[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

help me ventilate my basement /sci/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: plan.png (23KB, 945x539px) Image search: [Google]
plan.png
23KB, 945x539px
i live in my parents' "basement" (it actually is on ground level and has a direct door to the yard). i already have an AC but i hate using it and it makes me feel weird. i love using fans (got 2 of them) but since i only have one window it feels impossible to get the heat out of my room. pic related is my current setup: while i feel a bit of cool air while sitting on my desk, the room in general still feels hot.
is there a better setup to blow the heat out of my room? my room stays above 30 C even at night when it is 24 C outside...
>>
File: fans.png (74KB, 945x560px) Image search: [Google]
fans.png
74KB, 945x560px
>>9039273
where does the open netted door lead to, the yard?

you need to push the hot air out
>>
>>9039308
kek
but isn't pushing air inefficient? especially against a net...
>>
File: the final solution.png (48KB, 945x539px) Image search: [Google]
the final solution.png
48KB, 945x539px
>>9039273

Trying to pull the hot air out of the room will never work, there will always be hot air that is thermodynamically and mechanically stable. In order to eliminate this hot air, you must face both the fans inward.
>>
>>9039441
but in order for the cold air to come in, other air must go out. and if i push air from both sides, then the air that must escape outside will grind against the cold air that tries to come in. it is like people coming off a train shoving people going inside - inefficient.
UNLESS
if i pull cold air inside on the ground level, hot air will have enough room to escape from the top without disturbing the cold air the comes in. or should this be the other way around?
makes me think tbhfam
>>
Just have an exhaust fan somewhere near the ceiling blowing outside and have a passive intake somewhere low to the ground. Heat rises.
>>
File: air.png (20KB, 945x539px) Image search: [Google]
air.png
20KB, 945x539px
>>9039273
>>
>>9039441
Mech engineer here, this >>9039441 is retarded.
If you want to cool your room with outside air, you have two three options.
1. Induce a draft with a single fan pushing air outside
2. Induce a draft with a single fan pulling air inside
3. Use two fans, one pushing and one pulling
For your case, options 1 and 2 are similar and cheaper than 3. The strength of the draft may or may not be enough to cool your room, depending on the outside air temperature, power of the fan, heat generation and thermal conductivity of your room.
My suggestion is to just use the damn AC.
>>
File: solution.png (31KB, 945x539px) Image search: [Google]
solution.png
31KB, 945x539px
>>9039273
>>
>>9039704
But that's the brilliance, the room fills over capacity with cold air, and all the hot air has to seep into the empty spaces in your mattresses, wall, floor, etc.
>>
>>9039273
What can you tell us about other factors?

If you get sunlight through the door to the yard in the morning or afternoon, you might want to drape a sheet across it to stop your room turning into a greenhouse, leaving a small opening for hot air generated behind the sheet to escape

Hot air goes up, so opening windows upstairs will allow hot air to escape.

It is colder at night so leaving the door open overnight then closing it in the morning will seal in the cold air. Heat is absorbed by the walls so it is especially important to cool your house down early so it has time to release that heat.

Place a fan on the floor in the bathroom doorway and pointing it towards your desk to stir up the air then another one pointing out the main door.
>>
>>9040402
my suggestion, is that you start rethinking your carrier path.

I mean, pulling air in AND pushing it out? and not even out to anywhere far away like China or the Philippines?

engineers should be banned on sight
>>
Get a cooler full of liquid nitrogren, close the windows and doors, and thank your parents for the comfortable existence
>>
File: moreinfo.png (87KB, 2770x1888px) Image search: [Google]
moreinfo.png
87KB, 2770x1888px
>>9042592
yeah i should have specified other things:
>in the pic i posted, up is north, left is west etc.
>wind comes from the west or north west 95% of the year
>i live in northern hemisphere so the sun is always to my south, but my door gets slight sunlight only in the morning and evening.
>my sole window have a plastic roof above it so it is always shaded
>my net door bottom is solid plastic, only the upper part is a net
>my basement is sealed from the rest of my parents' house so no doors to open. southern and eastern walls have other rooms behind them.
>my basement has another floor above which helps me by soaking all the sunlight
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.