790
>pseudoscience
Some pseudos are more scientific than others so really it depends what you're talking about.
I seriously looked into astrology once because I figured whether you were born in winter or summer would have a significant effect on early nurturing and psychological development.
>>
File: 1500506187260.jpg (47KB, 720x439px) Image search: [Google]
1500506187260.jpg
47KB, 720x439px
>>9058437
>Some pseudos are more scientific than others
>>
>>9056794
stay delusional brainlet
>>
>>9056953
What's the personality for eating the creme and throwing the wafers away?
>>
>>9058681
A retard
>>
File: angrist and krueger.jpg (32KB, 557x365px) Image search: [Google]
angrist and krueger.jpg
32KB, 557x365px
>>9058437
>I figured whether you were born in winter or summer would have a significant effect on early nurturing and psychological development.
Or maybe because the standardized school year leads to kids starting their formal education with up to a year's difference in development.
>>
>>9059378
>born in 1st quarter
absolutely JUST fuck my shit up
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.