[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

nobel prize for mathematics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

Why is there no nobel prize for mathematics? I mean, there is a nobel prize for economic sciences … which barely qualify as "science" imho.

I heard some anecdote about Nobel's wife cheating with some mathematician. But somehow, this does not sound serious.
>>
There is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fields_Medal
>>
>>9050913
I'd argue the Abel prize is closer to being a Nobel prize for maths. The reason there is no Nobel prize for maths is because Nobel did not think it helped humanity, at least not directly.
>>
>>9050911
Alfred Nobel was cucked by a mathematician.
>>
>>9050913
The fields medal is hardly a nobel prize. The money you get is peanuts, compared to the funding you get for a nobel prize.
>>
>>9050925
But he had the opinion that economic sciences do? That seems strange, even most capitalists do not believe this.
>>
>>9050963
the prize in economics was added many years later
>>
>>9050930
This.
>>
>>9050967
Who added it?
>>
>>9051007
the central bank of sweden. it was first given in 1969.
>>
>>9050930
>>9050969
Urban myth.
>>
>>9050911
>there is a nobel prize for economic sciences

it's a fake nobel prize, the swedish central bank simply stole his name and created a prize "in honor of nobel" for marketing.
>>
>>9051047
>central bank
>marketing
I don't think you understand what a central bank is
>>
>>9051056
fact is there's nothing in Alfred Nobel's will that calls for a prize for economics, and the Swedish central bank has no relation with the Nobel foundation, they just stole his name to make themselves feel more important.
>>
>>9051072
This is incorrect. The prize is financed through a donation by Sweden's central bank, where a central bank is a state's money repository, but the prize is recognized by the Nobel Foundation.
>>
>>9050925
In terms of what the prize is and how often it's awarded, yes. What about in terms of the prestige of the medal?
>>
>>9051040
((()))
>>
Earning a Nobel means you did something that matters.
>>
>>9051783
What about Barack Obama?
>>
>>9051739
Central banks are an organ of the state, not a bank where you create a savings account.
>>
>>9051788
Obviously faggot
>>
>>9051785
What about him?
>>
>>9051791
It didn't seem like it was obvious given the post's implication seemed to conflate the two.
>>
>>9051785
The "nobel peace prize" is subjective, it doesn't count. Its the yearly participation award.
>>
>>9051796
He won a Nobel Prize.
>>
>>9051684
For mathematicians I'd say it's pretty noteworthy.
>>
>>9051804
He didn't win the Nobel in any science related field. Why is that relative to the conversation on this board?
>>
>>9051800
The central banks are way jewier than your local credit union
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.