[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reaction Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: rxn1.png (9KB, 985x137px) Image search: [Google]
rxn1.png
9KB, 985x137px
How would undergo the following chemical elimination of an ethylene group from a hydrocarbon?

See pic
>>
that would be R- right?
>>
>>9031941
We're removing the stuff attached to R to just get R remaining (R is generic hydrocarbon)
>>
Simply use an hydrophobic molecule as a ligand to the hydrocarbon.I know ethylene is not water but its structure kinda close.
>>
>>9031875
im assuming you mean R-H?
just R would have to be a radical or ion
>>
>>9032483
what the fuck are you on about
>>
File: noname01.gif (3KB, 567x210px) Image search: [Google]
noname01.gif
3KB, 567x210px
>>9031875
As an option
>>
>>9035704
Did you use a piece of software to make this scheme or did you just find it?

Also,
>O-Na ionic bond represented with the line used to indicate covalent bonding
Ew
>>
>>9036251
In ACD Labs drew. The ionic bond is a special case of covalent
>>
>>9036352
>The ionic bond is a special case of covalent

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>9036529
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionic_bonding
read 6th section
>>
>>9035704

>using sodium hydroxide to break down a carboxylate into carbonate and a carbanion leaving group

Holy shit
>>
>>9036547
>using sodium hydroxide to break down a carboxylate into carbonate and a carbanion leaving group
what is it
>>
>>9036541
If you mean the comparison with covalent bonding section, that doesn't show ionic bonding is a special case of covalent. It shows bonding is a spectrum with the idealised ionic bond at one end and the idealised covalent bond at the other, and bonds in real life fall in between.
>>
>>9036604
I mean that the ionic bond is an extreme case of polarization of the covalent polar bond. And the fact that in the picture the ionic bond is shown as covalent, it's because the program draws covalent bonds by default, and I'm lazy to change something.
>>
>>9036640
Or the covalent bond is an extreme case of electron sharing for the ionic bond

That's a fair enough reason to draw it that way, I was just nitpicking tbf
>>
>>9036676
It's good that you understand. Because I didn't really understand what you meant to say
>If you mean the comparison with covalent bonding section, that doesn't show ionic bonding is a special case of covalent. It shows bonding is a spectrum with the idealised ionic bond at one end and the idealised covalent bond at the other, and bonds in real life fall in between.
my English is bad
>>
>>9031875
Are we talking catalyst in a single step? Because no way a C-C bonds reacts before a C=C bond

The oxidation into decarboxylation cascade seems cool, although I would use a Krapcho decarboxylation

Also thats called a vinyl group
>>
>>9036689
Imagine two particles where the electronegativity difference is infinite. That's a completely ionic bond, which you'll never find actually existing. Imagine two particles where the electronegativity difference is zero, like in a diatomic molecule with identical particles, like the halogens. That's your idealised covalent bond, which obviously does exist in nature. Every other bond in nature falls somewhere in between these two bonds with respect to the degree of electron sharing.
>>
>>9036741
Thank you, now I understand
>>
>>9036599
As soon as hydroxide reacts with carboxylate a intermediate state is created.

In this intermediate state C-C σ* is much higher in energy than C-O σ*
Since we are using O- np that acts as a nucleophile and HOMO, it will react with C-O σ* LUMO.

In Lewis structure rational, we would say that OH or ONa are much better leaving groups than R.

I appreciate any constructive criticism if you see any errors in my explanation..
>>
>>9036754
Thanks for the explanation, but it was understandable. I did not notice that the different anonyms are ask and I thought that it was still about bonds.
>>
>>9036754
you are right >>9035704 is absolute bullshit
>>
>>9036707
Malonic ester synthesis is cheaper and simpler
>>
>>9036791
What is R tho
>>
>>9036707
>I would use a Krapcho decarboxylation

That's not going to work because of >>9036754

Also, why would you use Krapcho, sodium hydroxide not good enough for you?
>>
>>9036797
Since it's not specified we can assert that it's not important to the overall reaction. Something like simple alkyl group i would assume.
>>
>>9036814
Don't want to use expensive base when there is no need ;)

Honestly I just have better experiences with Krapcho
>>
>>9036873
>expensive base
>sodium hydroxide

Enjoy separating your product from all the gloopy DMSO
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.