[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If time was rewinded, would things turn out the same way?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 1468961986982.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1468961986982.png
1MB, 1366x768px
Let us wind the Universe back in time by a few billion years. Then we let time run normally again. The question is: considering the "randomness" of things, would the Universe turn out to different? Or would everything be exactly the same?
>>
there's no such thing as time
>>
>>9045852
>>9045853
Owned that nerd.
>>
File: jylland.png (301KB, 348x469px) Image search: [Google]
jylland.png
301KB, 348x469px
pls japan win the war this time
>>
no because quantum physics
/thread
>>
If wave functions exist then yes.

If the wave functions don't exist and are just a tool to calculate the random outcomes of a Copenhagen-esque universe then no.
>>
>>9046107
Which is more likely to be true then?
What do most scientists tend to believe is the right one?
>>
>>9045942
Everyone knows anime exists because the radiation from Hiroshima and Nagasaki warped their minds. If Japan wins the war, there is no anime.
>>
>>9046137
>What do most scientists tend to believe is the right one?
Nobody really subscribes to Copenhagen interpretation anymore because it's kinda fucked up in multiple ways.
>>
>>9046101
Quantum physics states a single wavefunction for the whole universe that contains all the info about the system so the outcome would always be the same
>>
>>9045852
All comes down to if the universe is actually deterministic, and the source of the supposed "randomness". Something can appear fundamentally random but be generated deterministically. Obviously.

The core question is if the means for the universe to be what it is, and do what it does, is entirely self contained, or if it's dependent on something "external" and "apart from" it. If it is dependent on something external, the answer would be in its nature and the nature of the thing containing it, if there is such a thing.

The main issue is that our logic is limited, and possibly this universe's ability to actually support the existence of any machine with logic that could approximate the workings of the external, is simply not there. The means may not be there. It could be outside of this universe's logic.

The modern physicists fear is that it will come to a point where physics is just philosophy presented with mathematical arguments. Experimentalists would have long faded out at this point. And again they would only be as Democritus, Lepponicus, and Parmenides, et al.
>>
>>9046193
Ok... So you are saying the Universe would turn out the same? I mean, I asked an "X or Y" question if you read the thread, and your answering "yes".
>>
>>9046210
>your
you're*
>>
Are individual quantum effects even significant enough to actually change how the universe would play out in OPs scenario?
>>
>>9046215
Honestly didn't realize that. Do you want to know what? I used to always type with perfect grammar, and at one point started using "your" as "you're" ironically, but after all these years of internet, I think I unironically use you and you're interchangeably, without even noticing it.
>>
>>9046220
The changes would be more noticeable as time passes. After the first 100 million years things are barely any different. After the first billion years there are stars you normally wouldn't see.
I think if you rewinded time by a mere 10,000 years, all of human history would have turned out differently, because the shit in our brains happens mostly due to electrons. Even if history was more or less equal to what it is today, a lot of things, no, pretty much everything would be different, in detail. I mean, America could be spelled with a k as in Amerika, brits would call university "college" and Amerikans call college "university", Donald Trump could be bald, etc.
>>
>>9046210
Yes but the universe is essentially a universal wave function. Our experience only maps onto a small portion of it.
>>
>>9046222
Environmentally induced maladaptation at work anon. You must again draw it to the forefront of your mind, and recover proper grammar. As long as we aren't using a deliberately engineered language, it is more valuable to just be correct. I ignore the bulk of syntactic formalities though, and write in a way that will be easily, and accurately, parsed. One example is my frequent use of comma splices and arbitrary comma usage in general.
>>
bampu
>>
File: what colour is your soul.jpg (1MB, 1698x1131px) Image search: [Google]
what colour is your soul.jpg
1MB, 1698x1131px
>>9046253
was very easy to read
10/10
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.