[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

He can do the math. Can you?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: temp.png (1MB, 608x1211px) Image search: [Google]
temp.png
1MB, 608x1211px
Hey /sci/, /co/ here. We were arguing about this when this issue of Transformers first came out but everyone's kinda given up since then. It still bugs me though, so maybe you nerds can help us nerds.

How the hell fast does little green robot here need to be moving in order to maintain orbit around a fixed point on earth at five light hours away? And for extra credit, is this kind of zoom lens even fuckin possible?
>>
>>9030999
If it's in orbit then it's not accelerating.
>>
assuming circular motion, speed is equal to (radius)*(speed of revolution)

(5 light hours)*(angular velocity of the earth)
5*60s *299 792 458 m/s *2Pi/60*60*24s=65 371 411 m/s, which is about 20% of the speed of light
>>
>>9031016
ups apparently I can't type in a calculator lol the real answer is 6 540 457 m/s which is about 2% of the speed of light. Still pretty fast eh
>>
>>9031024
That's fast as fuck and so are you, thank you friend.
>>
>>9031016

Are you sure the equation is that simple?
>>
>>9031045
If you really wanted to factor in relativity you could, but at only .2c it's not really a significant factor. I'd be more worried about actually having such a "base" or "station". Five light hours is 5.396e12 m, which is about the distance from the Sun to Pluto. Sure, you're unlikely to hit other planets, but actually taking pictures of Earth would be very difficult from that distance, and the gravitational pull from other planets might also become a problem. Also, the orbital stability would be subject to much smaller changes in velocity, so getting too close to another planet could pull you out of orbit.
>>
>>9030999
Five light hours is WAAAAAAAY too far for a geosynchronous orbit. Using such an orbit for surveillance is so fucking stupid that we can conclude that the transformers are just dumb religious extremists.

Also dark and cold is exactly what machines should like to be
>>
>>9030999
if you're 5 light hours away from earth and traveling at 0.02c then you aren't in any orbit, you would have to use the rockets the whole time to provide a centripetal force, because Earth's gravity would be far too weak to provide it, you can have only one distance describing how far away a geocentric orbit is and in Earth's case it's 3500km away, if you try to go faster your orbit height would increase and your rotational speed wouldn't be synchronised with Earth's anymore so the robot is right he'd have to constantly use his rockets to accelerate to fly around Earth at that speed, the forces wouldn't be balanced so it's not an orbit
>>
>>9031731
Semantics aside, is >>9031024 right?
>>
>>9031015
Please be bait.
>>
>>9032338
Not him but it's not a matter of semantics. And yes, they are both right.
>>
>>9032338
if his calculations are correct then yes
>>
>>9031015
top kek m8
>>
>>9031016

I don't know much about geometry but it can't be that easy. Radius times speed? Really? Shouldn't there be a square root involved or something?
>>
>>9033377
No, the velocity is linearly proportional to the angular velocity and the distance away from the centre of rotation, circumference the path a rotating object takes is also linearly proportional to the radius unlike the surface area of a circle, maybe that's what you don't understand
>>
>>9031016

You set the radius at 5 light minutes,not hours.
I get around 130% speed of light.
>>
>>9033952
Yeah you're right I got the same number but just wasn't confident enough in my math to try and disprove him
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.