[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Presentism and Relativity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: smugface.jpg (49KB, 479x435px) Image search: [Google]
smugface.jpg
49KB, 479x435px
Do you seriously believe that the past is stuck into a frozen trail as time passes, /sci/? And worse yet, do some of you actually believe the future is pre-determinated?

I really doubt that the theory of relativity really is incompatible with presentism. It just doesn't make sense that time should be a continuous trail constantly building up like a fucking sci-fi movie. Do you seriously believe that every event that has ever occured in history is still existing somewhere in the frozen trail of time?

There's no necessity for time to be recording itself. I bet we would get some interesting results if someone, anyone, tried to interpret relativity this way.
>>
The universe is just an eternal four-dimensional picture, which brains, due to universal limits of computation, interpret as a continuous stream of three-dimensional cross-sections.
>>
>>9054743
More like you guys just let your imagination fly too high.
>>
>>9054736
>Do you seriously believe that every event that has ever occured in history is still existing somewhere in the frozen trail of time?

what are you talking about? what does that have to do with relativity or a sci-fi movie?
>>
>>9054747
Presentism is just way of labeling the thought that the past and the future don't exist in reality and all that exists is the present. This, in my view, is the most logical and pratical way of interpreting time.

Most people interpret relativity's time as a trail that goes on and on. So you'd expect to be able to interact with your past selves in the frozen past (see time-traveling particles such as tachyons) and other time-traveling bullshit.

I just thought /sci/would have something to say about this.
>>
File: 1500650289107.jpg (65KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1500650289107.jpg
65KB, 600x450px
>>9054736
>time recording itself
Nigga if you understand what causation is then you certainly expect a unique relation between effect and cause, thus future-past, present-past, present-future. The Universe is not like you forgezzi-forgetty brain, and relativity is not even mainstream science anymore. You are getting confused because you are not treating things as information, you are not thinking outside the computer processing each bit in succession of the last so you are basically trying to express that "you don't see no past here, no, no sir, ain't no past no more!"
>>
>>9054760
>Most people interpret relativity's time as a trail that goes on and on.
I dunno what you mean by this but i dont really think so? Things are always progressing, that doesnt mean the past is frozen into a trail.

This link should explain some things
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/32166/according-to-general-relativity-does-the-past-exist
>>
>>9054771
Explain it better then. At least my vision doesn't lead to time-traveling bullshit.
>>
>>9054779
Hey, the only thing that can happen is backwards causation, not really time travel.
>>
>>9054743
FPBP

>>9054736
I think some branches of relativity require eternalism, Anon. Don't get me wrong, for the purposes of the human mind, it doesn't fucking matter because we don't perceive in four dimensions.
>>
>>9054777
That was really interesting, Anon. Though I'd wish it had something about combining Relativity with Presentism.
>>
File: op.jpg (61KB, 685x474px) Image search: [Google]
op.jpg
61KB, 685x474px
Yes. Yes, I do.
>>
>>9054743
where is a place for causality in that picture?
that 4th dimension sure loves order asymmetry
>>
>>9055273
Brainlet faggot.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.