[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can Information Travel Faster Than Light?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: 1320378541082.jpg (69KB, 500x328px) Image search: [Google]
1320378541082.jpg
69KB, 500x328px
I know energy/matter can't move faster than light, but what about information? Could you somehow have particles that were entangled which could transmit information across distance faster than light? Could this possibly give us a loophole to do shit like 3d printing exact copies of us rather than actually moving from one place to another?
>>
>>9025566
>Can Information Travel Faster Than Light?
No.
>>
Usable information, no.

Quantum entanglement is a form of information transfer but it's non-usable information. If you observe a given spin state in an entangled particle, you can infer that its partner, possibly halfway across the galaxy, has the opposite state, but there's no way to transfer the information about which state you observed to the other location faster than light.
>>
>>9025571
im knowledgeable about any of this, but couldnt you use an on/off state to produce information?
>>
>>9025581
>but couldnt you use an on/off state to produce information?
No, because you don't have control over which state actually occurs.
>>
>>9025581
er, im not*** knowledgeable
>>9025593
so if ever you can control the state they are in.... then it would be possible?
>>
>>9025597
If you could control the state they were in, then they weren't in superposition in the first place.
>>
>>9025566
>Could you somehow have particles that were entangled which could transmit information across distance faster than light?
No, popsci is /x/.
>>
The axiom of local commutativity forbids it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wightman_axioms
>>
>>9025617
thanks for the answer, gonna look up some of this stuff now, try and educate myself on it
>>
>>9025566
It's not limited by the speed of light, it's limited by the speed of causality, just as the speed of light is.
>>
>>9025626
Those axioms haven't been proven for the standard model.
>>
>>9025566
You don't KNOW any of what you just said you know. Just saying.
>>
>>9025566
I posit a rigid rod of indeterminate length (yeah yeah, it's my dick). I push the end of the rod that terminates in earth orbit and it instantaneously rings a bell (dong) on a distant planet several light years away.
Exactly what laws have my dick and I broken?
>>
>>9025690
The speed of light is the speed of causality.
>>
>>9026119
Rigid material do not move instantly. Your rod would move at the speed of sound in that material
>>
File: Beavis-1.png (129KB, 534x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Beavis-1.png
129KB, 534x1000px
>>9026119
-heh- -heh-
He said "dong".
-heh-
>>
What if we were able to move the space around us?
That's the leading theory behind FTL travel

There's a patent for it actually; he even reduced the theoretical fuel tank needed to just the size of Jupiter (to test his hypothesis)

In order to travel faster than light we must understand and even somewhat control spacetime
>>
>>9025571
How does quantum entanglement work?
It's faster than light so I'd imagine it has to do with spacetime dimensions
>>
>>9026126
The speed of light is the same as the speed of causality, but only in a vacuum. So the speed of light is not the speed of causality, since that would mean speed of causality is not a constant.
>>
>>9026215
>FTL travel
>leading theory
>>
>>9026351
The speed of light in a medium is not actually the speed of light, rather it is an average time taken by photons to travel a given length in that medium, and it is different from the speed of light in vacuum because of the absorption and emission of the photons by the atoms. But inbetween atoms, the speed of light is the same.

It's like you want to walk from A to B and you're always walking at a constant speed when you walk, but you don't go straight from A to B, instead you visit c and d on the way and sometimes you take a break there. So the average time you take to go from A to B divided by the distance between the two is your average speed for this particular travel (that is for this particular medium). But your actual walking speed is still constant.

So yeah, the speed of causality is the speed of light. Light on average does not travel in a perfectly efficient way in medium other that vacuum, whereas causality does (because causality is a theoretical concept) but that's a different story.
>>
>>9025566
In theory and according to general relativity, yes. According to quantum field theory, no.

According to the Church-Turing-Deutsch principle which I hold to be the one truth you have to accept and will never be able to confirm, probably not.
>>
>>9025571
Why are we so certain that there is a partner particle somewhere far away? That makes no sense.
>>
>>9026119
You broke the law of finite rigidity.
>>
File: 1EQCO025.jpg (31KB, 351x490px) Image search: [Google]
1EQCO025.jpg
31KB, 351x490px
>>9025566
>Could this possibly give us a loophole to do shit like 3d printing exact copies of us rather than actually moving from one place to another?
>>
>>9026381
>he thinks quantum entanglement isn't caused by something effectively FTL
>>
If we could get an object with a huge finite amount of energy to transfer space from in front to behind it, while propelling itself forward shouldn't we have a theoritical limit of ~2c?
>>
>>9025690
>speed of causality
stop with your anime terms plz.
>>
>>9026215
>There's a patent for it actually; he even reduced the theoretical fuel tank needed to just the size of Jupiter (to test his hypothesis)
amazing
>>
>>9028037
yeah sure if you ignore spacetime you don't have any of the problems of spacetime.
>>
>>9025593
But what if the information transfer was "if this changes state according to our quantum asshole then do X"
>>
look imagine observing the location of single particle in space.

so in a way every other particle has the implied information that it is NOT at this position right now, but mind you that this is not the definition of information we have agreed upon
>>
>>9028120
quantum state changes are probabilistic

if you observe a given state there's no way to know if it's that state because it was forced that way by an observation on its entangled particle or by randomness
>>
File: 1485404191039.png (1MB, 1280x832px) Image search: [Google]
1485404191039.png
1MB, 1280x832px
>>9026119
None, the only limiting factor to the expansion speed of your dong is your level of arousal.
>>
>>9026215
couldn't find the patent, yet I found the theory behind it

https://www.space.com/5725-spaceship-fly-faster-light.html
>>
>Can something travel faster than light

Why do you think light has a limit as it is?
>>
>>9025566
>Quantum entanglement
>One particle wiggles one way
>Other wiggles too
But you can't do anything with it.
>>
>>9026404
Okay, thanks for informing me, I've realised I have forggoten a lot of physics I did in the college.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.