[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /sci/ third worlder here. I was wondering how do you choose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 305f617e188d3414fc72beed40bd59f7.jpg (128KB, 558x1024px) Image search: [Google]
305f617e188d3414fc72beed40bd59f7.jpg
128KB, 558x1024px
Hi /sci/ third worlder here. I was wondering how do you choose your major? every one that I've talked to says that they were always into this or that and so they knew that what they would like to do, but I don t think I've ever had that.I've never been too keen on anything. I just liked maths and physics and so I kept on studying them and now I must choose an engineering major.
For now my main options are civil and electrical engineering.
Any civil/electrical engineers here to tell me about what you actually do once you start working and how you made your choice ? I'm asking because I can't simply try one and then if I don't like it transfer into the other one the next year because that's not how it works in here.
>>
>>9052202
Civil's cool, because you get to travel to see stuff you've designed.
Electrical's cool, because the math is more versatile.
>>
>>9052202
>third worlder here
go back to your mud hut village and grow rice. We have plenty of engineers in America already and we don't need more.
>>
>>9052202
>Do you like it?
>Do you see yourself doing this thing for 8 hours straight without this stressing you?
>Are the financial prospects of that career enough to support your tastes and status?

If so then pick it.
>>
>>9052202
I didn't. I got 100% in calculus and physics in high school but no one told me that I'd do well in engineering. I knew I wasn't autistic enough to do pure math and physics wouldn't get me a job. Had someone just told me engineering is applied physics and math, they would have saved me 2 years of school because I originally majored in pre med

The guy they sent in from the states ASME chapter to get us interested in engineering showed us a video of a bridge blowing up and basically said "isn't this cool? " didn't interest me at all.

I decided to give engineering a shot because a lot of Sci fi novels I read had engineer protagonists. I loved it. I thought I'd be doing machinery design. I ended up getting a job in oil after I graduated, and later getting into construction management.

Had you told me when I was 18 that I'd be dealing with pipes and dirt work all day, and loving it, I'd have laughed in your face.

Tldr, if you like math, engineering is very big field, you can learn to like something once you start working in it for a couple years, or transfer to something else. If you can handle the 4 years of school, it is a very safe bet vs a lot of other majors
>>
>>9053086
This pretty much. If you love numbers you will probably like applied numbers even better. Don't let the engineers are just faglords meme steer you away. If you are actually smart and humble you can be king of brainlets and make six figures while not working all that hard once you move up the ranks and enjoy what you do and make everyone else's life easier at the same time.
>>
>>9053100
>if you love numbers
>don't study number theory

You don't love numbers, you love being perceived as smart because YOU FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE!!!!XDDD

So yeah, engineering.
>>
>>9053100
Yeah exactly. Being in the construction management the work isn't hard, it's just fast paced and I make over 150 estimating construction costs in an office all day and chatting up the foreman and client engineers.

The constructing crew makes half that and have to freeze their ass off all winter. The other field engineer is 60 years old and worked his way up from the field over 30 years

My 4 years of school got me in the same position as him and I'm not even 30 yet. Good investment on my part.
>>
OP here thanks to everyone for the recommandation. I think I'll just do more research and choose one since they're both viable options.
>>9053086
could you explain how you went from machinery to oil and construction management? Also does it involve interacting with the clients because I'm not too social so I don't have much experience with people.
>>
i chose major of armed forces
rate
>>
>>9053233
I majored in mechanical engineering with a machinery specialization. Out of college one of my profs got me a couple interviews and the oil engineering firm paid the most.

I got into construction because my firm asked for someone on site for a project and I volunteered. I liked it so much I asked the construction firm if they were looking for engineers, they were and I've been with them ever since. Just volunteer for the shit other people don't want to do, it can open up whole new opportunities

It does involve social interaction, not wining and dining, but you need to be able to talk about something than work with them.. I have aspergers, it's hard for me but it's something you can learn.
>>
>>9053260
thank you so much, I really appreciate the info and like you said I'll just have to dive in.
btw do the clubs that you join in college matter in the long run or is it just "fun"
>>
>>9053323
The only aspect of college clubs that matters is the good old boy network from joining them, so join whichever clubs have the people who you think will the most successful and join them.
>>
>>9053338
ok thanks , that's good to know.
>>
>>9053323
>>9053338
Yeah this. I was a lone autist in college and I wish I would have participated in the clubs more.
>>
>>9053389
how not to be a loner in college ?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.