[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eternal recurrence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (32KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 400x400px
Why hasn't this caught on as an understanding of life and death. It is the only theory that has mathematical support, which is far more than any religion can say.
>>
It is to say whatever we are doing will last literally forever and there is no way out of this hell.
>>
>>9037980
>Mathematical support
You have yet to basically explain any of this. In what context does life (and death) recur? Is it on the level of our planet? Our universe?
>>
>>9037996
Poincare recurrence theorem. An incomprehensibly long time. Do your own research.
>>
>>9037995
But if whatever we're doing lasts forever that means literally anything could happen.
>>
>>9038067
ER is a simple concept. Time is infinite, and matter is finite, so over an infinite timeline all possibilities no matter how obscure become certainties, including one identical to your current life.

We've all lived and died an infinite amount of times in the exact same way, and will continue to do so, but death provides a type of cosmic amnesia which gives life the illusion of uniqueness and meaning. The fabric of our reality hinges on this concept.
>>
>>9038089
That sounds cool as fuck senpai-chan. It means I can do whatever I want as long as I don't die
>>
>>9038781
What if your alternative timeline self jumps into this universe and tries to kill you in order to assume your life timeline.
>>
>>9038808
Then I'll jump forward right before him and assume my other alt timeline self's life.
>>
>>9038089
Matter is not infinite, and that's not what eternal recurrence means.
Poincare recurrence is dank though. Some quantum physics models suggest an identical universe spawns billions of billions of years after heat death, so that's some manner of materialist eternal recurrence philosophy.
>>
>>9038883
I wrote "matter is finite".
>>
>>9038781
No it means that you will do what you've always done for all eternity.
>>
>>9039071
But how will I know what I've done before I do it? If I don't know it's gonna happen it might as well be happening for the first time
>>
>>9037980
>>9038089
Read "War Eternal" series, by M.R. Forbes.

I think of it like the infinite monkey thing. Just because it is infinite doesn't mean anything meaningful will occur. Each recursion may not include what exists now and only include a loop with nothing in it.
>>
ER cannot be understood as the recurrence of what is identical, for if there is something which always returns in an infinite amount of time than that object or thing is also infinite, and therefore it is a unified and meaningful (platonic form, the Absolute, etc.) We must understand ER as the return of difference, and that there is no underlying unity or persistence of some absolute.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.