[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Musk Cucked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 292
Thread images: 39

File: JFMSU.jpg (56KB, 1190x595px) Image search: [Google]
JFMSU.jpg
56KB, 1190x595px
Where were you when Musk was cucked?

Elon Musk's keynote speech at the 2017 ISSR&D Conference:

- No more propulsive Dragon landings

- Red Dragon is seemingly off the table entirely

- ITS dramatically reduced in scope and size to focus on 'economics'

- Falcon Heavy pretty much expected to shit the bed on first launch

- Elon: 'we need to build a base on the moon'. Goodbye Mars.

Well fuck me. There goes the fucking dream.
>>
>>9048889
>corporate shill overpromising deliverables and taking taxpayer money

people were surprised by this?
>>
>>9048892
Yeah yeah, its fun to hate on the popular guy, but in reality spacex was shaping up to be a very successful company, with some very ambitious dreams that all of us hoped (openly or secretly) would come true.

This settles it though. Its not happening.
>>
check the catalog you massive retard
>>
Not science and math. Fuck off back to Plebbit.
>>
>>9048896
Uh I did? The only slightly relevant thread is >>>9048799
but that thread's topic is discussion about the dragons new landing function.

Please direct me to the other threads?
>>
File: Bezos.RocketSize.jpg (358KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Bezos.RocketSize.jpg
358KB, 3000x2000px
How hard is he right now?
>>
What the fuck
>>
>>9048889
He's not a scientist, he's a businessman.
>>
>>9048908
Hes an engineer, which all of /sci/ agrees is more important than scientists.

As his company deals with space and space exploration, these topics can be discussed on /sci/ freely.
>>
Well this is a depressing thread. Thanks.
>>
>>9048889
>'we need to build a base on the moon'

Finally, some sense, if he actually said that.
>>
>>9048920
That is a direct quote.

It's not smart, it's fucking retarded. Everything is harder on the moon and for no benefit. The only thing easier is its closer.
>>
>>9048889
fuck you cunt
>- No more propulsive Dragon landings

>- Red Dragon is seemingly off the table entirely

Thats cause they found a better and bigger alternative to replace this

shits still happening

just better you dipshit cunt
>>
>>9048928
Did you watch the keynote? Musk was visually fucking depressed. This is not an improvement
>>
File: Screenshot (55).png (276KB, 857x693px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (55).png
276KB, 857x693px
>>9048889
>Where were you when Musk was cucked?
I don't remember exactly, but it was when he didn't deliver the fully reusable Falcon 9 in two years as promised
>>
File: Screenshot (56).png (366KB, 838x541px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (56).png
366KB, 838x541px
>>9048938
Neither did they deliver a long-term cost reduction by a factor of ten, even potentially
>>
>>9048910
he's not an engineer, he has a degree in physics and cs

now go back to suck dicks, engifaggot
>>
>>9048924
>Everything is harder on the moon
u wot
landing on mars is harder than on earth or on the moon
more gravity than moon, the atmosphere is there but not enough to brake or parachute efficiently
>>
>>9048947
>computer engineer
btfo
>>
>>9048889
>- ITS dramatically reduced in scope and size to focus on 'economics'
You don't fucking say?
The whole idea was an obvious skycastle PR, a rocket to nowhere, just to shake the media up.
>>
>>9048932
Here we see a truly emotionally weak brainlet. Just because Musk seemed depressed to you a single time, and they took away your cool looking hype features, you think he "cucked" and give up hopes? Do you really think they did not think this completely through and didnt do this as a way to make their company even more efficient in regard to getting your mars? Its like youre trying to be subhuman garbage...
>>
>>9048947
Ya but he's not a physicist or a computer scientist.
>>
>>9049001
Re read ops post and try and say he wasn't cucked again
>>
File: 1482993462168.jpg (345KB, 1099x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1482993462168.jpg
345KB, 1099x1000px
>people un-ironically believing that for profit private corporations will ever get us to the stars
>>
>>9048924
>for no benefit

He said "base" not "colony". You can't have a colony on Mars or the Moon due to Jello babies. Doing something much harder is actually better. The Moon is the best stepping stone we can use to advance our technology for everything else and places we could actually colonize.
>>
>>9049127
When will the jello babies meme die? There's obvious ways to avoid that like building long-term human habitats on mars that rotate around to produce enhanced gravity ffs
>>
>>9049130
Why not just build the same thing in space and live there instead?
>>
i will never understand this clucking meme...
u calling elon a chicken? huh? u are the real chicken
BWAK BWAK BWWWWAK
>>
>>9049132
We should, but mars is easier in a lot of ways since you have a much larger resource pool, easy sources for oxtgen and fuel and materials space you have to be gathering that stuff up all of the time and you have a lot less living space.

The rotating thing is also mandatory in space but with mars it could be fairly small and mostly for pregnant women and children, most colonists could live fine in non-rotating habitats and just rely on exercise and a good diet to keep their bones decently strong, maybe everyone could sleep in rotating gravity enhancers to give the bones a boosts to strength.

In the very long run we will genetically engineer the body not to throw muscle and bone mass away so easily as it does, but there are ways around it now that allow colonization without any radically advanced tech.
>>
Colonizing other planets is a waste of resources at the moment

Colonize Antarctica, or recolonize Africa
>>
>>9049163
>Colonize Antarctica
Why?
>Recolonize Africa
Again, why? What's there to gain? We need resources, not plain old living space
>>
>>9049183
first time I've heard anyone say we're going to mars for the resources
>>
>>9048902
limp.

he still hasn't put anything into orbit.
/
>>9048889
NASA has no money to go to Mars. So SpaceX has no money to go Mars. all because the republicans are cutting NASA budget to protect their oil and coal buddies.
>>
So why no propulsive landings via Dragon ? NASA won't let them? Simply not worth it on a cost analysis basis?
>>
>>9049194
no point in developing and building it. if they aren't going to do Red Dragon missions.
>>
>>9049190
No, we're going to Mars for fun. Fun counts as a resource. What's the fun in colonizing an ice island or a nigger reservation?
>>
>>9049150
>genetically engineer the body

Oh now you've gone into "I'm a full fucking retard" zone. Why does space bring out the fucking morons in droves? This thread is getting as bad as reading NASA youtube channel comments (don't fucking do that!)
>>
>>9049200
well good luck with that, you need economic incentives to make things happen

The way that I've always seen it is that space seems to be jumping the gun a bit when there is still plenty of frontiers here that are far more economically viable, whether its the frigid polar regions, the deep sea, uncivilized africa, etc.

Literally the only worthwhile endeavor I see with space is something like asteroid mining for rare elements that the earth is scarce in
>>
>>9049216
Entertainment is an economic incentive. Why do you think the space race happened
>>
Why can't they do their balloon castle recovery thing with the Dragon too?
Or splash down in some man made lake/river

It's not like its hard to hit a target while parachuting
>>
>>9049223
cold war
>>
>mars?
>i think thats a dumb idea sweetey come back to bed and give me children :3
>>
>>9049228
Exactly. Americans (and maybe Soviets, I don't know) were bored of the passive-agressive non-fighting between us and the reds. So we decided to shake things up with a little race to outer space.
>>
>>9049206
Bone density is absolutely linked to genetic factors Anon....and we can absolutely engineer people to resist the negative effects of microgravity in the future.

You're the one that just went full retard.
>>
>>9048889
>disappointed by hype train
>uses the word cuck
yep, you might not be aware of this, but you're a potato.
>>
>>9049240
>Creating monsters in the name of science.
>>
>>9049193
>he still hasn't put anything into orbit.

His orbital launch vehicle engine also exploded, so it's going to be an interesting campaign to figure out how to make the engine work.
>>
>>9049249

> muh feelings
>>
>>9048892
Since it is exactly the business model for Tesla cars, no, I am not surprised...
>>
>>9048898
/sci/ swims in posts about SpaceX. Calm down.
>>
File: ESA.jpg (248KB, 1280x765px) Image search: [Google]
ESA.jpg
248KB, 1280x765px
he's going to focus on building a base on the moon instead of chasing mars? yeah that sucks but that's interesting considering there's a ton of recent moon interest from just about every major space agency. seems like he is following the money which is practical but at the same time there's no guarantee that anyone's moon plans will come to fruition. there's currently no funding for manned moon missions.
>>
>>9049307
There's even less funding for manned mars missions and they don't have the capital to build a colonization-scale Mars launch vehicle.
>>
>>9049307
Which is exactly the current funding mars missions.

But the near-term potential for getting somebody to pay you to go to the moon is better.
>>
>>9049307
It's not a matter of "focus on building a moon base"

Any ITS is fully capable of landing on the moon just as easily as on Mars
>>
File: 1490287853138.jpg (143KB, 1227x1037px) Image search: [Google]
1490287853138.jpg
143KB, 1227x1037px
>colony on the moon now

I love how this meme still holds true.
>>
>>9048889
GET THIS MAN MORE TAXPAYER MONEY!
>>
>>9049238
You're braindead. The space race was about weaponizing space.
>>
check his twitter you numskulls

They can't do powered landings because the legs sticking out of the heat shield didn't work out. It can still *do* powered landings, but not with landing legs.
>>
>>9048910
>which all of /sci/ agrees
But /sci/ are stupid.
>>
File: 1499038979520.png (3MB, 3209x2405px) Image search: [Google]
1499038979520.png
3MB, 3209x2405px
Is Falcon Heavy finished?
Either SpaceX will pull the plug after a couple failures, or the vastly superior New Glenn will make FH obsolete.
>>
>>9049634
as Elon mentioned multiple times today, they just can't do everything in simulations. They need to launch it to figure out how it performs. Iteration through failure.
>>
>>9049381
they can't do powered landings if superdracos are never added to the Dragon
>>
>>9049642
it'll always have the superdracos, for abort
>>
>>9049372
That's the excuse they used to get military funding. In reality, it was just another way to make the people think we're fighting the reds without having to go nuclear
>>
>>9049307
How much do you think a moon hut will cost?
Looks really /comfy/..
>>
File: 1433519944774.jpg (590KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1433519944774.jpg
590KB, 1280x1024px
>>9049124

The only way Uncle Sam would get us to space is if we find a distant asteroid with oil inhabited by muslims.
>>
>>9049372

That's just a conspiracy theory. It was more about just beating the USSR in any way we could.

Had it really been about weaponizing space, we would have already done it before that point, or even after.
>>
More like Elon Cucksk, amirite?
>>
>>9049372
No it wasn't. Space weapons was a separate thing, more or less.

>>9049641
>Iteration through failure.
Smells like 60s all over again. That's why America put people on the moon, they embraced the new methodology of pouring shit ton of money in ground testing without having to make rockets fail in flight. Much more data that way, and less money required total.
>>
>>9049142
Brainlet
>>
>>9049844
He even elongated the wrong sound.
>>
>>9049381
>because the legs sticking out of the heat shield didn't work out
holy crap how can you mess this up?
TKS had a fucking docking port in the heatshield, in 70s
>>
>>9049849
gemini had this too
>>
>>9049316
Not if aerocapture is needed
>>
>>9049381
Why would you unironically have a twatter account?
>>
>>9049206
Well its mostly people screaming about moonghosts and flat earth, so yeah, dont do that
>>
>>9049206
>Why does space bring out the fucking morons in droves
Star Trek. Sad lonely people think they'd be someone important in a space federation. Oddly enough, this is the same delusional thinking used by racist living in trailer parks who think if we could get rid of all non whites, they'd be someone important in the Aryan nation. It's daydreaming without being tempered by reality.
>>
>>9049292
Embryos can't consent.
>>
>>9048889
>Cucked
>>>/pol/
Fuck off retard.
>>
>a literal reddit and hacker news meme turns out to be overhyped
Wow color me surprised
>>
File: 1314947771481.jpg (37KB, 549x309px) Image search: [Google]
1314947771481.jpg
37KB, 549x309px
>>9048889

This is a good thing.

Moon is the obvious first step. Red Dragon is a pointless stopgap. ITS at fucking 550 tons is way too oversized and should obviously be reduced in size.
>>
>>9049841
moreover, Elon said yesterday that they are putting every dollar they make right into r&D.
>>
>>9049878
It's actually quite funny how star trek is said to be this "hard sci-fi" show for nerd when it doesn't even explaind things properly.
It's a optimistic feelgood tv show where even the "logical" cast makes the most absurd assumptions and inductions. I loved (and still somewhat love) star trek, but it's in fact just another feelgood soap opera.
Thank god for DS9, that's atleast not as optimistic, more realistic star trek that deals with politics and develops other races, than muh TNG and baldman.
>>
>>9050133
t. I don't watch star trek
>>
File: 54432435235.png (247KB, 377x377px) Image search: [Google]
54432435235.png
247KB, 377x377px
You will never be able to afford a trip to Mars. You will never go to Mars.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA get rekt spacex kids
>>
>>9049938
no, the moon is a fucking stopgap.
>>
I don't know what speech you watched, but the one I just saw contained none those things.
>>
>>9050183
Then you watched the wrong one, you dolt.
>>
>>9048924
>I don't understand gravity wells
Here's a hint, get an anchor and a rope, then tie one end to your foot and the other to the anchor, then throw the anchor over the rail of a bridge. This will teach you everything you need about gravity
>>
>>9050195
Have a link?
>>
>>9049878
That's right Andrevious. Only stupid whyate peepo care about space n sheeit. It's a waste when we need more money for dem programs.
>>
>>9049307
Moon is good. Laughably small escape velocity plus a big empty ball with nothing to protect on it so once you develop some infrastructure you can fire payloads of materials up there with a damn mass driver if you want. Do your construction up there and gently push the rocket into space.

We need steps on the ladder to mars. More orbital infrastructure, facilities on the moon. Then Mars and points beyond.
>>
>>9050177

Moon is not a stopgap, stopgap is something which is will be obsolete in the future. There will be a base on the Moon even if Mars is colonized. Moon is simply a different goal. And an easier one, so great as a first step.
>>
>>9048892
>taking taxpayer money
It's not like the Lockheed Martin and Boeing are any better.

Just look at how much Orion and the SLS costs, infinite delays and the money keeps flowing.
Every Space agency gets handouts, but those guys have been ripping off taxpayers for much longer and for much, much more.
>>
>>9048924
>Everything is harder on the moon
It's practically the same though.

Sure there are less resources on the moon. But you're going to reasonably expect any Mars colony/outpost to try and be as self sufficient as possible anyway.

It's not like you'll have the tools and energy with you to locate, dig up and process raw materials into finished products.
>>
File: cryingpepe.png (340KB, 600x583px) Image search: [Google]
cryingpepe.png
340KB, 600x583px
>“it ended up being way harder to do Falcon Heavy than we thought.
>“At first it sounds really easy to just stick two first stages on as strap-on side boosters. But then everything changes.”
>Mr. Musk admitted, “We were pretty naive about that.”
>“The amount of load you’re putting through that center core is crazy because you have two super powerful boosters also shoving that center core,” stated Mr. Musk.
>“So [we broke] the qualification levels on so much of the hardware [that] we had to redesign the whole center-core airframe on the Falcon 9 because it’s going to take so much load.
>“And then you’ve got the separation systems… and, yeah, it just ended up being way, way more difficult than we originally thought.”

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
WHY ELON
I BELIEVED IN YOU
>>
>>9048889

In a way I'm relieved. I thought capitalism was working for a second there.

Wheww
>>
>>9049130
>habitats on mars that rotate around
Are you retarded? how do you suggest that would work?

I can understand doing that in space. And you wouldn't even need any mechanical parts to make it rotate, just make the habitat itself rotate and inertia will take care of it.
>>
>>9049307
He is trying to court the ESA (European Space Agency) for funds. The ESA president said he wants to build a permanent base on the moon. He shot himself in the foot when he quit Trump's advisory council in a temper tantrum over the Paris agreement thing, so now he must beg for money from other governments.

Musk is a charlatan.
>>
>>9049163
>Colonize Antarctica
leave Antarctica alone

>recolonize Africa
I wish. But to much historical baggage.
The Chinese are doing it though.
>>
>>9049130
You're an idiot.
>>
>>9049881
>I'm sorry Jimmy, we could've given you a strong and healthy body, an IQ of 180 and good social skills. but that would've hurt some Christ fag's feelings.
>>
>>9050290
Communism never brought anyone to the moon.
>>
>>9050294
>He is trying to court the ESA (European Space Agency) for funds. The ESA president said he wants to build a permanent base on the moon.

Mother fucker. I hope the ESA tells him to fuck off. As a European, I'd like my tax money to go to either public funded research or at the very least a European company. Why the fuck would we give money to an American company?
>>
>who knew space could be this hard

Musk is the Trump of the space industry.
>>
>>9050313
Is Ariane space the only European company developing rockets?
>>
>>9050287

He set an ambitious goal, figured out the reality, and admitted it. This is a good thing. You want your engineers to be sensitive to reality.
>>
>>9050323

I believe so but it's more like a parent company for everything to do with rockets. Each (relevant) EU country has multiple aerospace companies who are then shareholders of Arianespace.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianespace#Company_and_infrastructure
>>
Damn he's starting to look old.

But unlike us, he actually lived.
>>
>>9048889
>'we need to build a base on the moon'
Fucking FINALLY. Sounds like someone finally grew a brain.The Moon has always and should have always been our primary goal. It is the first stage upon which we can explore the cosmos.
>>
File: 1500493631191.png (161KB, 680x620px) Image search: [Google]
1500493631191.png
161KB, 680x620px
>>9050242
>more money for dem programs

more like conservacucks funneling all the money to their military industrial complex campaign donors
>>
>>9049715

With evidence of some wrongdoing against Jews on the same.
>>
>>9050354
>>9049715

literally the only way it will ever happen is if we the people direct the government to use our tax money to do it. But since that's never going to happen either we are stuck here on a dying planet.
>>
>>9050338

>military

Muslims aren't going to bomb themselv....

Ok, they aren't going to bomb themselves with hi tech drones, repurposed nuclear bombers, and carrier air wings.
>>
File: sad.jpg (68KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
68KB, 500x365px
>>9050327
I wanted to see the beautiful landing of 3 FH boosters this year anon.
>>
>>9050313

As an European I would like my tax dollars to go to the cheapest company that can deliver the product. Space program is not a jobs program.
>>
>>9050381
>Space program is not a jobs program
But it is partially an economy (thus jobs) building program. NASA gave money to SpaceX to design Falcon 9 and now the company is reaping benefits by using it to deliver satellites. All that money goes to American employees and American subcontractor businesses.
>>
>>9050409
>All that money goes to American employees and American subcontractor businesses.
are you retarded or something? that money goes primarily into the pockets of SpaceX share holders/stake holders. If NASA was doing the work then the same "americans" would be getting the economic benefits minus the profits Musk is scamming off the top.
>>
>>9050409

It is not supposed to be a jobs program at all. That is exactly what is killing space programs both in the US and in Europe.

Lets say you have $10 billion budget. You can buy 20 rocket launches from a foreign company, or 10 rocket launches from a more expensive European company and support European economy a bit. What do you choose?

The option 1 is the obvious choice if you actually care about space and want to achieve as much as possible not on Earth, but in space.

Option 2 is what a corrupt jobs program that egregiously wastes resources would choose. It is a toxic mentality that kills progress and ensures that space and anything associated with it is always so very expensive for no good reason whatsoever. It needs to be eliminated with extreme prejudice.

Similar logic holds for US space program, just replace jobs program for Europe by jobs programs for individual states.
>>
>>9050418
>If NASA was doing the work
NASA cannot be a fucking octopus embracing the entire space industry, it's a centrally planned commie wet dream. NASA should just incubate space companies and let them go on their own, only using their services from time to time.

>the profits Musk is scamming off the top
So what? It's 10 times cheaper that way.
>>
>>9050338
>using discretionary spending
Use the total budget you faggot
>>
>>9050432
why? it makes more sense to talk in terms of what money is available to spend i.e., the discretionary budget.
>>
>>9050430
>centrally planned commie wet dream
like how it was when we actually had a space program that did shit and was the best in the world

handing out tax money to private companies to build stuff that the private companies turn around and sell back to us for more tax money is retarded and not capitalism. Its bullshit corruption.
>>
>>9050358
oh maybe, it was a retarded idea to let USSR fall. It would have gladly wasted its money on stupid shit like this while keeping its on people in relative poverty.

Would you agree to this arrangement though for the sake of colonizing other planets? I bet not, as you love your high quality meat every day, fucknourmous supermarkets full with all kind of consumer goods, fast PC, personal car and nice family house to be born in.
>>
>>9050440

>like how it was when we actually had a space program that did shit and was the best in the world

Only because we spent over 5% of the budget on it. I dont think you realize how massive Apollo was, over 200,000 people worked on it.

Centrally planned commie wet dream may achieve its goals when you have unlimited funds available.

But those times are not coming back, and in todays world, ECONOMICS is the primary paradigm that will dictate what we will accomplish in space.

And economics is where private space companies such as SpaceX really shine.
>>
File: elondreams.png (33KB, 588x200px) Image search: [Google]
elondreams.png
33KB, 588x200px
More big dreams from The Man himself, fresh off the press.
>>
>>9050442
>implying you couldn't just redirect 90% of the militaries $600 billion budget to NASA and have the solar system colonized in 20 years.
>>
>>9050461
Thunderf00t better eat his socks when he gets royaly Bee Tee Off Ouuh
>>
>>9050465
That would be really dumb.
>>
>>9050468

what if we then bomb muslims from high orbit
>>
File: military budgets.png (132KB, 540x397px) Image search: [Google]
military budgets.png
132KB, 540x397px
>>9050468
even with a 90% cut we would still be bigger than 90% of the rest. or do you seriously think that in this day and age we are going to have open wars of conquest between major nations? Its economic suicide for the major nations to have wars
>>
>>9048895
you realize even if spacex only achieves large scale reusablity with its rockets and nothing else musk will still be one of the most transformational figures in space travel of all time right?
>>
>>9050475
The Muzzies are just pawns here, except for the Saudis. We can bomb them I guess.

>>9050477
It's called power projection anon, it's about economic and political leverage. You would not be living your comfy life without it.
>>
>>9050485

I think we could afford to reduce military budget by a hundred billion and still power project just fine
>>
>>9050485
>You would not be living your comfy life without it.
why? Are the goat herders in Afghanistan going to swim the Atlantic to attack us with their sticks? Is China going to suicide their entire export economy by attacking their number one client? Is Saudi Arabia going to stop selling their oil? Obviously not.
>>
>>9050461
>>9050467
>people un-ironically thinking this isn't just a scam for Musk to get more free tax money before he fails to deliver his train tubes due to technical difficulties.
>>
>>9050491
It's hard to say. There's a lot of fronts to cover. Maybe if certain countries started pulling their weight I could agree with such drastic cuts. I mean there's some areas where things are being spent inefficiently sure but just casually cutting the budget by even 20 or 30% could have dramatic consequences down the road.

>>9050492
Again it's not about direct attacks. It about indirect attacks to attack certain market forces. China isn't going to declare war on us but they might bully a neighbor into their economic sphere, weakening us as a result.

>Is Saudi Arabia going to stop selling their oil?
The Saudis fuck with production all the time to get what they want.
>>
>>9050508
>Vague hand waving without identifying any actual threats

that's what I thought.
>>
>>9050515
Just because you're ignorant about geopolitical realities doesn't mean they don't exist. China's currency manipulation, Russia's strangle hold over European energy, Saudi Arabia and OPEC being temperamental little cunts with a hand on the pulse of oil prices. Anyone of these factors could cause the collapse of the current petrodollar hegemony that gives you your cheap gas, cheap consumer goods and a strong dollar to buy it all. But yeah let's tear it all down to live in the vacuum of space because this anon thought that contrary to the beliefs of every major economy on earth a military budget isn't important.
>>
>>9050529
>doesn't mean they don't exist.
the existential threat you've been conditioned to believe justifies the American military expenditures is a lie.
>China's currency manipulation
debunked
>Russia's strangle hold over European energy
selling their oil/gas to Europe is bad?
>Saudi Arabia and OPEC with a hand on the pulse of oil prices
our number one middle east alliance threatens us?

maybe don't call other people ignorant when the best you can do is recite the bullshit propaganda from Fox News.
>>
>>9050539
>debunked
No?

>selling their oil/gas to Europe is bad?
Unless you think Russian influence and leverage is a good thing then yes it is bad.

>our number one middle east alliance threatens us?
Saudi Arabia is not a real ally. They hold an immense amount of power over world markets and constantly threaten the current balance if Uncle Sam doesn't do them "favours" or contribute massive amounts of military aid. There's a reason every country has been trying to reach for energy independence. They got sick of the Saudis and OPECs shit. Not to mention their state sponsorship of terrorism. They are not our friend. Don't be naive.
>>
>>9048889
Oh so they're literally just a satellite swarm deployment company now.
Glad I can stop giving a shit.
>>
>>9049857
That is compensated for by the differences in delta-v & travel time.
>>
>>9049307
Does the moon have any metals at all? Is it really just a fucking rock? Outside of maybe Helium-3 if we ever get fusion running, is there really nothing of value to mine or collect?
Why even go there at all?
Might as well set-up an asteroid base so we can get more metals in space without launching them.
>>
>>9050556
>No?
"They're not currency manipulators," Trump told the Journal about China.
http://fortune.com/2017/04/12/trump-china-currency-manipulator/

>Russian influence and leverage is bad.
selling your resources on the global market is what all countries do. its not bad.

>Saudi Arabia is not a real ally
"the defense of Saudi Arabia is vital to the defense of the United States" -Franklin D. Roosevelt
they have been our allies since WW2 and we sell them more military hardware than any other country.
>>
>>9050568
Moon has all the same resources as Earth
>>
>>9050568

>Does the moon have any metals at all?

As much as Mars. What it does not have is volatiles, so hydrogen, helium and carbon.
>>
>>9050575

correction: hydrogen, nitrogen and carbon
>>
>>9050569
>They're not currency manipulators," Trump told the Journal about China.
Maybe you should read your own article. This is a political move. Not based in economic reality. Trump's word is not divine law or something.

>its not bad.
Russia having influence over NATO allies is bad. For America.

>since WW
Things have changed quite a bit since then.

>and we sell them more military hardware than any other country.
Ah my bad. They oil price manipulation and state sponsored terrorism isn't a big deal because we sell them stuff! Not to stop them from fucking us over but because we like the Saudis! They're such pals. I don't know what you're trying to do here. You're never going to convince me that America has no threats and that all military spending is some form of government corruption.
>>
>>9050580
>won't even believe it when Trump says China isn't a currency manipulator
well, sir, you are... interesting. Just out of curiosity what would it take for you to believe it? I assumed that youd take the word of your Dear Leader but I guess that isn't good enough.

>Russia selling things to our friends is bad
wft you're not serious right?

>Saudi Arabia isn't our "real" friend anymore.
we literally sell them more weapons than we sell to any other country and have treaties in place to defend them militarily in any potential wars.

>state sponsored terrorism
if you think the Saudis do anything that America doesn't want them to do then you're being delusional.

and to bring this back to topic... no where in any of your posts was there a credible explanation of a threat that justifies the military expenditure. So there is no reason not to divert that budget primarily over to NASA. And there is literally no reason to be paying private corporations with tax money to build things just so they can sell it back to us for more tax money. Its a corrupt scam that is only allowed to take place because the American people are too stupid to know they're getting screwed.
>>
>>9050575
>>9050574
Oh, I didn't actually know that. That's not too bad then.

The prospect of colonizing and eventually industrializing the moon doesn't seem too terrible then. If I remember correctly we could even build a space elevator on the moon with current technology if we were serious about it.
All of this could lead to some pretty cheap space craft built on the moon. Although I don't know what their propulsion would be, considering you don't want to be launching fuel from earth. But then all this stuff would probably take a hundred years anyway, so I guess mankind will figure something out. Or not. Because they'll probably pull the plug on this shit as well.
>>
>>9050589
>what would it take for you to believe it?
Something more substantial than "Trump said so!"

>your Dear Leader but I guess that isn't good enough.
You're barking up the wrong tree there.

>wft you're not serious right?
Yes I am.

>we literally sell them more weapons than we sell to any other country and have treaties in place to defend them militarily in any potential wars.
I keep telling you why we do that and why it's a problem but you keep ignoring me. Selling things equals=good universally in your mind. Gotcha.

>if you think the Saudis do anything that America doesn't want them to do then you're being delusional.
I guess the energy crises of the 70s and 80s and 9/11 were all part of Americas master plan.

>no where in any of your posts was there a credible explanation of a threat that justifies the military expenditure.
Because you handwaved them all away to support your preconceived notion that:
>Its a corrupt scam that is only allowed to take place because the American people are too stupid to know they're getting screwed.
In short all of geopolitics is an American conspiracy. Gotcha.
>>
>>9050465
Or you could just take it from Medicare or social security and have way more money to colonize with. While still having a strong military
>>
>>9049216
>Literally the only worthwhile endeavor I see with space is something like asteroid mining for rare elements that the earth is scarce in
Eventually, this planet is going to get crowded. It's not too bad yet but it's starting to get there. The crowdiest shitholes are REALLY crowded and they're exporting their crowded to the rest of the world.

When we hit 25 billion constant rioting begins, if famine or drought doesn't begin a dieoff.

Eventually, whether it takes 10 years or 1000, humans need to colonize other worlds. Mars is the most practical for it's proximity to Earth. It's still a shithole and should be seen as an opportunity to learn this planet colonization business.
>>
>>9050142
The decks on a ship are laid out parallel to the direction of travel.

Whenever they touch the gas pedal, everyone should get tossed towards the back of the ship.

I won't even bother discussing the lack of environment suits on a ship meant for exploring exotic locations, or the captain's habit of sending down away teams not wearing them.
>>
>>9050613
>take it from Medicare or social security
fine whatever do that then. I don't use those anyways.

>>9050601
>In short all of geopolitics is an American conspiracy. Gotcha.
you're such a pinhead. god help you.
>>
File: spendingchart.png (146KB, 1003x915px) Image search: [Google]
spendingchart.png
146KB, 1003x915px
>>9050437
There's no money available to spend. Mandatory and discretionary are political labels. Most mandatory spending is liabilities, ie social security and medicare. IE your gimmedats.
>>
>>9050621
>you're such a pinhead. god help you.
I really don't know how else to interpret the idea that America has no enemies and the military budget is a scam.

>inb4 of course you don't brainlet xd
>>
>>9050574
>Moon has all the same resources as Earth
no it doesnt, not even close
>>
File: EISENHOWER_farewell.jpg (191KB, 1276x714px) Image search: [Google]
EISENHOWER_farewell.jpg
191KB, 1276x714px
>>9050629
>>
>>9050629
>I really don't know how else to interpret the idea that America has no enemies and the military budget is a scam.
It seems like a scam to you, because you're comfy in suburbia. The world outside of America is largely a shithole. It's why people are always so excited to travel. They really think it's better out there or something.

Having the world's greatest military many times over ensures the world will behave by our western values, or at least keep their bullshit in their own backyard. And not try to fuck with the west.

This is the greatest country on the planet, even with all the bullshit.
>>
File: ikemilitarism.jpg (67KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
ikemilitarism.jpg
67KB, 320x320px
>>9050623
>>
>>9050635
military/industrial/complex

Doesn't anyone proof-read these image macros.

It's military-industrial complex you fucking moron.
>>
>>9050635
Says the US general who started us down this path. Maybe you should have posted Jefferson or Benjamin instead. I agree that we shouldn't have started this shit but we can't just pull out now to build rockets n sheeit.
>>
>>9050638
> The world outside of America is largely a shithole.
A lot of America is a shithole too, and many parts of it are far worse off than in other western nations. I'd much rather live in pretty much any other developed nation than a place like rural Kentucky or Mississippi.
>>
File: untitled.png (455KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
455KB, 736x736px
>>9050642
>>
>>9050638
>It seems like a scam to you,
I was disagreeing with guy who said it was a scam.
>>
>>9050623
> There's no money available to spend.
That's what happens when you think that tax cuts pay for themselves.
>>
>>9050648
You could just live in a piece of America that doesn't suck. Every country of this size has it's shitholes.

In live in Tucson AZ, affordable rent, all the amenities of a major metropolis, 500k population. Open carry. Good state, damn hot.

I would rather live here than literally anywhere else on this planet. Except maybe Colorado, not for the politics but for the weather.
>>
>>9050657
Nice memes fag.

It was the spending that got us into this mess.
>>
File: untitled.png (264KB, 595x596px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
264KB, 595x596px
>>9050659
>Except maybe Colorado, not for the politics but for the weather

I live in Denver, CO but would rather move back to Seattle, WA. Tucson is a desert shit hole, I feel bad for you.
>>
>>9050666
Spending is only half of it. Revenue is a big part of the problem.
>>
>>9050669
>wants to live in ANTIFA HQ
That and the Eisenhower macros tells me everything I need to know about you, sweetie.

Stay out of my town, I wouldn't want you to pee yourself the first time you see a gun on a hip.
>>
>>9050672
>3 trillion in 2015
There's an assload of fucking tax money, and half the country didn't even pay.

Get off my dick.
>>
>>9050666
> It was the spending that got us into this mess.
The mess is created by an imbalance between taxes and spending. Spending X dollars isn't necessarily bad as long as you're bringing in X dollars. Similarly, spending X+1 dollars isn't necessarily bad as long as you also increase revenue to X+1 dollars. And even if you decrease spending, if your revenue is dropping even more, you have a problem. Spending X and bringing in X is better than spending X-10 and bringing in X-10,000.
>>
>>9050678
Thanks, I can do basic math. We have a $20 trillion deficit. It was $12 just a little while ago.

Until that's paid down, there's literally no money left to spend. But a maxed credit card never stopped anybody. There's a perverse love of debt in this country.

We should be running balanced budgets and putting the surplus toward the debt, but that will never happen.
>>
>>9050676
> There's an assload of fucking tax money,
Because there's an assload of money in the US. The problem isn't that the country as a whole lacks money. The problem is that the wealth is so concentrated that most people in the US don't benefit from the fact that the US as a whole is extremely wealthy.

> and half the country didn't even pay
Half the country didn't pay FEDERAL INCOME TAX. They still pay a whole host of other taxes. And the reason they don't get hit with the federal income tax is because half the country has practically none of the nation's wealth. Taxing them would be incredibly inefficient, inflicting a lot of pain for close to zero benefit.
>>
>>9050681
> We have a $20 trillion deficit. It was $12 just a little while ago.
That's what happens when spending exceeds revenue. It's not just spending that creates a deficit. It's spending in excess of revenue. If you want a balanced budget, you need to be willing to at least consider tax increases. Otherwise you're ignoring half of the picture.
>>
>>9050681
>Until that's paid down, there's literally no money left to spend.
There's plenty of money in the country. The problem is that people just refuse to actually use that to pay for things. You complain about people funding things with debt, but dismiss the idea of funding things with taxes.
>>
>>9049715
>The only way Uncle Sam would get us to space is if we find a distant asteroid with oil inhabited by muslims.

We already found Asteroids with Huge amounts of rare metals such as Platinum.

A small Asteroid full of Platinum is worth US$ trillions.

These asteroids also contain Iron, Nickel, Cobalt, Magnesium, etc.
>>
>>9050684
>The problem is that the wealth is so concentrated that most people in the US don't benefit from the fact that the US as a whole is extremely wealthy.
That's demonstrably false, if only because govt is spending 2.4 trillion of the wealthy's tax dollars every year on direct subsidies to the poor, in social security, food stamps, unemployment benefits, health care, etc. All those programs are prone to abuse which increases their costs.

You have to be a teenager or extremely naive to believe there are no benefits, no positive externalities to the massive amount of wealth inequality in this country. But seeing as the word "inequality" has been the subject of a smear campaign by the left for years, it's really no surprise you think it's bad there are people rich beyond the dreams of old kings.
>>
>>9050691
Or here's a shocking idea, you could just NOT SPEND ON USELESS SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE.
>>
>>9050687
>b-but muh revenue
no, just cut spending until we are revenue neutral. done. you don't NEED any more goddamn money!

>You complain about people funding things with debt, but dismiss the idea of funding things with taxes.
I'm against increasing spending, which has been the norm for years. Tax revenue will rise natural with GDP. Dropping rates may even increase revenue. Do some googling.
>>
>>9050693
> All those programs are prone to abuse which increases their costs.
Abuse rates in programs like social security are in the single digits in percentages.
http://www.crfb.org/press-releases/fact-sheet-how-much-waste-fraud-and-abuse-there-social-security

Meanwhile, the Pentagon by its own admission wastes a fifth of its money.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-defense-waste-idUSKBN13V08B
>>
>>9050697
We've seen this before.
Step 1: Cut taxes, creating massive deficits.
Step 2: Proclaim the need for massive cuts to social spending to fix those deficits, dismissing out of hand the idea of tax increases.
Step 3: If unsuccessful in getting social spending cuts, increase military spending, making the deficit problem even larger. Continue claiming that tax increases are not an option.
Step 4: If you ever achieve the goal of cutting social spending, return to Step 1 and repeat.
>>
>>9050713
Did you even read my post?

>leave taxes alone
>moratorium on spending increases
>cut spending when possible; be aggressive
>reconcile with SS/Medicare insolvency

it doesn't matter. the WH is gesturing that they will lower taxes but it won't happen, or the cuts will be extremely modest, because spending is just out of control. and spending is going UP AGAIN THIS YEAR, even with the deregulatory environment in this administration. massive budget increases at DHS ate up the difference.

this fucking guy drained his dick and stopped there.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/07/18/trumps-budget-hikes-regulatory-spending
>>
>>9050673
>gun on a hip

I lived in phoenix for 4 years. The whole south-west culture is a load of retarded uneducated rednecks so propagandized by right wing radio they don't even know what direction is up. I truly feel bad for your type.
>>
File: lol.jpg (123KB, 428x280px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
123KB, 428x280px
>>9050745
Ha, what a pencil-dicked wuss.
>>
>>9050754
just keep voting republican like your corporate overlords paid good money to convince you was in your best interests.
>>
File: 1432060071157.gif (954KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1432060071157.gif
954KB, 320x240px
>>9050755
I didn't vote wuss. There was no acceptable candidate this year. McAfee would have been cool, but I'm can acknowledge reality.

You should consider low-T therapies.
>>
>>9050758
*last year
>>
>>9050758
>fat unmarried uneducated conservacuck who humps his guns every night

okay sweety, you sure are a "real man"
>>
>>9049124
if there is a profit to be made in it, then presumable yes they would try and go to the stars

as there is a lot of potential for money to be made then it is a distinct possibility anon
>>
>>9049206
so according to you its impossibly to modify someone genetically? So that someone's offspring is more suited for the rigors of space travel? OK
>>9049878
Star trek inspired a lot of scientists anon
There was this black astronaut lady who became one because she was inspired by star trek unlike you would was inspired by nothing to shitpost
>>
>>9049345
Jelly Baby memester again
Wow
>>
File: before after.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
before after.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
>>9048889
time to back into hair growth business
>>
>>9049345
You have never demonstrated the scientific basis of this meme.
>>
>>9050287
>“At first it sounds really easy to just stick two first stages on as strap-on side boosters
You'd have to be retarded to think it would be easy.
>>
>>9051229
he phrased it kind of jokingly in the video. Doesn't really translate to text well
>>
>>9048889
His keynote definitely had the tone of hedging bets and damping enthusiasm. He's probably being honest, and is it any surprise FH will have problems? I believe his engineering team will sort them out. They are talent.
>>
>>9051625
I'm definitely going to be at the launch either way. Hopefully it's a dawn or dusk launch; those are real pretty
>>
>>9051625
>>9051647
I hope it blows up because it's honestly boring when SpaceX keeps winning; plus post-failure shitposting is too much fun.
>>
>>9051932
Perhaps the F9 landings got stale but seeing a successful heavy-lift would be exciting.
>>
File: Delta_IV_launch_2013-08-28 (1).jpg (558KB, 1920x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Delta_IV_launch_2013-08-28 (1).jpg
558KB, 1920x2400px
So what are the engineers doing wrong with the falcon heavy?
It seemed to work just fine with the delta 4.
>>
>>9052196
DIVH first flight failed
>>
>>9052199
But 8 successful flights
>>
>moonbases
>when we still haven't even bothered to check for water on the poles
yeah no.
Say it with me;
L E O
E
O
>>
>>9052203
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_IV_Heavy
SpaceX doesn't want to spend 5 years getting the F-H "right"
>>
>“There was a time when I thought the Dragon approach to landing on Mars, where you've got a base heat shield and side mounted thrusters, would be the right way to land on Mars. But now I'm pretty confident that is not the right way, and there’s a far better approach,” Musk said. “That's what the next generation of SpaceX rockets and spacecraft is going to do.”

>On Thursday, Musk tweeted that SpaceX still plans propulsion landing, also known as powered landing, on Mars, just with “a vastly bigger ship.”

Sounds like a reason to get hyped to me.
>>
They're so grand and penisy.
>>
File: 1470951154112.jpg (6KB, 249x104px) Image search: [Google]
1470951154112.jpg
6KB, 249x104px
>>9052259
Looks like a fun place to live.
>>
>>9052196
>Delta IV Heavy
>3 engines
>booster thrust 3,140 kN

>Falcon Heavy
>27 engines
>booster thrust 7,607 kN

I think this is a completely different ballpark in terms of aerodynamic pressure.
>>
>>9052298
the acceleration profiles are likely very similar
>>
>>9052310
Then why Elon is so sad?
>>
>>9052259
>hey look Tyrone, we arrived at the fucking middle of nowhere
>>
File: czKZGPu.png (668KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
czKZGPu.png
668KB, 1024x768px
>>9052259
Looks a lot like my experiments at KSP.
Except I recycled every kerbal to kethane afterwards.
>>
>>9052298
It has nothing to do with aerodynamic pressure you brainlet.

>>9052196
They've got some structural problems with adapting Falcon 9 to this scheme. It would have worked better if it was designed for this from the start.
>>
>>9050923
How did he regrow his hair?
>>
>>9050692
>We already found Asteroids with Huge amounts of rare metals such as Platinum.
No, "we" won't. Not before "we" sent the probe for in situ measurements to determine the composition and the conditions. The astrogeology is still in its infancy.
>>
>>9052461
>All of these elements, according to Mr. Musk, required a complete redesign of the central-core’s airframe.
>“The amount of load you’re putting through that center core is crazy because you have two super powerful boosters also shoving that center core,” stated Mr. Musk.
>“So [we broke] the qualification levels on so much of the hardware [that] we had to redesign the whole center-core airframe on the Falcon 9 because it’s going to take so much load.

You're the fucking brainlet.
>>
>>9052467
I repeat it has nothing to do with the air pressure. Learn to understand what you've just read fucking retard.
>>
>>9052470
>lol you're wrong bro, not gonna tell you why, but you're wrong
/sci/ in nutshell
>>
>>9052473
fuck you're dense
airframe != dynamic pressure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airframe
>>
>>9052473
To put it short, the core is experiencing triple loads from the upper stage being accelerated by all those 27 engines. Which it wasn't originally designed to do.
>>
>>9052476
Airframe is designed among many things to WITHSTAND aerodynamic pressure. Jesus.
>>
>>9052483
>autism
The ascent profile and dynamic pressure is roughly the same for both Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy. What he was referring to is the heavier payload and the stronger thrust could make the core collapse until it's modified to withstand that.
>>
>>9052489
Collapse from what if not the air hitting it?
>>
File: 14122680936410.jpg (11KB, 200x193px) Image search: [Google]
14122680936410.jpg
11KB, 200x193px
>>9052491
>/sci/ in a nutshell
>>
>>9052462
hair transportation surgery or something, google is your friend
>>
>>9052491
the weight of the second stage + payload, multiplied several times because of acceleration

and the torque of side boosters trying to squeese the core
>>
>>9052491
Structural stresses.
>>
File: 1496349848207.jpg (65KB, 692x960px) Image search: [Google]
1496349848207.jpg
65KB, 692x960px
>>9052424
>Then why Elon is so sad?
>>
>>9053080
Because his girlfriend is a slut (and looks especially like a slut in that photograph) who, despite fucking an alcoholic junkie and domestic abuser for six years, still got her claws into a billionaire and tries to look like a cutesy teenager at the age of 31? Forget SpaceX, he's probably getting cucked literally by the Rock or some shit.
>>
>>9052455
>Such is colonization
>Time to build somewhere to grow shit
>>
>>9052464
>doesn't understand what spectroscopy is
We can make educated guesses on what a particular stellar body is made of
yes we'll need to send a prospecting drone there to really find out, but this method can give us a estimate of what's there, And thus we have a catalog of what asteroids probably have what
>>
>>9053200
>We can make educated guesses on what a particular stellar body is made of

Your a retard
With all our sensors and technology and experience we can't make accurate guesses of whats under our FEET

Nevermind whats an asteroid made of
>>
>>9053200
As anon said, you're retarded. No amount of spectroscopy will tell you what to expect here on a level sufficient for commercial use. A remote educated guess is not sufficient by any measure, and even the result of the gorillion-dollar probe scanning/drilling it will probably not be enough. You'll have to design and launch a custom probe and a custom excavating complex for specific conditions on a particular asteroid, making decisions from very incomplete data in between

I'm not even talking about how to return all this crap, and how long it will take due to orbital mechanics and available propulsion
>>
>>9049039
And that make him an engineer?
>>
>>9049124
Look at how fast consumer tech is evolving just because there is sikk money to be made.

And there is a LOT of money to be made in space.
>>
>>9053165
Build what from what exactly?
Colonizing means you have your habitat delivered, deployed and tested before you arrive, at the bare minimum. Building a manned rocket to nowhere without making something to live in at the same time doesn't make any sense, SLS + Orion are getting bashed because of that. And SLS can at least be repurposed to keep the status quo by building just another space station if everything else fails.
>>
>>9053391
>And there is a LOT of money to be made in space.
Not exactly a lot. Remote sensing is pretty much saturated right now, only LEO networking is somewhat promising but not there yet and the future is unclear. Orbital manufacturing, tourism etc is a shitty scifi meme since 80s.
>>
File: 1487885134837.png (1MB, 1089x816px) Image search: [Google]
1487885134837.png
1MB, 1089x816px
so they build that mars rocket smaller? how much smaller? musk seemed depressed not in high spirits at all
>>
>>9048947
>he's not an engineer, he has a degree in physics

This is the most retarded thing I've ever heard on this board.
>>
>>9053655
New, are you?
>>
b-but muh vision
>>
File: landing.png (30KB, 529x305px) Image search: [Google]
landing.png
30KB, 529x305px
We're still on course for Mars lads.
>>
>We need to build a base on the moon
But this is correct. Mars is a meme and the moon is a far more important object.
>>
>>9048924
>Everything is harder
It is the easiest place to mine and build shit on outside our planet. It is crucial for making a real human presence in space.
>>
>>9054338
>we
>>
>>9054338
>we can't even make a simple lander
>let's make a vastly bigger one
This is going to end good.
>>
>>9048889
muh energy subsidies
>>
>>9052222
>when we still haven't even bothered to check for water on the poles
NASA surveyed the shit out of them with LCROSS and LRO. Lavochkin is going to do it too with their new Luna landers, they are slow as always though.
>>
>>9048910
>Hes an engineer, which all of /sci/ agrees is more important than scientists.

At a gloryhole, maybe
>>
Why doesn't Musk support nuclear instead of falling for the solar meme?
>>
>>9054512
Solar is nuclear power. Why build pathetic nuke plants that'll last 100 years *maybe* when we've a massive nuclear furnace sitting over our heads set to burn for a few billion more years?
>>
>>9054512

he does support nuclear for Mars and has said so in the past

there is a new NASA small nuclear reactor for space under development

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilopower

one of a few worthwhile things NASA spends money on nowadays
>>
>>9054534
>Solar is nuclear power.
The pedantry is unnecessary. You know what I meant.
>Why
Because the production of solar panels is unclean as hell, they're useless at night or during unsuitable weather, and they're not very good right now anyway?
>pathetic nuke plants that'll last 100 years
You should be comparing that to panel lifespan.
>>9054535
Neat. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
>>
>>9054634
>the production of solar panels is unclean as hell
Their waste products are not even in the same ballpark of dangerous as nuclear waste.
>>
>>9048889
When will people learn that /g/ is retarded?
They can code, but they sure can't do anything else.
>>
File: 1487963815826.jpg (20KB, 370x255px) Image search: [Google]
1487963815826.jpg
20KB, 370x255px
>all these naysayers
>mfw first FH doesn't blow up, plus they stick the landings
>>
>>9048892
>taking taxpayer money

Go back to /pol
>>
>>9054805
still hoping that they launch a full size schoolbus or something. More cheese would be lame
>>
>>9054825
/pol/ likes elon, you whiny shit
>>
>>9048889
>When u hit with the full weight of a Van Allen belt

>Moonbase
Goodbye Moon.
>>
>>9049124

ofc they will you communist
>>
>>9048910
>which all of /sci/ agrees is more important than scientists
no one of value has ever said or thought that for even one second.
my calculator could be an engineer. these people do nothing. they have never had a single thought in their lives. now go gag on musk's two inch pocket rocket pls
>>
>>9058381
>ofc they will you communist

In the last 40 years since NASA went to the moon the private sector hasn't made any progress. "of course they will" seems a little ridiculous to assume.
>>
>>9058618
Past performance is no indicator of future performance.

Do you even invest, bro?
>>
>>9059530
>Past performance is no indicator of future performance.

well, ever since we decided to pay private companies in tax dollars to build rockets that they will then sell back to the government for more tax dollars things have been picking up some steam. But that seems more like bullshit corruption that a success of the free market, and/or private sector.
>>
>>9050295
the chinese are creating a business monopoly in africa, they are not colonizing it.
>>
Didn't he get into relationship with that famous hardcore liberal gold digger recently, after which he went apeshit against the president and was removed from that sciency board or whatever thingy? Probably all just a coincidence.
>>
>>9059542
Who cares who sits on the throne when you control their economy.
>>
>>9049849
Yeah but those were meant to be used in orbit and not after reentry. Those kinds of hatches weld themselves shut after reentry. You need something like the shuttle's landing gear using silica tiles. SpaceX decided to make their own version of NASA's PICA heatshield that was cheaper for them to make so I presume starting from zero with a new (perhaps more complex?) design to make the landing gear work just isn't within their budget and time constraints.
>>
>>9052462

By working 100hrs a week, every week
>>
>>9053456

9 meters in diameter, as opposed to the original 12. It will still be the most powerful rocket ever by far.
>>
>>9054350
>we can't

No, the plan changed. They aren't doing side mounted engines anymore, they're doing belly-flop reentry and a backflip to slow down using the main engines. Red Dragon was not going to tell them anything useful about how that bellyflop-backflip maneuver would work.
>>
>>9060006
Well I think the main point is that the Dragons are super expensive & slow to build
They don't want to make too many of em
>>
>>9054395

>landers land and take samples using a core drill down to ten meters
>surprise it's fucking nothing
>>
>>9055151
>greyhound bus with cheese strapped to every seat, cheese in driver's seat has a uniform
>>
>>9058440
>be 190 iq physicist
>waste entire life drawing pretty equations on paper on topics that won't be falsifiable for decades and billions of dollars in government cheese
>die
>life work based on literally zero experimental evidence crumbles 25 years later when some brainlet experimentalist breaks my pet theory

Meanwhile, your average engineer will contribute millions of dollars worth of value to the economy, with R&D engineers turning materials, designs, and processes that were previously insurmountably expensive into products that can be used in everyday life.

Some scientists are important, some scientists also play critical roles in the engineering pipeline. Fact remains, 99% of pure scientists are kinda worthless, and the same cannot be said for engineers.

Also, engineers don't really calculate. If a machine can do it, engineers will use software instead of calculating anything by hand. The utility of an engineer is in the ability to design, generate new ideas, and figure out ways to work around the limitations of prevailing technologies - a bit outside of the scope of a calculator.
>>
>>9053379
Sort of.
>>
>>9053379
Mostly a CEO that predominately hires engineers.
>>
>>9050938
apparently they'd grow up with weaken bones, etc, although as no child has ever been born in space we cannot say for definite what will happen
>>
>>9053398
>is a shitty scifi meme since 80s
when you say meme why don't you say idea instead?
>>
>>9061357
>Meanwhile, your average engineer will contribute millions of dollars worth of value to the economy, with R&D engineers turning materials, designs, and processes that were previously insurmountably expensive into products that can be used in everyday life.

Brainlet detected, none of these things matter. Theoretical science is about getting closer to God aka the truth, so that in the end you too can get that phenotype.
(also I don't know shit about physics, don't know what gave you the impression I was a physicist)
>>
>>9053149
>you gotta fuck who I say you should fuck and act like I want you to act at a given age because I'm a mentally ill sociopath that knows all about how these things should be from living my life on 4chan

Calm down, you fat fuck. You should put some of that effort on losing a hundred pounds,
>>
>>9048889
wow who would have thought this would happen.
>>
File: lmao2.png (503KB, 601x420px) Image search: [Google]
lmao2.png
503KB, 601x420px
>>9062186
>Theoretical science is about getting closer to God aka the truth
>>
>>9048889
Guess the board decided science wasn't profitable enough.
>>
>>9050479
More like his ingeneers ;)
>>
>>9050307
>Goverment funded = capitalism
Try harder
Thread posts: 292
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.