[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is there any real chance the hyperloop works? Everything I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

So is there any real chance the hyperloop works? Everything I know about physics (admittedly not much) screams at me that there is no way. Thoughts?
>>
the thing is a bullet train in a vacuum tube
we are more than capable of making both

temperature expansion and breaches can be solved by putting the bloody thing underground
>>
>>9037156
>Everything I know about physics (admittedly not much) screams at me that there is no way.
lol at least you're honest
>>
why

he's already building it
>>
inb4 dumb thunderfoot video
>>
>>9037166
would make replacement or repairs significantly more difficult, but that actually sounds like a reasonable solution
>>
>>9037454
Why? It's not like we can't repair subways. Surely there's a failsafe in case it breaks midway though the tunnel
>>
Website still says
>will test the full system in early 2017

>We're going to revolutionize transportation!
>doesn't know how to update the website

It's never going to happen, not from these folks anyways.
>>
>>9037454
It also makes terrorist attacks much more difficult. Problem is the whole "digging a massive transcontinental tunnel" deal
>>
>>9037474
>he never created a website only to never update
Updating websites is for brainlets who are not doing real work
>>
>>9037156
It will work for exactly what it's supposed to do.

Suck tax payer money and funnel it to yet another plutocrat.
>>
>>9037156
physically, yes
economically, probably not
>>
>>9037156
you've been watching too many thunderfoot videos on youtube.

The point is, skeptics like him refute claims that haven't been made. At this moment we know what hyperloop is, but we don't know what the exact plans are of what is going to be built.

Is the claim that hyperloop will be a transcontinental train that will take you in a short time from new york to paris?
If so, then that's unlikely to happen.

Is the claim that hyperloop will replace all bullet train transport by 2030?
If so, that's also unlikely to happen

Is the claim that hyperloop will work using a vacuum chamber design and your counterclaim is that we don't have the technology to make this work?
This is debatable, mostly because there are too many variables left undiscussed. Maybe the current hyperloop plans don't even want to reduce the chamber to 0 pressure but are being designed to work at 50% or 15% of Mean sea level pressure.

In a debate arena or scientific community hence it's quite looked down upon normally to make extremely vague, unfalsifiable claims for this reason. However, we can't blame the hyperloop designers for not talking more about it because they could still make changes to design, or just want to keep trade secrets until it's complete.
>>
>>9037156
That tank wasn't designed to hold pressure
>>
>>9038929
No dumbass, you meant to say vacuum. Either they pumped it out without opening a valve to let air in, or they filled it up with a hot fluid which then cooled down.
>>
The basic tech behind this is pretty easy. Magnetic levitation and vacuum tubes have been around for what...?... a hundred plus years.
Making a vacuum tube that is a couple of hundred kilometers long is also easily achieved, you just need regular pumping stations and gates at certain intervals. Easy peasy.

The kicker with this shit though, this is the problem which is going to make this whole thing totally unviable. Is buying all the property to put the tracks on. You can't use the existing rail corridors cos they aint straight.
This is the same reason there is no high speed rail on the eastern seaboard of the US. Buying all the property would cost trillions. It'd be cheaper to put it underground but building a rail tunnel that long will still cost trillions and would likely take upwards of a hundred years to build.

I think the reason that Elon Musks crew want to put their hyperloop between San Fran and LA is because there is a lot of relatively empty land between the two cities. But I reckon the best case scenario is that they build a track that only ends up running to a point 40 kilometres outside of town, no one uses it, and the whole thing goes bankrupt.

If this thing ever gets off of the ground it's gonna require some sort of transformative technology that either makes it easy and cheap and fast to build massively long tunnels or they tie it to a long series of balloons and it floats in the sky.

The Chinese will no doubt build one though. They are pretty good at wasting obscene amounts of money on unprofitable rail projects.
>>
Space is 3D. The graph of The probability of collision versus Pressure is not linear. I am too drunk to work out the relationship, but the bottom line is you don't have to reduce the pressure by much to decrease the friction by a lot. That is why planes fly at 20000 feet.
>>
>>9039770
>gonna require some sort of transformative technology that either makes it easy and cheap and fast to build massively long tunnels
Well he did fund The Boring Company so I'm pretty sure he'll find a way to make it profitable.
>>
>>9039822
>The Boring Company
Well shit,
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.