[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1475236378631.png (63KB, 2000x1935px) Image search: [Google]
1475236378631.png
63KB, 2000x1935px
tell me /sci/, what the fuck does Pi have to do with probability distributions and expectations? Why is Pi in those sorts of formulas? What does average rainfall, which follows Gaussian distribution, have to do with circles?!?!

Why is Pi in sop many equations?!
>>
The gaussian distribution can be written as sinusoids.
>>
idk man the taylor series for e^z can be decomposed into some sin and cos shit nigga
>>
>>9044539
Fine. What about other, totally circle-unrelated equations, that have Pi in them... why is Pi there? What does Pi have to do with things that have nothing to do with circles?
>>
>>9044531
>What does Pi have to do with things that have nothing to do with circles?
It might help if you gave some examples.
>>
OP doesn't understand the gaussian integral
>>
>>9044531
If π you see pi somewhere, then there is a circle "hiding". A circle is a very general and simple thing and you describe stuff using its concept very often, even without noticing it.
It's not that π is special, it's just that the circle is something really fundamental.

If you want to actually see where the circle hides in some specific example, then just read the proof and see how it pops up.
>>
>>9044547
They do have to do with circles... because they can be represented with pi.
>>
>>9044531
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/904648/intuitive-reason-for-why-the-gaussian-integral-converges-to-the-square-root-of-p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTyPuZ9-JZ0
>>
>>9044615
I'm not looking for a proof. I'm looking for intuition and deeper understanding of math.

I'd like to know why Pi pops up in so many, seemingly unrelated, equations.
>>
>>9044628
It is because circles are everywhere. It's like one of the simplest things out there, like a straight line segment. That's why you see π everywhere.

If you can't get intuition from a proof, then you don't understand the proof well enough.
>>
>>9044628
don't think of circles as in euclidian x and y, think of it as a relation between 2 variables
>>
>>9044671
>don't think of circles as in euclidian x and y, think of it as a relation between 2 variables
Please expand anon. You seem to be a non-elitist and have some deeper insight. How does a relation of two variables end up as 'circles'?
>>
>>9044687
The formula for a circle (at the origin) is x^2+y^2 = radius^2. This is a consequence of the Pythagorean theorem (it's the set of all possible points that have the property that they are exactly "radius" distance from the origin).

If your workings ever come across two variables squared, you can probably get a circle out of it.

Also you can show by Taylor Series that e^(ix)=cos(x)+i*sin(x), so you can work with circles from exponential functions, too.
>>
>>9044782
very interesting. thanks!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.