[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a math degree more useful for a CS related career than a CS degree?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1449597433075.png (274KB, 700x591px) Image search: [Google]
1449597433075.png
274KB, 700x591px
Is a math degree more useful for a CS related career than a CS degree?
>>
neither degrees will teach you how to do a real job. The CS guy will be better prepared than the math guy, but both can succeed/fail based on their skillset.
>>
>>9054058
>is a math degree more useful than an applied math degree
>>
>>9054058
Generally speaking, CS degrees are easier than math degrees. This means that
> you learn less in a CS degree than a math degree
> you meet more people taking CS than math, increasing your networking opportunities

Given that any one who is [math]capable[/math] of doing a math degree is equally capable of reading math textbooks and learning the content in their own time via self-study, I'd go with CS if your goal is to get a good job as opposed to going into academia.

But be prepared to spend more time talking about math/CS with your profs than your fellow students.
>>
>>9054108
I want to get a Msc in Machine learning and a PHD in AI.
>>
>>9054124
Why not get a degree in stats then?
You'll continue to be employable outside of academia even if Tech Bubble v2.0 bursts before you complete your PhD.
>>
>>9054133
I was thinking of getting a math degree with a minor in CS should I switch to a stats degree with a minor in CS?
>>
I dunno but someone tell me the answer to this.

"It's the area bounded above by x cubed, below by the x axis, and on the right by the line x=2"
>>
>>9054134
Disclaimer: I majored in stats before hopping on to the big data gravy train, so I can't promise to be unbiased and you should definitely seek second opinions.

Stats is an inherently applied branch of math, and getting practical experience "experimenting" with data has never been easier. If you can take machine learning courses with projectwork component (or better yet, an actual project/thesis module) you'll pick up all the useful bits of CS that employers desire with none of the impractical fluff, since you're directly learning what you need to solve real-world problems (and sharing experiences with your tutors/supervisors).
So CS would be unnecessary if you're already doing stats with a strong applied component. For the sort of work that you seem to be envisioning, demonstrable experience working on a project trumps a CS degree, which (in my experience) seems to be used only as a proxy for the former.

I don't know what your university is like, but you could consider doing math major + stats minor (or the other way around), this would give you a good founding for the theoretical aspects of stats (measure theory, stochastic processes etc.) that will come in handy if you decide to progress beyond the undergraduate level.
>>
File: kernel-bayes-rule-8-638.jpg (50KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
kernel-bayes-rule-8-638.jpg
50KB, 638x479px
>>9054149
>measure theory, stochastic processes etc.
And linear algebra of course (it's not that necessary in my line of work, but for machine learning it's crucial).
The rigorous version, that is, not the one where you simply follow procedures to add/multiply tables of numbers.
>>
>>9054149
Whats your pay like?
>>
CS: you can use computers to model the universe alright with the right training, skill and talent.

Any other STEM field: you can model the universe alright with the right training, skill and talent. Computers are sometimes optional.
>>
>>9054160
I'm not American or even European though, in fact I'm a third-world untermensch who stopped at a bachelor's only because my country needed me to return and help level up its big data capabilities.
If I sound knowledgable about degree prospects, it's only because I've sat through a lot of interviews with prospective candidates.
So again, you should take what I say with a huge block of salt.

But for what it's worth, my starting pay as a government worker in a non-country worked out to be ~50k burgerbucks a year, which isn't too shabby compared to my peers at least.
>>
>>9054175
What country you from?
>>
File: 2376296.jpg (208KB, 850x1136px) Image search: [Google]
2376296.jpg
208KB, 850x1136px
>>9054218
>revealing personal information on an anonymous van-exploding bulletin board
>>
>>9054242
Teach is best EO girl?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.