[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I demand answers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: orangutan flange flanged male 9.jpg (174KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
orangutan flange flanged male 9.jpg
174KB, 683x1024px
Can plants have personalities? Yes or no, and explain what exactly constitutes as personality
>>
>>9033611
No.
>>
>>9033619
They all probably react to stimuli slightly differently, and so the answer could be a 'maybe yes'.
>>
File: 1150055.jpg (279KB, 502x335px) Image search: [Google]
1150055.jpg
279KB, 502x335px
>>9033619
That's not enough of an answer buddy
>>9033620
You gave a possible definition for personality, so I guess that will do for now
>>
No, plants would need long term memory, or a brain for that matter, for a personality. If they can somehow think without one maybe, but most likely, no
>>
File: PRM_05_GR0017_01_P.jpg (124KB, 510x349px) Image search: [Google]
PRM_05_GR0017_01_P.jpg
124KB, 510x349px
>>9033658
There is legit behavioral research in animals which includes spiders
I am not convinced that long-term memory and thinking is somehow a requirement for personality, so unless you give arguments for why that is so, your opinion is discarded
>>
>>9033669
>There is legit behavioral research in animals which includes spiders
Source: Animal Personalities: Behavior, Physiology, and Evolution
>>
File: p04scvdt.jpg (87KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
p04scvdt.jpg
87KB, 720x405px
>>9033611
Yes.

I had a pet dandelion called Egbert and he told the funniest jokes.
>>
>>9033611
No, you need a central nervous system to have a "you". A plant is a cluster of cells that works together to stay alive.
>>
File: 800px_COLOURBOX8234451.jpg (168KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
800px_COLOURBOX8234451.jpg
168KB, 800x533px
>>9033748
Anecdotes and imaginary friends don't count
>>9033863
>No, you need a central nervous system to have a "you".
And why is that?
Besides, the way I see it personality is simply different types of behaviour
I'm not asking if plants have identities
>>
>>9033906
>>9033863

we are also just clusters of cells. I think all of us will agree that consciousness or the abilities of our brain aren't instrinsic to its structural qualities (i.e. being made of specific types of neurons). Surely its possible that there can be analogues of a central nervous system - atleast doing a similar role - that isn't made from neurons.

don't know if relevant to personality but this is a legit very interesting article on plant cognition. It also looks at potential cells in a plant that can have similar roles as a central nervous system

http://rsif.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/14/131/20170096.abstract
>>
>>9033611
desu im not sure we can answer this question properly because we define personality usually in purely human terms. it might not apply at all to plants unless you yourself can find a good definition.
>>
File: 9780199539543.jpg (16KB, 180x237px) Image search: [Google]
9780199539543.jpg
16KB, 180x237px
>>9033999
Lovely numbers
If you are interested I actually read this
But most of it I have forgotten so I want to reread it
>>
>>9034005
There is personality research on animals, I imagine personality as different types of behaviour
Of course then we need to define behaviour, which I would describe as different reactions towards stimuli

If the same species of plants differ in the way they react to stimuli, say light, herbivores and so on, you could argue that plants might indeed have personalities

Intuitively it of course makes no sense for plants to have personality, but if you reduce personality to behaviour, behaviour to reactions to stimuli, one could make the case for it - and feel free to prove this wrong
>>
>>9033658
>>9033611
Plants can adapt to their micro-climate environment & special stimuli then display characteristics that the same species will not show in a different environment or with different stimuli.
>>
>>9033658
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrrSAc-vjG4
>>
>>9033611
No. They probably do not have a self-referential subjective experience, although I have a suspicion that a plants vascular system or root-myco networks. They do have umwelten however.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.