[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Cohen the last Math logician to win the fields medal?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: friedman.jpg (35KB, 200x299px) Image search: [Google]
friedman.jpg
35KB, 200x299px
There are some BASED mathematical logicians like Harvey Friedman, Stephen Simpson, William Gasarch, George Boolos, Theodore Slaman, etc.

It almost seems like a political decision to ignore mathematical logicians.
>>
All of those logicians seem to have something in (((common))), but I can't put my finger on what it is. ;)
>>
>>9038940
what might that be anon
>>
>>9038921
Logic used to be a nice meme because the incompleteness theorems basically went against the intuition of every mathematician so people started admiring these logicians who could prove new statements about the nature on mathematics in the hope that one day one of them would prove something that we liked.

Then none of that happened, but we saw how practically meaningless the incompleteness theorems were because the complexity of our theorems has gone from 0 to 9001 in just the past century and we are still doing good proving everything around us, so now the interest of the general mathematician has gone back to usual mathematics: number theory, geometry and algebra.

You are a relic of the past.
>>
>>9038921
>George Boolos
he's long dead anon
>>
Why is it that every Cohen I've met has that same hairless rat look?
>>
>>9038921
>Harvey Friedman
too old
>Stephen Simpson
too old
>William Gasarch
too old
>George Boolos
dead
>Theodore Slaman
too old
>>
>>9038979
They weren't too old all their life.

>>9038965
You know nothing about modern logic.
>>
>>9038976
It's a (((cohen)))cidence.
>>
>>9038940
im a brainlet, and most sci threads might as well be written in arabic. nor do i code at all, but i feel validated knowing that was a lisp joke
>>
>>9038979
>>9038965
Go back to r9k with your low baits
>>
>>9038965
Can you explain the incompleteness theorems to a brainlet? My professors seemed to think they implied that there was no such thing as objective truth/mathematical facts
>>
>>9039595
He doesn't understand modern logic & is baiting. Ignore his reply .
>>
>>9038921
Logic is fucking boring, that's why. Furthermore, it has been fully explored. Combine that with the fact that you only win a Fields Medal if you publish something interesting, and you have a perfect storm that essentially bans logicians from the competition.
>>
Is logic worth studying in undergrad? I hear classmates talk about taking it but it sounds pointless and dumb. Same question for set theory.
>>
>>9039595
your professors are retards

There are SOME things that are true but can't be proven, becuase the theorem would require an infinite number of steps.

Thats the basic summary, the derivation of the theorem has to do with types of infinity and cardinality and stuff like that. I dont remember the exact method desu
>>
>>9040112
Thanks fampai. So the Incompleteness Theorems don't impinge at all upon the idea of mind-independent reality/truth?
>>
>>9040167
I dont believe so.
>>
>>9040014
I've taken a few logic courses and explored areas in second order arthimetic, Ramsey theory, combinatorics, etc. Highly suspect you haven't seen logic at a higher level. Mathematical logic is different than the propositional calculus and truth tables you see in math 101 classes. Your statement shows how dumb you are as a math student.

>>9040084
Yes. Take a graduate level course in model theory/proof theory/recursion theory/set theory and category theory if your school offers them. Set theory was a cool subject to dive deep into. According to what I've seen from /sci/ very few people understand forcing here.

>>9040014
Most certainly doesn't understand higher level set theory or any proof/model theory.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.