[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm an engineer. Hand me a Nobel prize.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: OBFTLC.jpg (521KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
OBFTLC.jpg
521KB, 1200x800px
I'm an engineer. Hand me a Nobel prize.
>>
>>9029997
That's a lot of mass to move around ...
>>
>>9030003
Carbon nanotubes, very small diameter (enough for analyzer device) should suffice.
>>
>>9029997
You're an engineer and you don't know how stresses and disturbances propagate through material? That isn't a rigid body. When you push one side, the other side doesn't move an inch until the disturbance has propagated to the other side, which moves at the speed of sound.
>>
>>9029997
>Hand me a Nobel prize.
Not until you crack the code of Racial effects on IQ.
>>
>>9030020
>Acoustoelastic effects apply to solid objects the same way as to elastic materials
>>
>>9029997
>I'm an engineer.
no you're not
>>9030020
>You're an engineer
he isn't
>>
>>9030030
>solid objects
>>
>>9029997
>I'm an engineer.
scientific opinion disregarded
>>
>>9030003
For you.
>>
>>9030799
Lol, this is why physical discovery has halted. And you physicists always laugh at religious people but Copernicus, etc. were revolutionary physicists (nerdy pun intended). You're so far up your own asses. Did you know that Einstein was religious AND an engineer as well as a physicist?
>>
>>9029997
You're about probably hundreds of years late sorry.
I also had this idea when I was 5 and didn't know any better.
>>
saved
>>
>>9030814
> physical discover has halted because we don't take retards who don't understand physics seriously
okay champ
>>
>>9029997
Geologist here. I relate it to what I know, sorry. You're just creating an earthquake in the object. How do you get the waves to travel faster than light?
>>
>>9030834
The waves warp spacetime so that relative lightspeed increases.
>>
>>9030912
>The waves warp spacetime so that relative lightspeed increases.
what the fuck, energy warps spacetime, not waves.
>>
>>9030931
Waves are energy. How are those different?
>>
>>9029997
>ftl communications

You can't even do that with short pieces of stuff on Earth.

>imagine the amount of expansion and contraction that thing would have with only 1 degree of temperature change
>>
>>9030954
>You can't even do that with short pieces of stuff on Earth.
Earth curvature, gravity and all kinds of other factors come into play if you do this on a planet. Better do it in space to minimize that stuff. Choice of materials also comes into play.

>imagine the amount of expansion and contraction that thing would have with only 1 degree of temperature change
Temperature changes in open space vacuum, are you kidding?
>>
CRUSING AROUND AT THE _____ __ _____
>>
File: X on SCI.png (31KB, 694x968px) Image search: [Google]
X on SCI.png
31KB, 694x968px
>>9030959
>all these excuses

FTL of any kind does not exist.
>>
>>9030965
GOT PLACES TO GO
>>
Lol nobody told OP that the wave will travel at the speed of sound?
>>
>>9029997
>I'm an engineer.
No you're not.

>Hand me a Nobel prize.
This is bait.
>>
>>9030803
This caught me off guard
I leffed
>>
>>9030829
He does kind of have a point.

What if something sounds completely retarded from a physics standpoint but somehow works?
>>
>>9030980
GOTTA FOLLOW MY RAINBOW
>>
File: 1226070360001.jpg (17KB, 514x385px) Image search: [Google]
1226070360001.jpg
17KB, 514x385px
>>9030020
>When you push one side, the other side doesn't move an inch until the disturbance has propagated to the other side, which moves at the speed of sound.
Wait wtf, so you basically tell us that it's impossible to move any solid object faster than the speed of sound...
>>
>>9029997
Man, this brings back memories, this shit was all over /b/ and r9k (before it was the depressive suicide board) in 2009.

The one about jumping before the elevator crashed was also funny.
>>
>>9031055
Scepticism is fine if you have a good reason for being sceptical and some good evidence to back up your opinion. The latter guarantees people will listen to you or at least acknowledge your point, whether you are an expert in your field or not.

Saying "but why can't we just" is not good evidence and just demonstrates a lack of understanding.
>>
>>9029997
So does anyone here actually know why this wouldn't work?
>>
>>9031269
How about actually reading the thread, dingus :^)
>>
>>9029997

enjoy your speed of sound
>>
>>9031272
So you don't know. Okay.
>>
>>9031313
hey idiot, this guy >>9031272 answered your question in one line. trying reading a fucking book before assuming a shitpost on 4channel is accurate
>>
>>9031110
No. Learn how to read.
>>
>>9029997
Certainly a dumb one then.
>>he's not doing engineering that requires taking the speed of sound in solids into account
>>
>>9031415
Nobody has explained why it wouldn't work, moron.
>>
>>9030020
>the speed of sound
>I hope I'm taking air
You are the only person in this thread more retarded than the OP
>>
>>9029997
No but you're wrong.

We are all living inside a computer universe, and the refresh rate for the computer universe only propagates at the speed of light, so it would still take the speed of light time for the thing to move at the other side.

Idiot
>>
>>9031536
you really don't know shit about anything, do you?
read the other correct answers and fuck off
>>
>>9031513
see >>9030020
>>9031529
see >>9031542
>>
>>9031529
Objects have a "speed of sound" too. It's how fast a disturbance or wave travels through the object. A good example would be an earthquake, which doesn't instantly hit all places at once; the wave travels at the speed of sound in the ground.

The speed of sound in air is 330 meters per second, but the speed of sound in granite is 5950 meters per second.
>>
>>9031564
this
that's why in the old wild west train robbers would listen to the rails to know if a train was coming
>>
>>9031564
It's called propagation speed or velocity factor.
>>
>>9031592
It's also called the speed of sound in the specific medium. Their terminology isn't wrong, it's equivalent
>>
>>9029997
The "signal" still propagates through the object. It compresses.
>>
Basic condensed matter uses vibrational ansätze to describe a propagation through a material which has roughly the speed of sound. Thus, pushing your rod would be sufficiently slower than the speed of light
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.